The best 1/72 kit for an Ecuadorian Mirage F.1?

RidgeRunner

The Special Hobby kit is definitely the best Mirage F.1 available, but it sounds like you are also concerned about the right variant. The Ecuadorian Mirage F.1's were based on the F.1E and Special Hobby only has variants of the B and C. I don't know enough about the aircraft to know if there were external differences between the C and the E or if the changes were only to internal equipment. SH is still your best starting point.

I'll consult the Cocardes book when I get home (providing nobody else has beaten me to the drop), but I think you could easily do an E from a C based airframe in which case the SH kit is the way to go.

Enzo Matrix is using one for an Ecuadorian aircraft in the Mirage GB.

Edited by Wez
Link added

20 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

I thought the Hasegawa kit was very nice, but I don't know if it will fit the bill for our. I can't recall as to whether it had raised or scribed panel lines.

Raised lines, and it has been criticized on shape issue; mainly the lack of area ruling in the mid-fuselage.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks, Murph. I ended up getting rid (via eBay) of mine when I decided to concentrate on 1/48. All too many years ago (30+) I built the /72 Heller kit a a Greek two-seater. That was a pretty cool option, but I'm not familiar enough with the 1:1 scale Mirage F.1 to comment on that kit's accuracy.

The Cocardes book (well worth getting if you plan to do more than one Mirage F1 btw), describes the Ecuadorian Mirage F1JA as the fuselage of the Mirage F1C-200 but without the air-to-air refuelling capability and Israeli avionics, the specifics to the version are:

1.  No refuelling probe reinforcing ring around the nose just ahead of the windscreen (although tbh, the plans in the Cocardes book doesn't show any difference between the F1C-200 and the F1JA).

2.  Two circular Radio Altimeter antenna under the nose (although strictly speaking these are Radar Altimeter or RadAlt antenna, Radar allows greater precision and flush antenna, Radio Altimeter systems being superseded in the late 50's/early 60's).

3.  No flight refuelling floodlight on the starboard intake.

4.  Elisra SPS-45 RWR (two antenna blisters on the lower nose under the windscreen, one antenna on the lower fuselage between the cannon and an aft fin mounted similar to but not the same as the early French fit but not as big or as chunky as the later French ones fitted to the CR, it's also "Y" shaped in plan).

5.  A "non-active" antenna mounted on the fin like the early French RWR fit.

6.  Chaff dispensers mounted on the fuselage above the ventral fins (if memory serves these come with the SH F1CE/CH kit).

7.  A Doppler dielectric panel under the nose forward of the undercarriage bay (where the camera fit is on the CR).

8.  Fin mounted dielectric panels (one below the rudder above the drogue chute fairing, one on the fwd fin above the non-active antenna and the fin-cap and the fin cap itself).

9.  MB Mk6 seats (French fit was Mk4 early and Mk10 later).

I would recommend sourcing the SH kit, it really is very nice, I would also recommend sourcing the Cocardes book, it's in French but with English captions.

The Cocardes book can be found here!

Hi there

Well the thing with the Ecuadorian AF Mirages F-1Aj is that they have different configurations unique  to them also are the weapons they use

Look here 

Image result for Mirage F-1AJ Fuerza Aerea Ecuatoriana

Chaff and Flare just above the ventral fins both sides, also the weapons here with Python IV AIM but also Python III as well

Best modeling 

Armando