My son's builds of Revell Star Wars X and U-wings

Hi all,

So these kits were built by my two sons (9 & 12) for the recent IPMS Ireland Nationals where they managed to scoop themselves Gold and Bronze respectively in the Juniors class. Myself and the missus are so proud of the boys as it's their first ever model builds and it's not normally their kind of thing.

First up, Tom's bronze U-Wing.

In terms of build, he painted some of the engine rear deck and engines with acrylics and the interior cabin and seats too. The guns got a coat of Steel..

37608814372_77fce064d5_b.jpgTom's_Revell_U_Wing 

37608850512_79bd4607b3_b.jpgTom's_Revell_U_Wing (3) 

I then explained to Tom about how to do a wash to bring out the detail - this is lots of Flory Models dark dirt just wiped off after an overnight soak (we didn't Klear the model) And yes, the lights still work!

37641689501_a95f0a3ec6_b.jpgTom's_Revell_U_Wing (4) 

And the base he made for it - I printed out his chosen concrete design and he cut and glued it to an Ikea frame.

23788064158_35e0875bb0_b.jpgTom's_Revell_U_Wing (5)

And with his winning gong..

37641715691_16db952890_b.jpgTom's_Revell_U_Wing (1) 

Hugh built Poe Dameron's X Wing from Force Awakens. Again, he painted some of the engine parts and I gave him a 1/72 pilot to paint which i superglued into the cockpit. (c'mon Revell, kids need crew for these fighters!)

36930518454_b47ba99ce5_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_1 

37641593211_65b9e46bff_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_ (1)

37382638710_c09010d354_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_ (2)

He then also gave it a wash but with Flory Models Grime wash. For his base, Hugh wanted to recreate the lake on Takodana from the movie so he used the toilet paper and white glue tip we found here on the Diorama forum. It's not that hard but just needs patience in leaving it to dry. He the gave it a good lashing of acrylic paints using green, black and brown followed by Klear. I then cut some coat hanger wire for him and stuck it in (the weekend's excitement means it needs a repair hence the blue-tac)

37608754382_1f9ccaa15c_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_ (4) 

37592001146_37580d111d_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_ (5) 

And with his gong...

23787977918_6fa88ee28c_b.jpgHugh's_Revell_X_Wing_ (6) 

And that's it.

I must admit without any prizes, the lads were really excited to see their models on display with a host of other junior entries, right beside the 'Grown ups' table of super-detailed, super-builds. I don't know if the modelling bug has bitten either of them but they had plenty of fun and some good memories.

Sorry about the pic-heavy post.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 18

That's great stuff, well done lads! I entered a Tie Interceptor into the Model Engineer's Exhibition at Ally Pally back in about '89 and getting a Highly Commended which was a massive confidence boost for me at the age of about 12, so these guys must be well chuffed with well-earned Bronze and Gold medals. Good to see some kids still have good attention spans.

• Like 1

2 very nice models - and great to see our younger generation working in plastic and hopefully keeping the hobby alive for the next generation of IPMS Sapiens.

I'm not sure which I prefer, the Y wing looks very nice and with a well deserved IPMS trophy too, but that touch of water skimming with the X wing has me really enjoying what I am seeing and makes the kit more unique from others of the same I've seen built up.

well done to your lads 

• Like 1