Seaforth Highlander, Peshewar, 1931 Art Girona 54mm

Old Man

Taking another run at a figure.

IMG_9719_zpsnj9reik3.jpg[/IMG]

Here is what I have so far.

IMG_9767_zpsnqiiwe8e.jpg

IMG_9768_zpsxs0iwtn4.jpg

I have tried for a tanned/sunburnt color on the skin, as this unit was in Palestine before going to Peshewar for operations against Afridi tribes in the 'Red Shirt' episode. A medium orange, a green-tinted buff , raw umber, and white were the basic palette, with small amounts of ultra-marine blue and black as well. All over Tamiya Fine White primer.

I intend to move on to the the uniform and gear next. I like to think I have managed some improvement in doing a face. I only had to strip the head once this time. Paint got too thick, and eyes were too big. Stripped the right eye (figure's right) and re-did it, after the face was painted (it was a bit lower than seemed right).

I had one bit of adventure with this. I don't spray much, and step out onto the porch when I do (or down to the basement in winter). I had the head attached before priming, and I managed to drop the figure on the porch. The head came off and scooted into a crack between the porch decking and the rear wall. A rather bad moment. I was able to spot it with a flash-light, and retrieve it with a long tweezers, fortunately....

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 2

Skin tone looks spot on to me, Old Man - considering the scale, I'd say it's outstanding :clap: . His right eye still looks a tad too big, while the left seems to have a perfect proportion - but then I know that pictures of a subject that small tend to emphasize things that are barely visible to the naked eye.

You may want to try, for your next figure, a black base coat; I find it gives much more depth to the final colors, albeit more noticeably so for bigger scales.

Ciao

4 hours ago, clive_t said:

A fine start, OM . Following once again with interest

Thank you, Sir. I am looking forward to the uniform. I am using my aircraft bottle acrylics for this, rather than the tube acrylics I used on the RND fellow. I will have a standard basic color --- a bottle of 'dark yellow' (dunkelgelb) seems to match the khaki color on the box header perfectly. That will help the inevitable touchings-up....

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Skin tone looks spot on to me, Old Man - considering the scale, I'd say it's outstanding :clap: . His right eye still looks a tad too big, while the left seems to have a perfect proportion - but then I know that pictures of a subject that small tend to emphasize things that are barely visible to the naked eye.

You may want to try, for your next figure, a black base coat; I find it gives much more depth to the final colors, albeit more noticeably so for bigger scales.

Ciao

Much appreciated, Sir, thank you. When I get to doing the legs I will be mixing up flesh-tones again, and will revisit the face and eyes. I am inclined to agree with what you say. I am not certain where the overage is. It seems to me that eye comes a little too near the nose, and possibly needs to be tightened up a hair (literally) at the bottom. But just now I feel at the point where if I did more fiddling, I would be doing more harm than good.

Dark undercoat interests me. I use acrylics, thinned pretty heavily, and I worry that it would take too many coats, and interfere with highlights. On the RND figure, I did start with a fairly substantial black wash, that pooled in the shadow spots, while leaving the high points white. I like white as an undercoat for flesh, it seems to sort of shine through the thin color layers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Dark undercoat interests me. I use acrylics, thinned pretty heavily, and I worry that it would take too many coats, and interfere with highlights.

I only use acrylics myself too, very thinned (with distilled water). You're right about needing many coats, but I normally use a hairdryer to speed up the process; this way you build up layers and effects in a very controllable way. But then of course it's also a matter of personal preference, and white is also perfectly good as a base coat.

Ciao

More progress here, Gentlemen....

The uniform is blocked in, and I adjusted the one eye that seemed a bit over-size and not quite on center...

IMG_9777_zpsietoy1qi.jpg

IMG_9779_zpsyfhl9cvn.jpg

IMG_9784_zpskvz4ubdq.jpg

IMG_9781_zpsfblpznat.jpg

The basic color for the uniform is a Model Master acrylic, panzer dark yellow. I put on a couple of dark washes, one black, one RAF dark green, before putting on the basic color, and did some early highlighting with yellow and white added to the basic color. I will use flatting agent in the next coats.

On the (figure's) left eye, I re-positioned the iris a bit towards the nose, and narrowed things a bit top and bottom. Still not sure I like it, though, and suspect I will fiddle with it a bit more, on the inside corner.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, Jim Wasley said:

Saw the heading Old Man and thought you were painting me:D,this is great to see an artist at work Cheers.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:12 AM, clive_t said:

Excellent face work OM, looking good so far

Thank you, gentlemen.

A bit more progress, have been working on highlights and shadows....

IMG_9794_zpsguww9qa1.jpg

IMG_9796_zps5689l2if.jpg

IMG_9799_zpsxegizo68.jpg

IMG_9801_zpseuvd3ubp.jpg

IMG_9803_zpseg6xxy2m.jpg

I decided what I was using for basic color was too dark, so everything but shadows got a coat of the basic 'dark yellow' cut with bright yellow and pale grey. Extreme shadows got the basic with some dark green added. Further highlights were basic 'dark yellow' with more bright yellow, and white.

Legs and stockings are just roughed in, as is the bit of kilt under the camouflage apron. I will be revisiting the uniform color when I put on the various accoutrements (pack and pouches).

I feel pretty good about the uniform,though I am sure there is room for improvement.

• Like 4