Non-yellowing varnish

Seahawk

I am not far away from applying the black chequers transfers to the white-painted fuselage of the most recent issue of the B.E.2c.  But, having got this far, I would like the checks to stay black and white and not turn black and cream in 6 months' time.  Can anyone recommend a hand-brushable satin varnish that does not yellow over time?  I am thinking of using Vallejo 70522.

Thanks in advance.

Just about anything from the hobby/art companies these days is non yellowing. Some say the Humbrol enamel tins of varnish (not the Humbrol Cotes, which don't yellow) still yellow, but I am not sure if that is still the case these days either. Whatever you do try, make sure you throw some of your paint on a scrap piece of plastic, let it dry, and run tests over it before committing the product to your finished model. In this case, a light shade of paint and matt black would be good colours to test over.

For myself, if I paint varnish, I usually use the Humbrol Cotes thinned with enamel thinner. Others will no doubt have there own options. Whatever you choose, test first.

I can assure you that the Humbrol enamel gloss varnish still turns yellow.

I tried a fresh tin earlier this year; its already showing signs of yellowing

Sometimes it takes a lot longer for a varnish to yellow

If you want to be really sure, use an artists varnish, an acrylic; artists don't want their nice paintings turning yellow