Tentative 1/48 Academy Su-30M2

RMP2

Hi guys.

I signed up for this early on and just hope I can still see it through. Work has been away stuff of late, so it might be tricky, but if I dont commit to something then nowt will happen. So here I am.

Still a little undecided re a scheme for it, but regardless, I find the 30 the prettiest of the Flankers and would like to see it done and on/filling a shelf.

Looking at an OOB build, possibly swapping the seat and decals for aftermarket bits, but time will tell. It would also serve as a good kick up the bum for a few almost finished shelf of doom things that deserve some attention.

So.... I guess Im in.

Obligatory photos - it has been mildly started with the forward fuselage bits glued not brilliantly, but thats how I got it and will have to deal with it.

37593610596_a0f7feea18_b.jpg

36971397713_09e15d8791_b.jpg

The decals actually look pretty good, something of a surprise there.

36971397293_511abd1005_b.jpg

Leaning towards the traditional, Russian blues for the camo scheme. I only have room for one "regular" Flanker so its kind of got to be that way. The stashed Su-34 will get that weird purple/grey I reckon for some contrast, one day, sometime.....

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Nice entry. These kits built up well with a bit of patience. If I may, i'd suggest adding the Quickboost resin nose cone as the Academy offering is slightly off.

Cheers, Dave. Ive had a quick look round at cockpit etc and resin seats, didnt realise the nose was another Academy/HB/KH special.... ;)  Ill have a look at the comparisons, but if youve mentioned it then I fear its required. Thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

I do like the Flankers lines, especially the 30, its a very pretty thing, particularly in the light blue camo scheme. I think I have the decals in the box to do this very aircraft and Im liking what I see here, although I was thinking of building it clean, no missiles... I dont generally get along with kit ordnance and spend a small fortune on Eduard stuff... this photo isnt helping:

http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/8/8/0/2065088.jpg?v=v40

Hmmm....

Sukhoi_Su-30M2_at_the_MAKS-2013_(01).jpg

Canopy up, airbrake down, flaps n slats down and some ladders would look... well... just like that there above. I do have some chocks all done n ready, thats something if a backwards start.

The missiles with their noddy caps do add a bit of colour and further interest. Hmm. Maybe I can swap my surplus F-14 Eduard missiles for some Russian versions... via my trade post that is. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Just something about the pale blue camo, good choice. I like sparse to zero ordnance, though if time is spent on it a fully loaded bird can be quite mean looking so can really help. Anything would suit