Aerial line - the best for 1/72?

RidgeRunner

36 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I bought some fine knitting elastic a good few years ago and while it is simple to use and works well, the stuff I used has frayed over the years. Not entirely sure what would have caused that.

That would the great destroyer, Time. Unfortunately EZ-line and knitting-in elastic decay; faster if exposed to direct sunlight.

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I did wonder if that was the case. Does anyone know if the Uschi van der Rosten stuff is prone to the same issue?

Actually it is not the case with Knitting Elastic Prim (sometimes named Gold Zack). First used it approx 15 years ago

and it has not failed. Although not in full sunlight all the time it is for part of the day.

Fraying is caused by cutting the end with scissors. Best to use a sharp Morton blade to give a clean cut. Although

it stretches to 100% of its unstretched length I think it best no more than 10%.

Laurie

• Like 1

That's weird, as I trimmed the elastic with a scalpel. I may have stretched it a bit more than I should have, as I used a weight on the end to keep it in place whilst the glue set.

I found that the fraying seemed to occur in random places. I should also add that it has never been in full sunlight either.

Cheers,

Mark.

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

That's weird, as I trimmed the elastic with a scalpel. I may have stretched it a bit more than I should have, as I used a weight on the end to keep it in place whilst the glue set.

I found that the fraying seemed to occur in random places. I should also add that it has never been in full sunlight either.

Cheers,

Mark.

Not had that Mark. Just counted on the 1/72 Walrus 32 lines of rigging. All in perfect shape. No fraying no snaps.

All in Prim-Gold Sack nicker elastic. Wife has not had problems either :wink:

Think you must be stretching to much Mark. I just use a pair of tweezers just enough stretch to keep it just tort.

Use accelerator on the plastic, spot of quick acting C/A on the rigging end. Goes off in 2 or 3 secs.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS