BlackSheep Scooter

Hello all ... this will be my first WIP. I joined here in June and have been considering what to do for my first WIP. I almost did it with my EE Lightning or Fg.1 Phantom builds. And when I put those planes in the  RFI section i will incorporate a few photo’s of the builds.

So on to this one, I won’t lie I've been a fan of Naval and Marine Aircraft my whole life. And the “Sheep” hold a special place in my heart. So i have several builds of corsairs in particular. This will be my first “Sheep” jet build. My first Scooter since highschool 30 yrs ago.  My first WIP And so on.

Im using the Hasegawa 1/48 A-4K “Kiwi” scooter for this build. I have the A-4E instructions downloaded so i can backdate this correctly. I also have about 200 photos of A-4E’s. I had some help from fellow members. Thank you @Finn, @Antoine, @Creepy Pete, & @72modeler. I will be using the incredibly good AOA Decals which i was lucky enough to grab when they came out in Feburary. I happen to have a cutting edge cockpit that will be used. True the markings are for a “C”. Yes most official records say the “Sheep” didn’t get “E’s” until ‘69-‘70. However I have found some written evidence in the form of pilots logbooks and Squadron histories and one photograph to go with.

I know the “Rivet Counters” will now start having seisures, Please don’t. I respect your dedication to detail. But i can’t do that anymore and i won’t as it cost me 10 years away from this hobby. Anyone thats seen my posts knows I'm not that concerned about microscopic details. I believe the build is the fun part of our hobby as in reality it is supposed to be fun. 

Below are the first few photo’s of the Actual kit box from Hasegawa ⬇️

pE88q0u.jpg

The decals i plan on using from AOA which i Have to say look very good and detailed. Anyone used them before ? I haven't had the oppurtunity yet. So any input from the gallery is welcome ? That goes for comments, tips, kit info, and jokes 😜 also.

mzR89tG.jpg

The actual squadron markings ↕️

8z3RIuv.jpg

The Pit & Bang seat are from cutting edge. I have tons of stuff from my friend who gave me his stash when he moved. He didnt want to transport it a 1000 miles so i benefitted. Thank you my friend. 

rqIcljl.jpg

The Pit & Bang seat ⬆️ And Instrument panel so far ⬇️

ebZxrQD.jpg

As you can see I’ve gotten the ball rolling and so far so good 👍

yPtpgDN.jpg

I will add the instrument panel and weight to the nose tonight. If you noticed i didn't place the pedals in the hole. Thats on purpose, if you notice the distance the pilot would have to  e about 8’ tall if i used Hasegawa’s mounting hole. As it is he’d have to be about 6’5” or so. Anyone have a rough idea of how much weight ? The Bang seat is just sitting in there and both it and the control column will be put in at the very end so as not to damage either. All the holes are opened and ready to go. Oh well enough for now Comments ? Questions ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

CFFU,

I love the scheme you have chosen! Thanks for the mention, but I didn't do very much compared to the other 'scooter' fanatics. I'm still trying to get over the ill effects of  my AMS infection from years back! You go, guy!

Mike

• Thanks 1

@Scooby Let me get to the built and sanding/filling stage. Should only be a week or so till im there. I pretty much have what i’ll need sorted from what i don’t need by then. I have another member interested in the Decal set though. will that be an issue ? If not I’ll send you a P/M when im ready if thats ok ? 

Added

Ok next stage it is. Time to add the weight to the nose and get ready to button up the Fuselage. For weight i use a product called water gremlin fishing weights. They look like this ⬇️ And come in various sizes like ncDCCui.jpg

this↕️

TdKt2oE.jpg

And various shapes like this ⬇️s0t7gfF.jpg

I find these fit really well in an aircraft nose due to the rounded and or tapered shapes. So as you can see in my next photo that i have C/A the two weights in the nose. Hasegawa calls for 8 grams. 😆 yeah that isn't even close. So i have 14 grams plus the resin which i hope 🤞 will be enough. However there is a void directly behind the cockpit, over the nose gear bay so i can still add if need be. Hmmm put the photo’s in the wrong order 😉you are pretty smart you’ll figure it out.  

So then i painted and installed the Forward intake/fan assembly. BcAdAck.jpg

As seen through the seemless suckers. ⬇️

j9MWDK5.jpg

Hard to see much through that small opening but its enough.

Not sure the brand of these seemless suckers. ⬇️ Ok looks like they are cutting edge. My friend answered the question so  no more out there unless someones got them in there stash. 9JDbHKS.jpg

They were just in the box when i got it from my friend. And then the over all look of the nose with the weight and I/P installed. ⬇️SkQ4JF4.jpg

Enough for this now off to the Doctors for my weekly check-in. More later today hopefully. 

Added
  • Like 4

Paramedic ... 

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Too bad you are not makinng that RNZAF one, that is a gorgeous camo! ;)

I agree and maybe someday i will build one. But i need my beloved blacksheep first.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Nive start!

But that hardly will be enough noseweight, no?

:D

Its almost twice what Hase calls for but no its probably not so i am adding a third weight directly behind the pit. Directly over the nose gear leg. 21 grams should do it. 

• Like 1

Ok got some more work done to the scooter after my Doctors appointment. I was able to button up the fuselage and give it a Rough sanding to get rid of the glue detritus that formed. As you see in the following photo’s . First an overall top view.lVL0seD.jpg

and then a side view of the plane. 

