Aerial line - the best for 1/72?

RidgeRunner

Hi all out there.

I'm new to the need for using line for wire aerials on prop types in 1/72. I'm generally a jet builder. So, what is the recommendation? It would be for wire aerials for A-1, P-47, P-51s etc.

Thanks.

Martin

• Like 1

I use E-Z line, available in a number of varieties- very forgiving to use- easily fixed with a tiny bit of CA and it's slightly stretchy so doesn't spell disaster if you accidentally catch it when handling the model afterwards.

Pretty sure I got mine from Modelling Tools who are members of this forum (and very helpful too), but as the BBC would say, other suppliers are available.

I note that the Modelling Tools website suggests there's a temporary supply delay http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/ez-line-31-c.asp

The one I have at the moment is a touch overscale for 1:72, but not so much as to be glaringly obvious to the layperson.

• Like 1

Actually used to be called nicker elastic thread.

Perfect size for 1/72. I have used Ez Line but after a while the line goes limp and it also frays.

Prym will not. Will stretch about double.

Recommended that using C/A to fix. Prime the wing or fuselage with an C/A accelerator. Dab C/A on the thread end.

With the accelerator the C/A will go off in secs. Use a thin C/A such as Rocket hot. Thread cut so that it is stretched about 10%.

But that depends on the slenderness of some points to be connected.

Prym is cheap compared to EZ line and a reel will last a life time of building 1/72.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Prym-Strick-elastic-200m-977770/2255388420 

Laurie

• Like 1

In my opinion, for what it's worth, is that any material of fixed length / not stretchy is a bit of a liability unless modela are permanently kept in a cabinet. Dusting / handling / transporting to club nights or shows etc will eventually result in broken rigging, whilst heat cycles will eventually lead to sagging.

The lycra products are immune to all this.

It's one of those expenses where you pay a bit up front for a big reel of it then never give it a second thought for the rest of your modelling life.

• Like 2

Uschi and Infini Model lines are lycra for sure. E-Z line I'm not sure to be honest.

I've never heard of freying or breakdown of the former two. I don't sell Uschi myself but the feedback on it is that it's very good stuff. The only negative things I've ever seen / heard about either is when people have tried cutting bits loose and working with them. It's like cobwebs doing it that way. If you work them off their reels though and trim once the CA glue is dried, it's a dawdle.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It has an unpleasant tendency to sag in warm conditions.

John. 

From a VERY old (Airfix?) magazine, the 'hot' match trick.

Strike a match, blow it out then run the still warm match head close to the rigging line, and it will either

a.) instantly snap back, and loose the 'sag'

OR

b.) melt!

Guess how I know :whistle::angrysoapbox.sml::crying:

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

sag in warm conditions

Warm conditions! Here in the UK?:hmmm::D

Photo taken for my Britmodeller yearbook back in 2008.

RcnuY9s.jpg

Photo taken just now.

UCsNRdG.jpg

Other than the dust, the rigging has survived quite well.

I’d suggest that for 1/72 aerial wires, stretched sprue will work and last just fine.:thumbsup2:

Mart

Hi chaps!

So I'm confused (easily done). Given there is no EZ available currently this side of the pond what is the recommendation? I'm not inclined about stretched sprue as it is/gets brittle.....

Thanks again, Martin

Stretched spruce is pants compared to something like EZ line (which is also Licra. based). I've had models rigged with it for years and no problems with sagging. It doesn't like strong sunlight though.

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Ah, but Mart, John lives in "La Belle France"....................:whistle:

Very true, but it can get  ......y cold in winter. As low as -16c. But we do have heating and when it warms up in the house, stretched sprue lines have been known to sag (amongst other things).

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi chaps!

So I'm confused (easily done). Given there is no EZ available currently this side of the pond what is the recommendation? I'm not inclined about stretched sprue as it is/gets brittle.....

Thanks again, Martin

As I said several posts back, try half pound breaking strain fishing line. It won't sag.

John.

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi chaps!

Thanks again, Martin

Get unconfused Martin.

Laurie

https://www.ebay.com/p/Prym-Strick-elastic-200m-977770/2255388420 

Edited by LaurieS