Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

9 hours ago, Arniec said:

I am interested too. I have got a few in the stash. At least a Dragon Elefant with Zimmerit.

Cheers,

:welcome: Arnold, looking forward to seeing your elefant come together.

8 hours ago, Joss said:

Got the meng king tiger hidden away in the stash and will need pointers with it :) So I am putting my hand up!! :thumbsup:

Joss :bye:

:welcome: Joss, the meng Tigers look fantastic. I'm sure you will get plenty of pointers on your build.

• Like 1

Only 6?! That's great news. If we can try and get 6 signups by 20.50 tomorrow evening it will have taken us less than a week to get another AFV GB up and running!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

With the interest in this STGB. Would anyone know if theres ever been a Group build or STGB ever Done for The “Patton” series of tanks. You would cover every model of the “Patton” series from the M-46 thru the M-60 and all of there Derivatives ? If no one has ever proposed one maybe i’ll draw up a proposal ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Only 6?! That's great news. If we can try and get 6 signups by 20.50 tomorrow evening it will have taken us less than a week to get another AFV GB up and running!

Kind regards,

Stix

That would be fantastic Stix, then it would be like buses. Noting for ages, then 3 come along at once.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

With the interest in this STGB. Would anyone know if theres ever been a Group build or STGB ever Done for The “Patton” series of tanks. You would cover every model of the “Patton” series from the M-46 thru the M-60 and all of there Derivatives ? If no one has ever proposed one maybe i’ll draw up a proposal ? 

The M3/M4 STGB was the first armour of its kind, so I can probably confidently say that there hasn't been a Patton STGB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2017 at 10:10 PM, Plasto said:

A question....

How does the Elefant / Ferdinand qualify given its based on the chassis of the Porsche prototype and uses an electromechanical drive which is not related to either the Tiger 1 or Tiger 2 drive train?

I pondered it when I set up my thread but I couldn’t reconcile that it might be pushing the boundary’s of a STGB a bit far.... 

Thoughts??

Many aircraft had different powerplants Merlin/Bristol  on lanc and beaufighter, piston and jet J-21 so what does a different powerplant matter to this GB? The Elefant chassis and Tiger I were different contenders for the same contract after all.

I'll stick my hand up for this. If I keep trying I'll finish one on time someday. Law of Averages and all that.

How far are you pushing the envelope on this with the VK 45.02 BTW? Or for that matter the Rammtiger? Or the designed but not built July 1945 Tiger II with rangefinder? Look I've even found what looks to be a genuine woodcut of the thing being built or repaired....

vk-4502-p-hobbyboss.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Many aircraft had different powerplants Merlin/Bristol  on lanc and beaufighter, piston and jet J-21 so what does a different powerplant matter to this GB? The Elefant chassis and Tiger I were different contenders for the same contract after all.

I'll stick my hand up for this. If I keep trying I'll finish one on time someday. Law of Averages and all that.

How far are you pushing the envelope on this with the VK 45.02 BTW? Or for that matter the Rammtiger? Or the designed but not built July 1945 Tiger II with rangefinder? Look I've even found what looks to be a genuine woodcut of the thing being built or repaired....

vk-4502-p-hobbyboss.jpg

:welcome: Sleeperservice, if your going to build one of those I will be watching with intrest. Having spoken to Enzo the scope for this STGB isn't pushing the boundaries, as like you have said both hulls were in tender form a Heavy tank. Not seen a Ramm tiger before, very impressive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

:welcome: Sleeperservice, if your going to build one of those I will be watching with intrest. Having spoken to Enzo the scope for this STGB isn't pushing the boundaries, as like you have said both hulls were in tender form a Heavy tank.

My problem is not finding interesting subjects it's actually getting the things built (in any time frame).

Note the woodcut is reversed and must be from the first run of 102 for the official briefing rather than the later run of several hundred for the public announcement, unless a RHD version was considered for the Japanese?

