If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

whitestar12chris

SMW 2017 Telford 11th & 12th November

6 minutes ago, James G said:

I need my eyes tested,

You and the  other 90% who missed things I blame all those beautiful and stunning young ladies walking round distracting us 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

How can you sell that ??

Despicable  the  perps should be banned from the IPMS and banned from  SMW 

Your stealing from a fellow modeller   a fellow IPMS member 

I might be wrong as I have never sold through the kit swap but isn't the seller supposed to put their IPNS number on each kit The ones I have bought in the past certainly have this on. Maybe with the number the Kit swap folks could track down the seller and get some recompense. It could be a genuine mistake and the seller would be mortified to know what has happened>

5 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I might be wrong as I have never sold through the kit swap but isn't the seller supposed to put their IPNS number on each kit The ones I have bought in the past certainly have this on. Maybe with the number the Kit swap folks could track down the seller and get some recompense. It could be a genuine mistake and the seller would be mortified to know what has happened>

This is whats happening I believe that the seller is being traced , however he could say it  was intact when he put it in the kit swap

58 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

How can you sell that ??

Despicable  the  perps should be banned from the IPMS and banned from  SMW 

Your stealing from a fellow modeller   a fellow IPMS member 

Fully agree - and as I mentioned to the chap on Facebook whose son was swindled, it's dead easy to find out who the 'perps' are, as they have to put their IPMS number on the seller label on the box. They should at least be reported to the kit swap manager, whether he chooses to take it any further is up to him...

Keith

kit swap manager, whether he chooses to take it any further is up to him..

What no tar and feathering ??

No lynch mob at dawn ??

No gratuitous violence ??

No pillaging  and burning of the locals huts ??

Boring SMW this year then 

1 hour ago, James G said:

Thanks for the info Jamie and bentwaters81! Will note that down for next year. I need my eyes tested, I was right in front of the Coastal Kits stand!

Picked up several six packs from Martin as he's giving up the AKAN paints and had them reduced to £12 each from £18. Singles were reduced to £2 ea. As Martin is Barnsley based might be an idea to call him to see if he has what you require. hth cheers Chris

2 hours ago, James G said:

On a side note, did anyone find a seller for AKAN paints this year? I asked around a few places and no one seemed to have even heard of them! I'm positive I bought some at the 2016 show. It's quite possible that I missed a stand selling them this year as I was in a bit of a rush. Also a pity that Alexander Glass from Uschi van de Rosten was not there, his stuff is great.

I saw at least one seller selling AKAN paints. I too was disappointed that Uschi van de Rosten wasn't there. Luckily I picked up a set of his metallic polishing powders from Affnity Models. 

In my experience kit swap problems are rare. One form of protection is to check the completeness of your purchases before you leave the site, as it's much easier to get things sorted on the day.

Sometimes kits are sold on behalf of dead members and the person passing them on may have no idea what's in the boxes or what complete should look like. Others may just be due to scoundrels so check before leaving.

Regarding theft, remember that the kit swap is open to the public as well; though I wouldn't be foolish enough to think that the IPMS membership is made up entirely of angels.

Mistakes can also be made at the desk. If someone buys your kit and it isn't crossed off your list then it will appear to have been stolen.

What I'm trying to say is that while these incidents will always be frustrating, but they aren't necessarily malicious.

14 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Sorry to say but one of the judges was  verbally abused and berated by a disgruntled  modeller because his model was not placed , and two models were either stolen or removed by mistake from the comp area 

Also  a guy get home and when  his son opened his kit from the Kit swap it was  missing half the bits and decals  result one very upset  child ( who had saved his pocket money for the show ) and angry dad 

It was not a cheap kit either 

All the above are totally unacceptable and despicable acts 

Deleted. 

Well I trekked all the way over and all the way back, just for the show, had a great time, and glad I went again I was having some doubts during the last week before lift off, but so glad I hung on, 12th time so far, although been 6 years since the last one.

