Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer

Here's my take on Matchbox's Supermarine Stranraer.

I thoroughly enjoyed building this one.

Box stock, with nothing added. Brush painted with Humbrol colours. I left off the footprint walkways on the wings as I thought the carrier film was certain to show on the silver finish. I can live with that compromise.

The struts nearly drove me to distraction and it's best not to look too closely to the amount of superglue on some of those struts.

At some point I'll have a crack at the second colour scheme the kit came with, the camouflaged version.

The first picture shows the plane on a picture frame, bought for pennies at a boot sale, with a bit of railway scenic material applied over the glass. Not exactly correct for a seaplane, but it looks OK to me for the photo. The inlay gives a sort of Deco feel to things.

The camera flash on the second picture highlights a bit of the superglue lake around the struts. Must try harder...

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 41

Nice job!

If you feel the need (the need for not very fast but darn good looking), please join us over on the Flying Boats and Float Planes GB with either another Strannie or something else floaty. You'll be most welcome.

9 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Nice job!

If you feel the need (the need for not very fast but darn good looking), please join us over on the Flying Boats and Float Planes GB with either another Strannie or something else floaty. You'll be most welcome.

I'll be happy to join! Thanks for the invite.

I have a couple of suitable builds, I'll dig them out and take a few pictures.

Tony.

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Here's my take on Matchbox's Supermarine Stranraer.

The first picture shows the plane on a picture frame, bought for pennies at a boot sale, with a bit of railway scenic material applied over the glass. Not exactly correct for a seaplane, but it looks OK to me for the photo. The inlay gives a sort of Deco feel to things.

Tony.

Flying boats had to come out of the water at some point for servicing, repainting or whatever so seeing yours parked on grass isn't so    inappropriate.

I do like the look of your Stranraer, superglue lakes notwithstanding.

Thanks for all the kind comments Gents.

I have a Matchbox Heyford that's been daring me to build it for ages. Add to that, I see a Matchbox Group Build just started. I think there's going to be a bit of green in my future!!

Tony.