Air Britain's Aviation World

Rob de Bie

Are there any readers or subscribers of Air Britain's Aviation World here? I'm trying to find out whether they ever published an article on the pitfalls of using old drawings as a reference. Please note that this is probably a bad description of the article's subject!

I can't find an index of 'Aviation World' plus I have the handicap of not knowing the exact subject. The reason for my question is that I'm working on a drawing of a 1930's Dutch mailplane, the Pander Postjager, and this article was mentioned as useful for the research for this drawing.

Rob

I can confirm that they did, not too long ago, though I don't recall the Pander being mentioned.  Sorry, but I don't keep the magazine.  I think that I did keep the article, but can't lay my hand on it immediately and am going on holiday tomorrow so can't spare any time to look, just for the moment.

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I can confirm that they did, not too long ago, though I don't recall the Pander being mentioned.  Sorry, but I don't keep the magazine.  I think that I did keep the article, but can't lay my hand on it immediately and am going on holiday tomorrow so can't spare any time to look, just for the moment.

Graham, many thanks for the fast reply! The article did not discuss the Postjager as far as I know, so that matches. I understood it would be a rather general article on using older drawings.

Enjoy your holiday, and please post again if you indeed still have the article.

Rob

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, Graham Boak said:

I guess you're back from your holiday by now :) Did you keep the article as you thought? I haven't quite finished the Postjager drawing, and I'm still very curious about the article's contents..

Rob

I still think that I kept the article, but can't find it.  The problem is that it doesn't really fit in well with my filing system, which is biased towards individual aircraft types.  So it has been put somewhere I thought (at the time) to be suitable, but is now lost.  I was looking this afternoon, and had the inspiration to look in my books of Percival aircraft, for I remembered that it dealt with the Q6 as an example.  However, it wasn't there.  From what I remember, it was largely on the dangers of relying upon manufacturers' general arrangement drawings rather than drawings showing the actual detail parts.  However, that may just be my experience and prejudices showing through!

I did manage to find some other articles I'd mislaid, so from my point of view the time wasn't wasted.  I will keep an eye open for sightings of it, probably when I'm actually looking for something else altogether.

Edited by Graham Boak

Graham, many thanks for your efforts to find the article, and I'm happy to hear it wasn't time wasted. I recognise the situation so well, research material that doesn't 'fit' in the normal filing system. It often ends up in a piling system instead of a filing system :-)

With regards to the inaccuracy of manufacturers' general arrangement drawings, I had exactly that issue with the Pander Postjager too. One drawing, issued after the aircraft was built, even showed a horizontal tail that was only wind-tunnel tested, and never built! I happened to have seen the report on those wind-tunnel tests, plus an independent flight-test report that had a sketch of the tail surfaces as built, otherwise I would have been heavily confused. That surely was a good reminder never to trust this type of drawings. Also, having made my own drawings, both by hand with ink and with vector graphics, taught me that it can be very difficult to accurately draw something with a complex shape.

If you do find the article one day, please let us know. Thanks again!

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie