Regarding F-100 and F-105 during Vietnam War

RAGATIGER

Hi there

Well in our local club this quarter contest is about Vietnam War so my models to choose are F-100 and F-105 but got a bit of confused about the interior colors so please help me a bit

Natural metal 

F-100 Cockpit interior, U/C, wheels, U/C Interior

F-105 Cockpit interior, U/C, wheels, U/C Interior

For trumpeter F-105 call to white u/c and interiors but in old Monogram kits said Interior Green the same than WWII???

SEA scheme same

10000 thanks 

Armando

Hello Fernando , Im not 100% certain but i believe the Cockpits were grey. I think the undercarriage bays were green early and switched to a white in a later maintenance cycle. Undercarriage would most likely be natural metal. Wheels were natural metal.  Hope that gives you an idea. 

Dennis

Looking over the March 1978 version of T.O. 1-1-4 shows the following:

F-100

Natural Metal

Landing gear aluminum, wheel wells 34151

SEA

Landing gear gloss white, wheel wells 16473 (aircraft gray)

F-105

Natural Metal

Landing gear and wheel wells aluminum

SEA

Same as for F-100

Later,

Dave

For the F-105, both Trumpeter and Monogram are correct...The F-105s had either aluminum painted or chrome green wells when they arrived in Vietnam. Later these areas became white or even in the lower surfaces grey. It's one of those details where only a picture of the specific aircraft will give you a 100% correct answer, even aircrafts late in their career didn't have the wells repainted even if they were supposed to.

When I researched my early war F-105D, I ended up choosing green. I may have chosen white for a later aircraft

• Like 1

By coincidence, I've just started on the old Hasegawa F-105D. I managed to pick up a 1982 edition of the "Detail and Scale" on the F-105. There are lots of pictures of the interiors of bomb bays and wheel wells. Unfortunately, they are all in black and white but the colours look aluminium to me. The interior of the cockpits are generally a medium grey with the odd black panel. There are some good cockpit interior shots on the web if you do a search.

Hi there

1000 thanks for your answer, they all surely help me to make a decision as by most the main trouble is that most photos of the timeframe are done not for modellers but for aircraft tripulations, ground crews and others around right now I just checked

Colors & Markings 14 F-100 Super Sabre Part 1

Colors & Markings 21 F-100 Super Sabre Part 2

Crowood Press North American F-100 Super Sabre

Detail & Scale 8 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Detail & Scale 33 F-100 Super Sabre

Osprey Air Combat North American F-100 Super Sabre

Osprey Air Combat Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Osprey Combat Aircraft 84 F-105 Thunderchief Units of the Vietnam War

Osprey Combat Aircraft 89 F-100 Super Sabre Units of the Vietnam War

Squadron Signal 1017 F-105 in Action

Squadron Signal 1185 F-105 in Action (new edition)

Squadron Signal 1190 F-100 Super Sabre In Action

Squadron Signal 5004 F-105 Thunderchief

Squadron Signal 5523 F-105 Thunderchief Walk Around

Squadron Signal 6034 Air War over SE Asia 1 1962-1966

Squadron Signal 6036 Air War over SE Asia 2 1967-1970

Squadron Signal 6037 Air War over SE Asia 3 1971-1975

Squadron Signal 6060 Wild Weasel The SAM Suppression Story

Warbird Tech 18 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Warpaint 4 NA F-100 Super Sabre

Warpaint 38 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

And still I don't feel that there is a general rule of thumb so many variations and not many photos of same aircraft all are diferents

Best modeling Armando

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

For the F-105, both Trumpeter and Monogram are correct...The F-105s had either aluminum painted or chrome green wells when they arrived in Vietnam. Later these areas became white or even in the lower surfaces grey. It's one of those details where only a picture of the specific aircraft will give you a 100% correct answer, even aircrafts late in their career didn't have the wells repainted even if they were supposed to.

When I researched my early war F-105D, I ended up choosing green. I may have chosen white for a later aircraft

What Giorgio said is good advice- you almost have to work from a photo of the ones you want to build, as FS34151, chromate green, would have been the norm, with some in aluminum, and some, after going through major maintenance/repaint, would likely have had the undersurface color applied to the wheel wells. Fun hobby, right?

Mike

• Like 1

The gray in the wheel wells called for by 1-1-4, FS16473, is noticeably darker than the underside gray of the SEA scheme, FS 36622.  When I was stationed at what was RAF Woodbridge, our F-4s all appeared to have white undersides, which is how I have always done them, as it was much lighter than FS 36622.  Could have been due to weathering and the scale effect of putting FS 36622 on a 72nd scale model.  For what it is worth, the F-105D at the Travis AFB Museum, IIRC has gloss white wheel wells.  It was painted in a one off desert camo scheme in the early 80s.

Later,

Dave