GKqVf4r.jpg

Thought i would give a few more shots of the pit from different views.

ZiUvrPJ.jpg

The only gap was right here behind the pit. Probably a result of the A/M pit. A little plastic strip took care of that and them some filler tomorrow.

Jm5qd3t.jpg

ElEkpTR.jpg

Ok next up is the seriously fun stuff :rage: the filling, sanding, & repeat cycle. I will also start building the wings, add the seamless suckers, & other odds & ends. As always and as usual comments, friendly criticism, & Jokes are encouraged from the Gallery ? 

Added
  • Like 3

On 2017-10-11 at 10:19 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Scooby Let me get to the built and sanding/filling stage. Should only be a week or so till im there. I pretty much have what i’ll need sorted from what i don’t need by then. I have another member interested in the Decal set though. will that be an issue ? If not I’ll send you a P/M when im ready if thats ok ? 

No issue at all, I have plenty of Kiwi A-4 decals. I am very interested in the parts for the A-4 K, there aren’t many of them, all small.

• Like 1

Well @Scooby ... that should suffice as this version of the kit has a small bonus bag of some of the antennaes in white metal which obviously i don't need. Ok as per my post i will P/M you when im ready. And i will include photos so you can see whats on each sprue before you make any final decisions. 

Ok worked on other things yesterday trying to finish up my Fg.1 Phantom and F.3 Lightning builds. But i got this done this morning. rodzWRI.jpg

Obligatory bottom and Top photo’s ↕️ Including sanded thumbprint. ⬇️

FvsLIdU.jpg

Then i mounted the Seamless suckers to the fuselage.  Sj7lDQo.jpg

Both sides of the plane ↕️ Only real issue today was the port intake is about 1/2 mm low so will need some filler  to smooth the transition.

o45ffbV.jpg

As you can see i mounted the wings but they aren't glued in yet, this was just a test fit. As snug as they are i probably wouldn't need to use glue. I should also mention im finishing up an Eduard 110D for a show i plan on attending in a couple of weeks. First one ive entered anything in since about 2000. And I’m also doing a concurrent build of an Hobby boss Fj-4b Fury. Last photo covers the underside as it looks with wings set in place. rYize41.jpg

And just for kicks i decided to put a teaser photo of the Fg.1 Phantom. DVJN9nb.jpg

I hope that it will meet with a British standard, once it is on full Display in the RFI section. As usual any comments, questions , or jokes are welcomed.

Added
  • Like 4

@Paramedic Ahhh no  thats no Skyhawk ... Its a Grand phoenix Fj-4b Fury i built a few years ago. Im using it to reference for my Hobby boss Fury. Im convinced Hobby Boss cloned the Grand Phoenix kit and refined it in some ways, made it worse in others.

• Like 1

Ok first off sorry for not updating for two days. Life getting in the way and all. I’ve had 3 doctors visits in 9 days and i have another tomorrow and a veterinarian appointment on thursday for the Pug. Rest assured I have been working on the A-4 though. I have the rough sand 1st rescribe done. Now for the really boring stuff ... sand ... fill ... repeat ... rescribe. Im at the same stage on my VA-55 Fj-4b Fury. I really spent my time finishing my Fg.1 as you can see in this link. 

And Also got the Gear and doors on the EE Lightning. Heres the Lightning RFI.

Dennis

Additional

Hello all I’ve had a chance to play catch up. The scooter is sanded and the wings are on. I’ve added the Horizontal stabs, also some smaller ancillary parts. Still have some Antenna’s to add with refueling probe. But that will wait till after paint. I still have to sand the gun mounts as I've just added those and put some filler on them. Not the best fitting pieces if i might say. So enough for now heres a few pictures. 0mUuMHu.jpg

↕️

UUAmvvE.jpg

⬇️nZo645J.jpg

As usual comments? Questions ? Or Jokes ?

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everybody sorry for my long delay here. Life interupts yet again. Currently I’ve got the white paint over the Pre-shading done. Both on the belly and control surfaces. Did the A-4  and the FJ- Fury yesterday, and just put a clearcoat on that today. Sadly out of white paint so i was unable to do the gear doors on both. That and the drop tanks as well as the Flaps on the A-4. I’ve used a complete bottle of white paint between 4 models 🤔. I used it on the Fg.1, the A-4, The Fury, and a US navy Hellcat that is languishing next to a Mosquito on my to finish pile. I need the Non-spec sea blue for the Hellcat. And i need to scratcbuild a part for the Mossie before either will be complete. 4ActFRY.jpgSo I will wait till i get the Gull grey on before photos.

Thanks for the patience fellow forum members. 

Dennis

Added
  • Like 1

Hello all ... I finally had a chance to paint the Gull grey on the Scooter. After 3 weeks of chaos and multiple Doctor visits. Physical Therapy and my wifes surgery yesterday. I’ll Let the paint cure for a day or two. On sunday i will clearcoat it and can start on the Decals sometime early next week. xjPBmRe.jpg

PJN3H65.jpg

Port & Starboard views ↕️ as well as the overhead view. ⬇️VAfikKu.jpg

Hopefully someone is still curious enough to take a look. As usual any Comments, Questions, Or Jokes from the Audience ? I did the canopy and windscreen as well, but hadn't pulled the masking off before i posted this. Both will need a couple of touch-ups. But look fairly good. Will add a photo soon.

Dennis

Additional
  • Like 3