Westland Wyvern canopy types and type conversions

Max89

I'm looking into the Wyvern S4 (previous designation was TF4), and it appears that some S4 aircraft have a solid rear canopy whereas others have a clear rear section.

Clear rear canopy: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c7/1c/39/...7f4b054d--military-aircraft-military-jets.jpg
Solid rear canopy: http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/99/99187_big.jpg

Was the solid rear canopy the latest version? If so, was it a field modification or were those aircraft fitted with that style of canopy right in the factory?

Lastly, I've read that some S4 aircraft were actually converted from the S2 variant. Does anyone have the serial number ranges for the converted ones?

Edited by Max89
  • Like 1

The canopy with the solid rear part was the later version, and was introduced due to structural issues with the all clear canopy, c1954/55.

Also worth noting that the windscreen changed as well, the flat armoured front screen originally had a curved outer screen fitted over it but this was later removed.  In the process this changed the windscreen assembly to canopy shape with the earlier type having a distinctive curved top when viewed from the front.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I see. So all Wyverns manufactured after the new canopy's introduction were fitted with it from the factory, correct? Or were they all field modifications?

Edited by Max89

I believe that the canopy change was a service mod across the existing Wyvern fleet.

However some Wyverns were built and delivered as late as spring 1956, maybe they would have had the later canopy incorporated on the line.

As Fatalbert says the wingtip fold was deleted on production aircraft from a certain serial number on (will have to consult the book).

There were other very minor changes, such as an extra scoop for aircraft fitted with the 2nd generator, minor aerial changes, and the ability to carry a centreline tank.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

As Fatalbert says the wingtip fold was deleted on production aircraft from a certain serial number on (will have to consult the book).

"Disabled on aircraft subsequent to VZ791" according to 4-Plus.

Edited by Seahawk

Did the wing look the same after the wingtip fold delete?

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

There were other very minor changes, such as an extra scoop for aircraft fitted with the 2nd generator, minor aerial changes, and the ability to carry a centreline tank.

Do you know where the extra scoop was located? Any pictures would be helpful!

Edited by Max89

5 hours ago, Max89 said:

Do you know where the extra scoop was located? Any pictures would be helpful!

Best to choose an aircraft and build on that as scoops and vents positions differed even on aircraft in the same batch (sorry I can't remember which one of the books I read that in)

Note also that the engine cowling was cut back in later production batch.

Early canopy and no finlets on tailplane

p1560452932-3.jpg

Later canopy and cut back cowling

p1414286548-3.jpg

Thanks guys. I would never have found all this info if I hadn't asked here. :)

I stumbled upon this photo (below) of a Wyvern that crash landed on the HMS Ark Royal in 1957. What is the thing circled in red? Also, am I looking in the wrong place or does this plane lack the four Hispano cannons?

WeZaqDW.png

Edited by Max89

13 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Best to choose an aircraft and build on that as scoops and vents positions differed even on aircraft in the same batch (sorry I can't remember which one of the books I read that in)

Note also that the engine cowling was cut back in later production batch.

The first picture (VW867) is a TF.2, all production, and the TF.2s converted to S.4s had the cut back cowling which was a feature of the later Python engine.

The second shot (VZ748) is a production S.4 with the the modified canopy, I think this may have been the test acft for that canopy.

The third shot is (VZ750 Farnborough 1952) which is a production S.4 with the early canopy and before the finlets were added.

8 hours ago, Max89 said:

I stumbled upon this photo (below) of a Wyvern that crash landed on the HMS Ark Royal in 1957. What is the thing circled in red? Also, am I looking in the wrong place or does this plane lack the four Hispano cannons?

Wyverns could be fitted with a cylindrical aerial (canon ranging?) in the port outer canon position, so it may be that.  I would say that the other three canon fairing covers are fitted.

The later addition double generator scoop also shows in that shot, it's the one that is a few feet ahead of the windscreen, port side.  The one adjacent to windscreen was the existing one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

The first picture (VW867) is a TF.2, all production, and the TF.2s converted to S.4s had the cut back cowling which was a feature of the later Python engine.

The second shot (VZ748) is a production S.4 with the the modified canopy, I think this may have been the test acft for that canopy.

The third shot is (VZ750 Farnborough 1952) which is a production S.4 with the early canopy and before the finlets were added.

Wyverns could be fitted with a cylindrical aerial (canon ranging?) in the port outer canon position, so it may be that.  I would say that the other three canon fairing covers are fitted.

The later addition double generator scoop also shows in that shot, it's the one that is a few feet ahead of the windscreen, port side.  The one adjacent to windscreen was the existing one.

I don't understand what you mean by cannon fairing covers. Are the cannons covered up, disabled or deleted? I hope that's not the case, because every Wyvern kit I've seen so far has cannons.

Edited by Max89

The cannon ports have pointed/conical fairings over them, you can see them clearly in the shot that you posted.

I think they just covered the cannon ports until they were fired.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

It looks like WP346 was fitted with a replacement engine and cowling (as a complete ECU - engine change unit) from an aircraft with the higher camouflage demarkation.

Originally the EDSG  top surface only extended a little way down the fuselage side, later it was extended much further down the sides.

As for the cannons, I really don't know if they were readily removable or not, my guess is that they could be to save weight, maybe for when the airfcraft was configured for torpedo strike etc.  But I really don't know.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, Scimitar said:

scoops and vents positions differed even on aircraft in the same batch (sorry I can't remember which one of the books I read that in)

It was in Wyvern from the cockpit which I have just scanned through.(tough job eh!)

There is no mention of the cannons being removed.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:53 AM, Seahawk said:

Aerial for AS-68/APG-5 radar rangefinder.

Surprisingly few pictures of this fitted but it appears to be where the port outer cannon would be.

If this is correct was the kit fitted in the cannon bay or was it small enough to fit inside the fairing?

• Like 1

I finally got the 4+ book. :)

I stumbled across a photo of a group of Wyverns, and I can't tell whether the first one in line (VZ763) has a dihedral tailplane. Did all S4 aircraft have the dihredral, or were there some that didn't?

oNQyKdo.png

Looking at that photo, I reckon its just a question of camera angle to the near aircraft, it is showing a lot more upper wing than the others which has the effect of making the tail plane dihedral look shallower, IMHO.

Steve.

• Like 2