White Lightning

Pinback

Hi

I was looking out for an interesting Lightning scheme to model and came across this part white Lightning trials aircraft on You Tube.

I think I have traced a picture of the same aircraft  in "The History of Air of Air Refuelling' by Richard Tanner but its not fully clear. It is , again , shown refuelling from a Valiant.

The aircraft is not fully white - just the forward fuselage to behind the rear wing root and part of the wing. It seems to have a grey spine.

Can anyone shed any light on it ? Are there any other photos of it available ? Not having much luck!

Edited by Pinback
Typo
  • Like 2

Going from that photo that you mentioned, I would say that it is a standard F1/1A or a 2 in natural metal finish but with the portside forward fuselage, port wing mid section, leading edge and flap painted in white.

Given that it was used on AAR trials I wonder if these areas were painted white to show up any possible fuel stains from plug in or release of the probe?  The original photo looks like it was sharp enough to get the serial, but the book reproduction is just too small sadly

This is the first production Lightning F.1A XM169: there is a 3/4 rear view of her from above  on p.51 of Bryan Phillpott's English Electric/BAC Lightning (PSL, 1984) which clearly shows that 71chally is pretty much on the money.  The central 1/3rd (by span) of the port wing is white along with the leading edge and flaps inboard of that also white leaving a vaguely trapezoid natural metal area inboard of that.  The white area on the fuselage ends in a vertical line at the trailing edge of the wing.

• Like 2

I didn't know there was a internal missile/rocket bay in the lightning ?  If you watch the video right after the air/air refueling sequence there is a section where the lightning fires the two Air to Air missiles. Then a little bay opens up right behind the nose gear bay and several small air to air or air to ground rockets ripple fire. Then the bay closes ? Was that rocket bay standard or a prototype? 

BTW Thanks for posting the kool video.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

That area of the forward belly could be interchanged, on the early Lightnings they could have either the 2in rockets pack, a two Aden cannon pack, or the Firestreak missile pack.  the rocket pack seemed to be very rarely used.

When the larger belly tank came in it became usual for service aircraft to just have the Firestreak/Red Top pack and the cannons fitted in the forward part of the belly tank.

Export Lightnings retained the rocket pack option, and also offered a recce pack to be fitted in that position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle  These links from Gatwick Aviation Museum illustrate the options well, though these are for the export variants,

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/lightning/technical_overview_files/wepon packs.jpg

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/lightning/HISTORY_files/preview.JPG

Great to see the footage above showing their operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice pinback, I thought I had more photos of her than I have so far I've only found this one.

ovr711.jpg

As James rightly pointed out the early Lightnings and export versions had changeable packs under the nose the following drawing shows some of the options 

ovrzSW.jpg

ovr48z.jpg

Another Lightning with a splash of white is this one used for over wing tank jettison trials

ovrDyc.jpg

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, canberra kid said:

Another Lightning with a splash of white is this one used for over wing tank jettison trials

Again, I wonder if the white areas were applied to show up any fuel stains, in this case for when the tanks were jettisoned?

Great pictures John!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Again, I wonder if the white areas were applied to show up any fuel stains, in this case for when the tanks were jettisoned?

Great pictures John!

It must be James, I'm sure I have  or seen a photo of the air to air refueling tests with fuel squirting out on to the nose. 

John

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 8:44 PM, 71chally said:

Given that it was used on AAR trials I wonder if these areas were painted white to show up any possible fuel stains from plug in or release of the probe?

On 10/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Seahawk said:

This is the first production Lightning F.1A XM169:

On 10/12/2017 at 5:06 AM, canberra kid said:

I thought I had more photos of her than I have so far I've only found this one

Thanks 71chally, Seahawk and canberra kid - This is really appreciated :)