Back to where I started with a couple of 1/72 airfix spitfires

Evening everyone, I decided my next model had to be a Spitfire. I love this aircraft - it was the first plastic kit that I built with my dad when I was eight or nine and seeing them fly over from Duxford every weekend reminded me how much I enjoyed making model kits when I was growing up. I'm sticking to 1/72 for now (though might treat myself to an Eduard 1/48 Spit for Christmas) and couldn't decide between the Airfix mk1a or mk22, so decided to do both, which I thought would nicely bookend the development of this amazing plane. 

I'm going to build them pretty much ootb but will try to make them a bit "crisper", with better joins and filling, clearer canopies, etc, than the p51 and b17 I returned to modelling with here:

So far I've got the cockpits painted up, fuselage halves and wings joined, gaps filled (sort of) and undercoat sprayed on. The mk1a (newer kit i think) had a bit more detail in the cockpit and fit together better than mk22, though no major problems with either. I tried to fill the seams with Vallejo plastic putty which has a really fine nozzle and goes on nicely. However, on sanding it back it sort of chips rather than going smooth and flat. I kept going at it (before and after spraying the undercoat) and reasonably happy with the finish now - it feels smoother than it looks in the photos so I'm hoping the first color coat will leave no visible line - we'll see! Any pointers on this would be great, thanks! 

37574960081_d8526a7950_z.jpg

37526270906_eabfdc5b83_z.jpg

36906119273_e48f772853_z.jpg

36906120763_5ce8c082c6_z.jpg

36865714794_93938251f2_z.jpg

Edited by SaminCam
change title, add link
  • Like 6

Nice work on the 'pits!

Vallejo putty is pretty soft. You can smooth it off early with a damp finger, or cotton bud, or similar, but it does shrink. It doesn't respond very well to rough sanding, though; Micromesh works well for me (not that I'm great when it comes to filling and sanding, far from it).

• Thanks 1

Nice internals Sam and beautifully detailed - good job!

I'm with Chris on the Vallejo - the fine nozzle makes it great for small gaps but it's best smoothed out with a damp finger or cotton bud while still wet.

I also tend to let it go off and then rub a wet cotton bud across the seam at right angles to the gap to remove the excess.

Others say that, like PPP, it should be sanded wet - this stops the cracking and the 'dust' forms a paste to fill the smaller imperfections.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Very nice. The interiors look splendid. One tip, Airfix left off the rudder actuator but it's easily replicated from some stretched sprue.

Here's a photograph, from The Spitfire Site, of what I'm talking about:

FSC06679a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips gents. I bought some micromesh of various grades and persevered with the filling (plus a damp cotton bud) and now pretty happy with the result - we'll see what it looks like with some paints on... Thanks also for the rudder actuator tip, I'd spotted this on someone else's build but hadn't thought of doing it with stretched sprue :yes:.

Got some pre-shading on this afternoon with quite heavily thinned tamiya xf-1, reasonably happy with it though still a bit hit or miss with the airbrush. I've then masked the upper surfaces this evening while watching MotD (rock n' roll Saturday night!). I'm looking forward to getting some colours on this week hopefully.

Getting there:

37441222140_d5736c18fa_z.jpg

Done:

23845882458_cec714808c_z.jpg

• Like 4

Evening all, made a little more progress this week on my Spitfires. The undersides are painted and masked and the topsides have their first colour coat. Using Tamiya acrylics and thinner the Mk1a has XF21 Sky with a drop (maybe 10%) of white and about 50-50 XF49 Khaki and XF52 Flat Earth. I'm interested to see how the Sky looks against the brown once the mask comes off (patience...). For the Mk22 I've used XF83 Medium Sea Grey underneath and XF82 Ocean Grey on top, both again with a drop of white. These colour mixes came from the helpful discussion here, in particular dogsbody's reply: 

Next up is masking the camo pattern and adding dark green to both models, then moment of truth when all the tape comes off... 

37809386216_6b7e7a067e_z.jpg

24005258488_5c882c06ef_z.jpg

37857951521_94ef4542b3_z.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all, quick update, Mk1a has camo masked, Mk22 next up. My method is to stick some tape on, draw on the pattern I want, unstick, cut the shapes out then stick back on the model. It's hard work, taking ages but hopefully will do the job. Fingers crossed I will get some green paint on both models at the weekend. Also apologies for the photos, didn't realise how ropey they were until I uploaded!

37946583951_67d8c3732a_z.jpg

37893379636_8d00585c9d_z.jpg

• Like 7

Evening all, got some more paint on last night and this afternoon. First I topped up the pre-shade on the unmasked sections then went for RAF Dark Green on both models. For this I used thinned XF-71 Dark Green 2 with a drop or two of XF-49 Khaki. This evening was the moment of truth, the mask came off pretty easily and low and behold both Spitfires have come to life! Next I need to remask and paint the sky coloured tail band on the Mk22 and do something about the lights I forgot to put on the underside (hmmm...). Then I think it's time for some varnish and decals. Enjoy!

37288007804_3233de3558_z.jpg

24145713508_8a360eecc5_z.jpg

24145713008_c20ebb9019_z.jpg

• Like 7

Slightly off topic but I've started thinking about what I'm going to do next and I'm very keen on a 1/72 b-29. It looks like academy is the best option and I'd like to do nmf but with turrets, so not the Enola  Gay. Is the best option to get the "Old Battler" and a different decal set? Can anyone recommend a ww2 nmf scheme and decals? Also any recommendations for other extras? Thanks!

Busy week so not too much progress but got the decals on and they settled down ok with the help of lots of microset and sol :yes: Also got the props painted up.  Next step is to seal the decals with another coat of varnish and get the fiddly bits painted (undercarriage, guns, exhausts, probes, aerials, canopies...) . Enjoy!

26415957649_6bf6f0c3c2_z.jpg

38136633826_c82f2ec5b2_z.jpg

37482078204_e3aea66c2f_z.jpg

38136635266_5fac45ca7a_z.jpg

• Like 10

Slow progress I'm afraid. Most of the fiddly bits are painted and ready to be glued on, all the decals are applied with a second varnish layer sprayed on to seal them. The mk1a is masked up again waiting to have red gun patches sprayed on. This evening I took the plunge with some weathering on the lower surface of the mk22. First I did a panel wash with thinned black oil paints, then i added highlights with light grey oil paint and streaks with blacks and browns. For the second part I dabbed a small spot or two of unthinned oil paint on with my finest brush and then blended it in with a larger flat brush. I'm quite pleased with how it's come out - it's difficult to know when to stop but hopefully the weathering is not too over the top. I'm still working these techniques out as I go along (helped and inspired by looking at people's models on here) and really enjoyed this part of the build, looking forward to working on the top side and the mk1a now too. Enjoy!

38337674312_f0b7c35734_z.jpg

38337667582_61246c532b_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress with modelling over the last few weeks as real life keeps getting in the way but have nearly got these two over the finish line. Canopies are masked ready for final matt varnish sometime this week hopefully and then I'll get some better photos taken for a RfI post. The weathering is all with oil paints (black, brown, white, green) and I'm quite happy with the outcome. Thanks for looking in!

38965136211_decafbcd68_z.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...