Falklands wessex

Teeradej

Hello guys. I am interested a Matchbox 1/72 Westland Wessex HU.5 kit somewhere online so I just need to know is it appropriate for a Wessex during Falklands conflict and please suggest me if there are any aftermaker decals for the particular subject. 

Firstly, yes the Matchbox kit is appropriate for a Falklands/Operation Corporate Wessex.  The Wessex is a very underrepresented warhorse from the Falklands campaign and I don't think it has been included on any aftermarket decal sheets, however it looks like the aircraft only wore "ROYAL NAVY" titles, serial numbers and squadron codes which you should be able to source from Modeldecal's or Xtradecal's serial letter sheets.

If you can find a copy, Harry Benson's book Scram gives a very good account of the type's operations during the campaign.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Generally 847 NAS didn’t have Royal Navy on the tail pylon or under the cockpit on the electrical panel. However 845 NAS did, having re-deployed from Clockwork exercise in the beginning of 1982.

My advice would be pick an aircraft and model that specific one, as Hendie has suggested in the past.

If and only If you have the option of choice, is model the Italeri Wessex V and not the Matchbox, italeri has the look of a Wessex V, watch out for the tail rotor direction of rotation though.

What ever you choose, enjoy.

• Like 1