Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1/Trop - Conversion to BoB Hurricane

Columbia20713

Recently, I ordered a 1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 from an online hobby shop, but due to it not being in stock, they instead sent an Airfix Hurricane Mk.1 Tropical kit. I found that the engineering was in such a way that it was possible to do away with the tropical filter. I did some research and it turns out that the said tropical filter was already included in the BoB Hurricane kit - I figure both have similar if not completely identical set of sprues is in both kits, although that's just a guess. 

A few questions:

• Did the Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1/Trop have any major differences from the Mk.1 other than the Vokes filter that are worth taking into account when building the former in the latter form?
  • Can anyone recommend a good BoB Hurricane decal set that can be ordered from Hannants in order to stand in for the decals in the case that it could be built that way

Thanks!

The original Hurricane Mk.I and the later tropical and Sea Hurricane variants all contain the same set of sprues. You can make any variant from any of the three boxings. The only difference between boxings is the decal sheet.

There's at least one Xtradecal sheet with BoB Hurricanes on it that you can get from Hannants. You will probably also want to source a set of Avieology stencils as the kit markings are based on a modern Warbird and have some anachronisms  (ie. The fuel tank fillers are marked "AVGAS 100LL" which wasn't available until the 1970's).

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1