Grumman Martlet MKII "7" Pitot tube

Grey Beema

I am in the process of finishing a 1/48 Grumman Martlet II.  The aircraft I am doing is one of the batch that had the "7" Pitot tube.  I have tried scaling a drawing off the http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html of the Pitot tube but it doesn't look right to me (to short and too acute an angle.  Does anyone have a clear drawing of the Pitot so I can scratch one up?

Cheers

Is it same on FM-2 and F4F?

FM-2: the bracket pitot tube support receive one coat ZCY and one finish coat of gloss red lacquer. A decalcomania "DO NOT USE AS A HANDLE" is applied on outboard side, black letter(1/4)/clear background
All data come from another original drawing
pitot_10.jpgpitot_10.jpg
the length of the Pitot head is around 8"

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I am in the process of finishing a 1/48 Grumman Martlet II.  The aircraft I am doing is one of the batch that had the "7" Pitot tube.  I have tried scaling a drawing off the http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html of the Pitot tube but it doesn't look right to me (to short and too acute an angle.  Does anyone have a clear drawing of the Pitot so I can scratch one up?

Cheers

I don't have a drawing, but here is a photo from the Angelfire website  that shows them pretty clearly as well as the overall length and angle of the strut. Hope it is helpful until somebody comes along with better information or photos- maybe Dana Bell, Tailspin Turtle, or Bruce Archer.

Mike

Martlet_IIs.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mike and Chris, I think the design might be a bit nearer my sketch than I thought.  

Think I will try scratching up the Pitot and see how it compares to the picture, then you can let me know what you think..

As an observation the shell type propeller boss Spinner on the machine furthest left, does that look much longer than the others?

Thanks again..

Thanks BS_W.  Unfortunately that the usual underwing type.  The one I'm looking for is the over wing type shown in the photo and drawing above.  If you have a drawing for that it would be cool...

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Thanks Mike and Chris, I think the design might be a bit nearer my sketch than I thought.  

Think I will try scratching up the Pitot and see how it compares to the picture, then you can let me know what you think..

As an observation the shell type propeller boss Spinner on the machine furthest left, does that look much longer than the others?

Thanks again..

It sure does.....back to the references, mates!

Mike

Just need to do the little Fin for the top of it but I think it looks ok (well for Government work anyway).

Blurry shot

lic.kr/p/YrgZ4K]37042010053_49f5ef32bf_c.jpg[/url] 

Need a bit of filler around the bottom but nearly there...

23859161188_cb0b226819_c.jpg

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 2