H builds the Auto Union type D. FINISHED!!!

Hockeyboy76

I wasn’t on the list but couldn’t pass up the opportunity of the GB. I’m going to have a crack at this badger

resized_ea866282-2665-43cf-92b5-85079af6

And the sprue shots

resized_d2895669-cc94-4678-88b1-63952eac

Got to love that chrome. 

On closer inspection, I’m missing the decals and the clear parts. Decals sourced online, screen to be bodged when the time comes. And while I was ordering stuff, I ordered some Albion Alloys tubing just to keep @nimrod54 happy. Plan to replace the exhausts with it. How do you get a clean cut with the metal?

On a plus note the man cave is finished!

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 6

Nice,

I built that as a youngster and I think It startled a life long interest in cars for me... I’d live to build another but can never find  kit..

will follow with interest.

Plasto

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Got to love that chrome. 

On closer inspection, I’m missing the decals and the clear parts. Decals sourced online, screen to be bodged when the time comes. And while I was ordering stuff, I ordered some Albion Alloys tubing just to keep @nimrod54 happy. Plan to replace the exhausts with it. How do you get a clean cut with the metal?

I don't know about Albion alloys, but to cut a metal rod, I usually just roll it under a hobby knife. The trick is to keep the knife from meandering. Should just take a few rolls. If it's still rough, a few brushes against a sanding stick should smooth it. 

Or, see about getting a mini tube cutter. Those are tough to use with real small diameter rods though...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not a problem that you are on the list. The more the better.:thumbsup2:

A great choice of model. I have only builded the Porsche many moons ago, but it was a lovely model.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

This kit is the only car model I have and probably ever likley to build.

I will look on with immense interest and may well join you in an Auto Union Type D group build within this Matchbox GB II Group build.

Being an aircraft modeller, I know next to nothing about auto modelling - but really love this era of Motorsport, hence the shear delight when I finally won one of these kits on eBay (and at a reasonable price too).  

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave.  

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

And while I was ordering stuff, I ordered some Albion Alloys tubing just to keep @nimrod54 happy. Plan to replace the exhausts with it. How do you get a clean cut with the metal?

Good to hear that the man cave is finally finished buddy and that you have invested in some Albion Alloys tubing. As for cutting it, you could get one of these (comes with hacksaws) :winkgrin:, but I usually roll it under a new scalpel blade as suggested above.

• Thanks 1

@Rabbit Leader would be great if you joined in too dude. If your kit has the plastic parts could I get the dims of the windscreen please. 

@nimrod54 thanks for the link dude. Not sure I could even hold a hacksaw that small. 

Thanks for the advice on cutting the tubing guys. 

• Like 3

Got this one on the shelf of doom.

Can't remember why it's there either.

Perhaps I had an attack of AMS when I found a couple of articles in Classic and Sports car complete with quite a few photos of a freshly restored one.

Might quietly complete mine too in the background, it's over 25% so it's not eligible.

IanJ

• Like 1

No probs Hockeyboy. 

A photo is probably worth a 1000 words, so here you go. It will also provide you with the overall shape which includes those framed edges. 

The windscreen appears to be 10mm at its base and 6mm or so in height. 

I've also attached a photograph of the decal sheet which isn't much. Just a bunch of 4's and the Auto Union badge for the bonnet. 

Hope this helps and I'm getting tempted to join this GB each time I look at the sprures! 

Cheers.. Dave 

37331986420_7af643f6a9_b.jpg

37590524211_f899c2abd5_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rabbit Leader

nice one dude, that’s great, will be bashing some PE & cutting some clear plastic when the time comes. 

Come on, join the mini Auto Union GB within the Matchbox GB, I have a bunch of numbers coming so you can have dibs on number 4. 

@Bonhoff

would love to see how you got on with yours dude. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

13 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I have a bunch of numbers coming so you can have dibs on number 4. 

Thanks for that. I might take you up on your offer, however might also consider modelling the Type D in another number.

I'm still trying to work out why racing cars of this era (and possibly as recent as 1972) seem to wear different numbers for each race - can anyone shed some light here?

Was this the position that they finished the previous race?

Whilst googling images of Auto Union Type D's I've seen the numbers 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 22.

Ideally it would also be nice to know what driver, drove what car, with what number during what race during the 1938 and 1939 seasons ?

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

That engine looks to be a great starting point, nicley detaile oob, it looks to be better than the sskl engine, the gearbox looks good too, these are both areas on the sskl that are in need of a tweak,  matchbox has only molded half an axle and the spark plugs are molded on the engine,removing the chrome helps the look of the spokes on the wheels.  don't know about you,  hb but my knees are knocking at the thought of making wire wheels in 1/32 scale, i have seen photo etch spokes for 1/32 but whether they'll be thinner than the plastic spokes who knows, only £3,99 so may be worth a punt, happy motoring

Glynn

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

That engine looks to be a great starting point, nicley detaile oob, it looks to be better than the sskl engine, the gearbox looks good too, these are both areas on the sskl that are in need of a tweak,  matchbox has only molded half an axle and the spark plugs are molded on the engine,removing the chrome helps the look of the spokes on the wheels.  don't know about you,  hb but my knees are knocking at the thought of making wire wheels in 1/32 scale, i have seen photo etch spokes for 1/32 but whether they'll be thinner than the plastic spokes who knows, only £3,99 so may be worth a punt, happy motoring

Glynn

There is actually some great detail in this kit, including moulded wiring on the back of the dashboard

I wasn’t planning on replacing the wire wheels, just tidying them up, but now😗. Do you have link to where I can get some?

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Today I started to open out the air vents on the bonnet. Have you ever started something & then thought “what am I doing?”

resized_dd8f2f29-3370-487f-86c9-fb592386

Used a fine saw to open them. Only LOTS more to go!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Still slowly plodding along with opening up the grilles. Have completed what I would call the bonnet & boot, now doing the engine covers.  

Some multi tasking required as am juggling this GB along with KUTA F15 shame, planning to build a F104 cockpit in the 104 GB, plus any other DIY tasks sent my way. (Kitchen must be done before Christmas)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After much kitchen DIYing, I have found a few moments and finally finished opening up all the grills, air intakes and louvres. Pics to follow. Hope to sneak a days work in at the bench next week. 

• Like 3