The queue  to get in was really long, shows the level of support for the event, which is probably a good thing, although they need to address people standing outside if the weather turns a bit inclement, but of course that never really happens in the UK does it? ^_^

Bought a few kits that I had been after, and some new tools, (i'm a sucker for good tools), an surprisingly for me, just one or two decal sheets.

We went straight to the Pink Car Park, and couldn't really get in there, so parked over the road at the main car park, on the Sunday, missed out by about 10 cars getting into the TIC car Park, but got into the Pink one no trouble.

So all in all a well worthwhile trip from my point of view, and I travel a bit further than most. 

I went on a Sunday (for the first time) this year and was pleasantly surprised (compared to previous Saturdays). The show had a 'relaxed' feel to it and I found I had a lot more space around me when looking at things.

I was also very impressed in the way the 2 mins silence was observed. The 'hubbub' of normal life and conversation just disappeared for two minutes and everyone I could see just stood there with their own thoughts.

I wasn't really expecting big kit announcements so wasn't too surprised about those. The main one I'm looking forward to is the Tanmodel Bucc (but they weren't on the traders list anyway) although I like the sound of this 32nd British Phantom

from HK models. The Kinetic Harriers looked popular and the Revell F3 looks great especially for the price.

I wasn't going to get anything this year, but came away a very happy bunny with (finally!) one of those Airfix 24th scale Typhoons. I'd loved the look of them for years, but this year, with that price reduction it would have been a crime to ignore it.

Hope I can do it justice. My lad opted for a normal sized Stuka box in 48th. Metal Spitfire - absolutely awesome and I loved the 24th scale Harriers too.

Thanks to all for a great show.

Regarding the problems some people experienced with the Kit Swap this year....

I am saddened to read about issues with stolen kits and boxes containing only random parts - these situations simply should not exist, in an ideal world. 

I was a volunteer helper in the 'Swap this year and would like to state that opening boxes and visually checking a kit's completness during the logging-in process would be a non-starter due to time constraints, unfortunately. There were over three thousand indivdual items for sale over the weekend and the volunteers simply woudn't have the time to check every item out. At best, we could possibly give the boxes a quick shake and listen out for "rattling", but even doing this would be a fallible way to judge the state of a kit. 

I would like to think that any kits with missing parts and no notice of such on the box were genuine mistakes on the part of the seller, but I suspect that we will never know the truth on this matter. The float-plane kit with virtually all its parts missing would have been very easy for the seller to check, so there was no excuse for that one, it has to be said. 

I would strongly recommend that Kit Swap visitors make it a habit to check the kits they're buying whilst waiting in the queue to pay (I do appreciate that there are a number of practical issues involved in doing this, but we live in an imperfect world).  If you do undertake to check them , please be very careful about dropping any loose parts when opening the boxes (I've done this myself in previous years - it's way too easy to do).

If you happen to find any kits with undeclared, missing parts then I would suggest bringing it to a "yellow shirt" staff-members attention and then we can then write a note on the box-lid to warn potential buyers about the model's condition. 

I hope that this is of some help, even it will bring no comfort to anyone affected by the issues over the weekend.

Cheers.

Chris. 

On 11/11/2017 at 20:06, tomkil said:

The queue to get in was a farce to be honest.  I arrived about 10.10 and it was getting on for 11.20 before I made it in to the show.  The problem seemed to be that there were only three tables manned by volunteers - for whom I am full of admiration but who had little sense of urgency - and why they couldn't have had twice as many tables I have no idea: hell, I'll volunteer myself to give them a hand next year if they're short.  By the time I was leaving there was no queue at all so it's clearly just the first couple of hours that are the problem.

A couple of the N.I. team were on at about that time. Two other volunteer teams [total 4 persons] never turned up to do their bit. Two volunteers who were to come on later were got and were brought in early to help, but it threw the whole who-was-on-when out of kilter

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I would strongly recommend that Kit Swap visitors make it a habit to check the kits they're buying whilst waiting in the queue to pay (I do appreciate that there are a number of practical issues involved in doing this, but we live in an imperfect world).  If you do undertake to check them , please be very careful about dropping any loose parts when opening the boxes (I've done this myself in previous years - it's way too easy to do).

