Vintage Hawk Javelin build.

Here's a build from the mists of time, an early Hawk 1.72 scale Javelin. Completely fictitious colours and markings, but true to the box top and instructions!

A mate donated a beat to death boxed kit, which is what you see in front of you now. I also have a mint, unbuilt example thus giving me the best of both worlds. 

IMG_9928.jpg

IMG_9918.jpg

Although the colour scheme is enough to give a purist the fits these days, when the kit first came out references were a bit thinner on the ground. The Aeroplane Magazine didn't exactly help in the matter.

IMG_7836.jpg

A much simpler time.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 17

I'm afraid I'm guilty of further crimes against Javelins.

Here's what I've inflicted on an Airfix 1.48 scale Javelin, bought in last years Black Friday sale.

IMG_7907.jpg

Car body filler and S+J rubbing powder got me to here. I wanted a desk type model, and this one seems to have worked out OK on that front. It's since had an alloy calendar and pen holder added, which suits it well. No picture to hand at the moment though.

I have another in the stash that I intend to build in a more conventional way. It's a beautiful kit.

Edited by TonyW
Getting the hang of things.
  • Like 10

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Javelin, but done like this it looks a beautiful shape, almost art deco in it's simple, smooth lines. Interesting idea.

There are probably some on here who would have you flogged. :whip:

• Haha 1

I love Javelins! Along with Swifts, Canberra’s, Hunters and of course V-bombers they epitomise the halcyon days of the RAF.

I wish I’d been around with a digital camera in East Anglia in those days.

Definately a very different age but very well done.

I combined one with leftover bits of the Airfix and Heller kits to make an FAW.1 and recall that the plastic was very hard compared with more recent kits.

Now that is a trip down to rear left corner of my memory! Great to see someone actually refer to the instructions - tee hee. Its all we young lads had to go by, those and dad's house and furniture enamels! Great job and alsways worth reminding ourselves of how far, sometimes sideways, the hobby has come.

• Like 2

Both yours and Alexs' look marvelous. Very evocative of the era. It's really refreshing to see models  made as  "historic models". We've got a few "out of the box  Matchbox classics at home, An F-14 and F-5 , BF-109E and Hawker Fury.... in 1/48 scale of course!

It's an era I don't understand and it has a face only a mother could love lol!

But terrific and fun build of a magnificent Gloster Javelin in all its glory.

Top Stuff

Cheers

Bruce