There were several mad Tiger II prototypes with supercharged engines but the July 1945 version with rangefinder would have been a lethal piece of kit as long as it wasn't expected to move too much...There's a snippet of an after action report in an old Profile book about the Elefant. They established the range (presumably using an AA gun rangefinder) then engaged T-34s at 2.5 miles. It was a bit one sided but in the end there were just too many T-34s and Shermans. May we all be truly Thankful.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

My problem is not finding interesting subjects it's actually getting the things built (in any time frame).

Note the woodcut is reversed and must be from the first run of 102 for the official briefing rather than the later run of several hundred for the public announcement, unless a RHD version was considered for the Japanese?

There were several mad Tiger II prototypes with supercharged engines but the July 1945 version with rangefinder would have been a lethal piece of kit as long as it wasn't expected to move too much...There's a snippet of an after action report in an old Profile book about the Elefant. They established the range (presumably using an AA gun rangefinder) then engaged T-34s at 2.5 miles. It was a bit one sided but in the end there were just too many T-34s and Shermans. May we all be truly Thankful.

That's an impressive shot by an Elefant, that tiger 2 sounds impressive I think the right of arc is May 1945 to have either served or have been evaluate before this date.

• Like 1

Having done a bit more researching I realised how far off-track I'd gone. I blame the medication. I apologise without reservation. I know a lot more about Tigers than I did.

I shall be building the Bovvie Tiger I as it was when inspected by Churchill on Horse Guards Parade. Using the Skybow kit and tracks in 1/48 still available from Parabellum in Birmingham at a very nice price. E-mail Nigel for a rapid reply. The website is not his top priority.

No connection except as a very happy customer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

:welcome:Reteip9, any ideas what you may build?

I am kind of hoping that Meng or Takom will come out with a Jagdtiger in 1/35 scale with full interior in the next year or so, if they don't I might do a Ryefield mid production Tiger or a King Tiger with the Porsche turret.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, reteip9 said:

I am kind of hoping that Meng or Takom will come out with a Jagdtiger in 1/35 scale with full interior in the next year or so, if they don't I might do a Ryefield mid production Tiger or a King Tiger with the Porsche turret.

Both Meng and Takom do some nice looking kits, a Jagtiger would be a nice addition especially with an interior. The Ryefield kits also look nice having seen @BlackMax12 's build coming together.

1 minute ago, John_W said:

This would prompt me to build by Tamiya 1/48 with the stick on zimmerit.

In

:welcome: John_W, the stick on zimmermit looks pretty effective.

• Like 1

Count me in, TAKOM Porsche Turreted King Tiger with interior, even though I have it on good authority it isn't the best. Will do a cutaway version, would like to do a crew in action but that would take a lot of doing methinks!

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Count me in, TAKOM Porsche Turreted King Tiger with interior, even though I have it on good authority it isn't the best. Will do a cutaway version, would like to do a crew in action but that would take a lot of doing methinks!

Davey.

:welcome:Davey, looking forward to see your King tiger cut away.

Sounds like a good reason to build a kitten, so count me in.

Got a Revell early Tiger I Ausf.H in 1:72 and the Eduard /Academy Tiger II late production in my stash. While it is plenty of time b efore the GB starts there will be maybe a change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Sounds like a good reason to build a kitten, so count me in.

Got a Revell early Tiger I Ausf.H in 1:72 and the Eduard /Academy Tiger II late production in my stash. While it is plenty of time b efore the GB starts there will be maybe a change.

:welcome: Bernd, good to have you along. Looking forward to seeing your builds.

• Like 1

Just found this lurking in my stash Ozzy, so sign me up. I know nowt about tanks though, other than the fact that they have lots of wheels with track thingy's and a big gun, so I will need lots of advice and pointers.

37540378960_6620016c15_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Just found this lurking in my stash Ozzy, so sign me up. I know nowt about tanks though, other than the fact that they have lots of wheels with track thingy's and a big gun, so I will need lots of advice and pointers.

Nice one John. I've built that one and it's a fun build. :thumbsup:

And I'm sure we can provide lots of support!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

:goodjob: John, nice looking kit. You may have a limited knowledge of tanks now, but I'm sure by the end of this GB you'll have the armour bug.

• Like 1