BlackSheep Scooter

Hello all I’ve hit a bit of a snag here ? Does anyone know which is the correct way to paint the Speedbrake wells on an early “E” ? I’ve seen Red with Red door just like the Flaps ? And I’ve seen White bay red inner doors ? As i haven't found a lot of photo’s with the speedbrake wells open at all ? Im wondering if i should have glued them in ? Sadly i have two sets of Hasegawa instructions and they both only refer to the inner door color ? Nothing about the actual bay ?

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional

Hello Dennis,

Very good job on your Scooter

I've a lot of it to do... Mainly Monogram and Academy..

Must try an Hase ! and see what left to do ...

Nice job anyway, you did great !!

Did I saw a FJ-4 pointing her Blunt nose behind the equally good Phantom ??

Congratulations !!:yes::yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello all I’ve hit a bit of a snag here ? Does anyone know which is the correct way to paint the Speedbrake wells on an early “E” ? I’ve seen Red with Red door just like the Flaps ? And I’ve seen White bay red inner doors ? As i haven't found a lot of photo’s with the speedbrake wells open at all ? Im wondering if i should have glued them in ? Sadly i have two sets of Hasegawa instructions and they both only refer to the inner door color ? Nothing about the actual bay ?

As I can remember, but can't go to check because I must go for the WE

It is red too, in the airbrakes well, but I'm not sure;;; Sorry

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Yes CC you did see an FJ poking in there. It is my Grand Phoenix FJ-4. I am currently working on an Hobby boss Fj and was using that as reference so they are matching. The HB Fury is stalled until i can get more paint. But will be done soon. Then i will do RFI for both.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone another installment of my scooter build. I finally had a few hours between Dr’s visits. So I managed to get the first wave of Decals on. Im using AOA Decals sheet “Battle Scooter 48-009” for the first time here. Very good product so far with only one minor glitch. I’ll blame the design of the kit for the issue more than the decal.

My one issue came with the starboard star & bar that drapes over the re-fueling probe. The decal didn't settle correctly, even though the artwork was stretched to fit as a decal to compensate for this. Mine didn't settle and tore once it dried. No big deal as it is on the underside of the probe. I will touch up the decal with some insignia blue and white. If i could design it myself i would do the decal as a multi-part affair to better conform around hasegawas design error. In reality hasegawa should have made the pipe a full length piece rather than just changing the forward 1/3rd from straight or kinked. 

Anyhow enough of my complaining. Onto the pictures, the first to give you an overall effect. wD145pC.jpg

Then some close-ups. First the nose and the problem decal ⬇️

uNY7z47.jpg

Another view of the offending decal 

kU9ETBx.jpg

Next we see the Starboard vertical stab. This as you can see was a fun time with 13 stars to each side all individual pieces. ⬇️  My favorite are really tiny fiddly stuff like these. But they actually cooperated very well. Another plus for these decals. XY6rwTv.jpg

I took this from above now to AOA’s credit these decals went down like butter no problems even though i thought the vortex generator’s would shred the decals.     ⬇️biHmnM2.jpg

Last up is a photo of the burner can. I already heat stained it, but i think its a touch to dark. Might go over it again to lighten it up. What does the viewing gallery think ? 

sWne4Nk.jpg

Oh and in case you are wondering im not connected to nor do i gain any benefit from talking about AOA Decals. Just giving my opinions of their work and product. As usual I shall ask for any comments ? Questions ? Or jokes from the viewers gallery now ? 

Dennis

Hello Fellow members a small update. I was able to get about half the stencils on. Im really liking these decals way to go AOA. No mess ups yet except as noted. The Star & Bar has been touched up and everything is sitting under a coat of future. I have a few more stencils but most of what i have is for the Pylons and ordnance. I will throw some photo’s up tomorrow. Sadly I didn't have the will to photo and upload them tonight. I also had the scooter up on her legs, thank goodness i have enough weight she sat fine and proud. Any Questions ? Comments ? Or Jokes ?

Dennis

Thanks BIG X ... I didn't belong to any forums before I joined BM. I have a friend that gave me my current stash. He has been telling me since i got back into modeling that I was better than i thought i was. So the timing worked out and my nerves were steeled enough to go for it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow members 

I know its been a while since my last update. Ive been dealing with interruptions from life. I also am dealing with Doctors and Phys. therapy. Last but not least I have concentrated on my Group build push. That finally made it through today. If your interested in building targets ... sorry Tanks please check it out. I have the Patton STGB. 

Well its not been all doctors and tanks i have managed to get the scooter on her gear, and finished the Decals. I painted the patches for the gun exhaust as well. I found a few variations on those some Black, some a Dk. Brown, and two that looked like Zinc chromate primer? I opted for the Dk. Brown. I believe this was cosmolene or some other grease. Ive read accounts that it was grease but no defined type. If youve been in the military everything is covered in cosmolene. Nasty disgusting sticky stuff. So here are a few shots to give you an idea of where I am with this. ⬇️H9JwH9B.jpg

A close up of the Cosmolene “grease” patches. I used a vallejo dk german brown and sand gelb mix. Then drybrushed sandgelb over that to give the appearance of drying grease.⬇️

l7ukYIL.jpg

Heres an overhead with the windscreen in and bang seat in the pit. ⬇️orkNn1f.jpg

Ok i admit ive been working on another model in tandem with this its Hobbyboss’s 1/48 FJ-4B Fury. I am doing it in VA-55 warhorses markings and ive been spending a little more time catching up on this. Well heres a couple of photo’s to give you a taste of where it is and whst it looks like. 7TVFGba.jpg

And one from starboard

b0oYNaX.jpg

The Trident and checkerboards i hand painted. Hope you like them. As usual any questions ?, comments ?, or Jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok So I know its been a little while since my last post. Dr. Appt’s are getting farther apart and so is my Phys. Therapy. I did have a small cold earlier this week but muscled through that as well. Now heres where the scooter sits currently. I’ve added most of the antennas and probes, i also mounted the lights and guns as well. UlXGlVC.jpg

Upper fuselage ⬆️ Starboard  wing ⬇️c1tAwl9.jpg

Then we have the port wing ⬇️

PEnEoQi.jpg

A closeup of the Starboard gun ⬇️

RVs9ks3.jpg

And a close up of the Refueling probe.WDrVxLt.jpg

Last things to do are a couple of small probes on the nose, and the HUD

So here is a photo of the loadout im going for.ghG1UYX.jpg

I know the photo is of a VA-12 scooter but the photo is for information use. I know in 65-66-67 there was a munitions shortage so all services started using old stockpiles of bombs. I didn't use snakeyes but opted for standard Mk.82’s and standard WW2 GP Bombs on the out board pylons.  BoYzGYw.jpg

Well I think enough for now. As usual any Comments ? Questions ? Or Jokes ? Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...