Star Wars @ 40, Finemold 1:72 X-Wing and Y-Wing

Considering how many Science Fiction models I build, these are the first Star Wars kits I've ever built! I was 17 when SW first appeared in the UK and the first kits didn't appear for longer than that so I'd given up the hobby due to University, rock music, alcohol and girls. Since coming back into the hobby a few years ago I've consciously steered away from SW for much the same reason I don't build German armour - so many other people build these things that I did feel the need to. That said I did collect the DeAgostini Millenium Falcon over the last 2 years and since I'm beginning to run out of Thunderbird models to build, it may be time to start looking at SW kits :)

So to begin with, why not go to the top and a couple of superb Finemolds kits from recent years, namely the X-wing and Y-wing in 1:72 scale. Both were lovely kits to build with no gotchas, just nice to build and paint. I did some paint chipping with maskol, using an XF-20 undercoat with an XF-80 overcoat for the X-wing and XF-19 for the Y-wing. Its quite a subtle change of colour, especially after the washes, but I was happy with the result.

I built the X-wing as Luke's Red 5 and the Y-wing as Gold Leader. I picked up some resin Death Star tiles from Steve Evans on eBay, and long with one of the tiles that comes with the Bandai X-wing (yes that is also in the stash for later) I was able to build a nice base to display both spacecraft. Now this is not representing a specific scene from the movie, its just a representation of the movie itself, 40 years on.

So first the kits:

DSC_8740.JPG

DSC_8808.JPG

and now for the finished display

DSC_8784.JPG

DSC_8785.JPG

DSC_8786.JPG

DSC_8787.JPG

DSC_8788.JPG

DSC_8789.JPG

Here is the base on its own

DSC_8804.JPG

The X-Wing on its own

DSC_8809.JPG

DSC_8802.JPG

DSC_8803.JPG

DSC_8811.JPG

DSC_8812.JPG

Now the Y-wing on its own

DSC_8792.JPG

DSC_8790.JPG

DSC_8791.JPG

DSC_8793.JPG

DSC_8818.JPG

DSC_8815.JPG

DSC_8816.JPG

DSC_8817.JPG

• Like 7

I've always preferred the Y-wing as it just looks a lot more intricate and interesting. The moulding on the Finemolds kit is superb and the mass of pipework just makes everything look so interesting.

Yet another exceptional sci-fi build from your there Mr P. Oh, and a diorama in itself too which just adds to the overall end display of these 2 rather brilliant kits. Having seen these close up last night, I can really appreciate the hard work you have put into this build - they even still smelt of chemicals to add to their freshness.

That Y Wing really was rather splendid