Personally I think that's rather a bad idea - Kit Swap rules state the kit should be checked as complete by the seller and then sealed - presumably to prevent buyers opening them before they are paid for, specifically I would think to ensure parts aren't lost (or worse, deliberately taken out) in the hustle and bustle of the KS itself or in the queue. I'd much rather people checked them after they'd been paid for - maybe have some empty tables still in the KS room before the exit for those who wish to do so to use before they leave? I know it may be said 'what's the difference?', but I feel it always seems less stressed when you're out of the queue & the goodies are all yours, & it may deter those less honest to try & pull a fast one....or maybe it wouldn't ?! 

Keith

PS I'm also pretty sure there are signs in the Kit Swap room saying buyers must not open the boxes but should seek the assistance of a member of the KS team if they wish to do so.....

Put the seller's phone number on the box  or address if they will allow that then no sale 

If they agree it bypass Data protection act

Let's see how many  fancy pulling a fast one then

Surely IPMS have some responsibility. They are the trader in this situation, taking a commission from the member. Even though the kits are second hand they've still got to be 'fit for purpose' and unless kits are marked as incomplete then they can't be so.

Having been 'stung' on 50% of the kit's I bought a few years back I suspect the issue is more widespread than has otherwise been suggested on here, and that many issues are not reported for the sake of a few quid.

I'd never use the kit-swap again.

p.s. anyone know if a second hand traders licence is required at Telford and if the IPMS hold one?

3 minutes ago, Circloy said:

Surely IPMS have some responsibility.

They specifically state on the Kit Swap form that they take no responsibility & sellers have to sign the form to acknowledge that...

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

They specifically state on the Kit Swap form that they take no responsibility & sellers have to sign the form to acknowledge that...

But that's between the member and IPMS not between the trader (IPMS) and the buyer which is enshrined in the sale of goods act! the two are different.

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

f you happen to find any kits with undeclared, missing parts then I would suggest bringing it to a "yellow shirt" staff-members attention and then we can then write a note on the box-lid to warn potential buyers about the model's condition. 

I would suggest that is a "no-no"................If the kit is NOT fit for purpose, and bought to a yellow shirts notice, that kit should be withdrawn from sale and returned(or confiscated)to the person who had presented it for sale. 

If boxes ARE sealed BEFORE sale(as I believe they are meant to be), when presented at the cash desk, the cashier can quickly check if seals are broken, just by flipping the box over and seeing seals are intact..................if seals ARE broken(purchaser may have broken seals to check contents)if seals are broken it would take the cashier less than a second to lift the lid and see that ONLY that kit is in the box and "NOTHING EXTRA HAS BEEN ADDED" like another smaller kit perhaps!!!!  After all, it is in their interest as they do I believe take a percentage for the sale.

Its becoming a regular occurance about kits at Swap meets and fairs with missing parts.................if I recollect, the same thing happened last year and the year before

2 hours ago, Circloy said:

But that's between the member and IPMS not between the trader (IPMS) and the buyer which is enshrined in the sale of goods act! the two are different.

IPMS quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 on the kit swap listing form. I should think (but don't know) that they've likely taken legal advice on their position in regards to running the kit swap (especially as so much of the show is now becoming ever more entwined in legislative and H&S red tape and insurance requirements). And I guess (but have no idea of the legal stance) that they would see themselves as a facilitator of private sales between individuals rather than being a trader - if they were the latter they'd surely keep all the proceeds of the sale rather than a percentage commission, and would therefore be responsible for the contents of the item? I mean if you buy a car from an auction, then you have no comeback on the auctioneers if it breaks down on your way home....

K

Edited to show that they actually quote the  Consumer Rights Act 2015 rather than the Sale of Goods act I originally said. I have no idea of the difference!!