Hawker Tempest Mk VI intake ducting

stevehnz

I've put this in WW2 although the Mk VI could also be considered cold war I guess albeit developed toward the end of WW2. What I'm after if someone can point me at a suitable diagram is the carb intake ducting details. I'm keen to have a go at the matchbox GB with a tempest Mk VI but will need to scratch a Tropical filter as well as improve the rear of of the engine cowl around the radiator outlet  & provide a ceiling to this duct. I'm looking to finish it as a slight whif/probably was, by doing it in the Desert scheme as worn by 324 (?) wing late in their Tempest operations in Egypt.

Steve.

I think I'm OK with this now, after some more googling I came across some Arthur Bentley plans which triggered a surge in the Synapses & a memory of having an old Scale Models Mag with his Tempest plans, that was enough to put me right. Just about enough to convince me to do something simple, like a Tempest II prototype with the Typhoon style tail but no, that would mean smaller elevators so I'm back to plan A, I think. I don't want to over complicate it, my Gb mojo is a bit fragile just now. :(

Steve.

I have the complete Bentley drawings if you need anything more. PM me as happy to help if needed.

Also don't forget that the VI had a larger backplate to accommodate the larger reduction gear and had the Rotol spinner.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the project!.

Best,

Tim

Thanks Tim, as far as the finer details are concerned, seeing as its the Matchbox kit I'm using, that much will stay the same but I did want to do the tropical filter & associated ducting as that part of the MB kit is less than splendid. It won't be exact but I think I can catch the spirit of it at least. the rest will be pretty much OOB, maybe some cockpit sidewall detail & the drawing in Scale Models should suffice for that.

Steve.

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Also don't forget that the VI had a larger backplate to accommodate the larger reduction gear and had the Rotol spinner.

Thanks for this information Tim - I didn't know about the larger backplate for the Mk. VI. 

AFAIK the Matchbox Tempest VI/II actually comes with two spinners (one quite sharp and pointed, the other a little blunt) are either of these correct to kit a Mk. VI? 

Cheers.. Dave . 

Hi Dave, the blade on the VI had the same 14 foot diameter but was thicker in the mid section and had a more displayed taper towards the tip and also slightly back towards the spinner.

If you'd like send me a PM and I'll be able to send a couple of things through to you which may help.

Happy to help if I can!

Tim

EDIT: Oops thought you were asking about the prop (it's late here and I've got the flu so that's my excuse!). In terms of spinners the VI spinner is "sharper" and slightly longer than the V's De Havilland job. 

Edited by Smithy
Awful spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

AFAIK the Matchbox Tempest VI/II actually comes with two spinners (one quite sharp and pointed, the other a little blunt) are either of these correct to kit a Mk. VI? 

Cheers.. Dave . 

One of them will be for my build, that's for sure. All this chat make me think that what we need in 1/72 is a decent up to date Tempest V  kit with options for a VI in it too. I've been looking for my Freightdog conversion for the Academy Tempest kit which I was going to use as a pattern but haven't been able to find it & am beginning to wonder did I ever in fact buy one, rather than just meant too. :(:unsure: 

Steve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

One of them will be for my build, that's for sure. All this chat make me think that what we need in 1/72 is a decent up to date Tempest V  kit with options for a VI in it too.

Why stop there? We need the whole Tempest family. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Why stop there? We need the whole Tempest family. 

Ok, thats a  big YES to that too, as Matchbox showed all those years ago, you don't have to be very clever to incorporate the differences between a II & a VI, so wing inserts for flush leading edge for a V, wing leading edge radiators for a I, cockpit insets for car door & bubble tops & nose inserts for any of them, a basic fuselage/wing sprue with alternative sprues for the different versions. Simples. :) Airfix, you listening? !

Steve.

• Like 3

I'm going to change tack on this build, when I get around to signing up to the GB, I've decided to build it as this. The Tempest II prototype LA602. other than filling some lines trenches, it'll be mainly a reshape of the tail, fill in the filter intake ahead of the cockpit, I'm guessing, it is the tropical intake filter on these, & rat around in my decals for the necessaries.

Steve.

Tempest II prototype LA602

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Yes, quite right, but I had to go look at the 'structions & check, pretty easy to miss too. Now I'll have to check what the prop tip profile was on these. :unsure::)

Steve.

Strange , what the old brain box comes up with sometimes!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Britman said:

If my memory serves me right Matchbox instructions suggested shortening the blades for the MkII . Thirty odd years since I last built one, so could be wrong! 

The Bentley Tempest drawings state that the prop for the Mks I, V and VI was 14' dia and that for the Mark II 12'9".

• Like 1