H builds the Auto Union type D. FINISHED!!!

Hockeyboy76

7 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's looking good buddy, I bet that opening the vents took a while - I hope that all your fingers are intact. 

Cheers dude, All fingers accounted for, quite a few extra nicks tho. Not sure if that’s DIY or model related. 

Got some paint on some of the components yesterday. Not technically correct, but I have used Ford Moondust silver for the engine & chassis , Humbrol 53 for the gearbox, and tamiya silver for some engine gubbins. I also primed the body work, which has now shown every slip of the razor saw opening up the grills. Guess I’m back to sanding. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year fellow modellers. Time to get cracking & to keep @nimrod54 happy, it’s time for some Albion alloy spark plugs. Can you see them?

resized_72a2a15e-81c7-4860-9193-46db4bd1

now to this

resized_f567c5ea-0a7f-4839-b251-265fd59a

and finally all plugged up

resized_ece88966-657a-4901-8139-eb54a052

Engine and gearbox attached. A little more wiring to do then can crack on with the rest of the car. 

resized_8da57808-63eb-4e22-b7f4-f5ce6090

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A little more progress 

resized_76d1ec5e-e5ad-488e-ae4b-74bb9bfd

resized_d92de7ae-29f7-4e89-ab5d-3313bc6a

Engine attached to chassis 

resized_a3a322ba-7bf7-4597-ae76-fa3543b7

The gold is AKs True Metal gold. It’s great stuff & it hasn’t even been buffed yet. What an evening awaits!

• Like 4

A little more progress today

resized_c41f82a8-2547-4a0a-a3e8-93bc5fce

resized_76a134fd-c760-4920-be59-9b8bccef

resized_c2f9404c-8cd8-461e-ae59-23da6b13

The last picture is the body work under a first coat of Tamiya TS17 gloss aluminium.  Needs a rub down and respray, preferably somewhere warmer than the man garage!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Well done on sorting out the body H, looks as though you were able to sort the scratches out, The Chassis is looking good too, wheels on soon?

Cheers dude. Hope to get them on soon, sticking with the kit wire wheels as they look pretty good under a coat of silver. Body works the priority tho & scratch building new wing mirrors and screen. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Looking amazing. It's hard to get spark plugs that small to screw in without cross-threading the plug hole, isn't it?

It’s even harder to check for a spark!🤔

Thanks for the kind comments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having a few fit issues at the moment. With the fuel tanks installed into the lower tub, the seat back bulkhead now fails to fit & leaves a big gap between upper & lower tubs. Also having fitted the tanks I have made it exceptionally hard to fit the exhausts, which I left off to replace with alloys. New plan is to fit the kit parts and as I can’t find my micro drills after the move and paint the tops black to give the impression of exhaust holes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Also having fitted the tanks I have made it exceptionally hard to fit the exhausts, which I left off to replace with alloys. New plan is to fit the kit parts and as I can’t find my micro drills after the move and paint the tops black to give the impression of exhaust holes. 

Sorry to hear about fit issues H.

On older vehicle kits I have often used short lengths of tubing - sliding these over the kit parts for exhausts and hiding the junction behind body panels. Admittedly they have generally been single exhaust jobs, so I am not sure how easy it would be to do that in this case, but it may be another possibility.

58 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Sorry to hear about fit issues H.

On older vehicle kits I have often use short lengths of tubing - sliding these over the kit parts for exhausts and hiding the junction behind body panels. Admittedly they have generally been single exhaust jobs, so I am not sure how easy it would be to do that in this case, but it may be another possibility.

Was going to do that with this one dude. I don’t have any tubing wide enough to cover the kit parts / fit the six exhaust stacks per side. 

Well I was really enjoying this build until I tried to join the top and bottom body work together. After trimming the seat bulkhead to fit over the fuel tanks I managed to get the front halves to join, so they were superglued & clamped. But try as I may, I couldn’t get a decent fit on the rear, and to make matters worse, the engine seems to be sitting too high & the engine cowling doesn’t fit. The engine can’t sit any lower in the chassis & it’s nothing to do with my wiring. I was planning to display it with the cowling off, now I have no choice!  Getting closer to completion, just some tidying up of filler around the rear bodywork and a scratch built windscreen to make. 

• Like 2

Coming along nicely now buddy, it's a shame that the top cover won't play the game and lie down properly because the fit looks great off the chassis. Your plan to display it with cover off is a good one, it would be a pity to hide all of that engine work. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to @Rabbit Leader for the photo of the windscreen. My clear parts and decals are missing so time to scratch build a screen, using some clear plastic and some left over PE from the spares box

resized_32a5dc91-d2b6-43dc-add4-61b78864

These make this

resized_d2b43d65-72de-449b-a504-fdb655b2

Got to be happy with that.

It was my third attempt at the plastic, first one was the wrong size and shape, second much better but pinged off to the carpet monster. Strange he’s here as we have wood flooring!  

• Like 3