Fokker DVII wing query

Peter Roberts

Looking at photos of the Fokker DVII I notice that there are bumps, or nodules on the leading edge of the wings, approximately in line with the interplane struts.

Does anyone know what these are for?

PR

I seem to recall reading that the similar bumps on the L/E of the Dr.I were to protect the L/E of the wings when they were stacked in the factory?

Leading edge protectors as far as I know. Little 'domes' which allowed the wings to be transported by road or stored alongside the fuselage without the need for special cradles etc. to protect the wings leading edges. They are on Dr.1 and D.VIII wings as well.

• Thanks 1

Aha! Thanks guys.

I have read in some reviews that these needed to be added to some models and wondered what they were. 

I have a couple of Roden DVIIs - they are on the upper wing but not the lower. Another 'to do'.

PR

They are, indeed, bumpers to protect the leading edge when wings were stacked. German aircraft were often moved by rail and wings were stacked leading edge down. Rigging wires were often quick release too. I do have photographs of this but have no idea how to post them on here now the photobucket has gone and bucketed itself.

I was at the Memorial Flight workshops a couple of weeks back and one of the guys was making the quick release strut ends for the Brussels museum Aviatik.