This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemodeller

Puzzled... why no pilots?

Posted (edited)

I have just been reading the review of the new Airfix Phantom - a model I have on pre-order and, frankly, looks superb and I cannot wait to get my hands on.

But I am puzzled. Airfix have included loads of ‘inflight’ options (extended nose wheel, dropped arrestir hook etc) but no pilots. For me this is not a big problem as I can take some from another kit (Hawk or Vampire) but I can see this being a disappointment for some.

The same was true of their SeaKing - aftermarket figures are available but there is nothing on the box to warn the unwary buyer.

I know lots of you don’t put the crew in so won’t be bothered but it would be nice to be told!

Or are Airfix planning to launch their own pilot/ground crew sets??

Edited by brianthemodeller

I heard that there are no good figure artists anymore who can design the pilots to fit the new generation of models

In the past Airfix have received bad press certainly on here for some "generic" pilots they have produced fro some kits. So damned if they do and damned if they dont. In that case much easier to leave them out and save the cost of putting them on the sprues?

I dont expect crew in a kit unless it actually mentions it so no disappointment for me.

Julien

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I heard that there are no good figure artists anymore who can design the pilots to fit the new generation of models

I seriously doubt that looking at what is available out there.

Julien

No longer an aircraft modeller, but if I was I think that I would prefer there not to be aircrew included in the kit. For one it would increase the price of the kit, and for another, injection moulded figures can never achieve the same amount of sharp detail that a resin one can. Granted, their cost is far more than an injection one, but for me it's outweighed by the sharper definition. Even with AFV modelling in 1/35th, my preferred  scale, I nearly always change the kits head for one from Hornet models.

John.

Posted (edited)

You'd think when Airfix could get an entire aircraft scanned by LIDAR that it would a simply exercise to get a person in a contemporary flight suit and have that subject scanned at the same time. Just a thought Airfix, if you follow this forum !

Edited by Mick4350

I was contemplating building the old Matchbox Beaufighter for the Matchbox GB, and so bought the new Airfix Beau to use as a reference guide.

The kit's OK, but the Airfix crew are not so much a joke, as an embarrassment. The Matchbox versions may be a little static in their poses, but they're in scale and cleanly moulded - Airfix seems to have used Silly Putty to sculpt theirs. Personally, I'd rather that if Airfix can't get it at least as right as Matchbox did 40 years ago (preferably better), they just stop including figures. The crew in my Jet Provost are unusably blobby as well.

For that matter, the old Hasegawa Lightning that I built a couple of years ago had a better pilot than that supplied in the new Airfix kits.

Not sure of the point of this, actually. It's late, I'm tired, and Airfix bashing is a sport not appreciated here. Regardless, there's my thoughts on it - Airfix should get it right, or stop doing it.

4 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

You'd think when Airfix could get an entire aircraft scanned by LIDAR that it would a simply exercise to get a person in a contemporary flight suit and have that subject scanned at the same time.

This is exactly what I was going to say. There are companies that scan people, so that you can end up with a 3D printed figure of yourself, so why don't they do what Mick suggests, then surely the figure can be treated like any other part. If they do it like this, I can't see why it would appreciably affect the price of the kit. There must be a reason why they don't, anyone know?

They would need to scan a small statured person in full flying kit inside either a full or reduced size cockpit; a new one for every kit

No longer are the generic crotch-grabber or cross-legged pilots suitable; each cockpit now needs a dedicated shaped pilot, smaller than the kit scale as the inside of the cockpit is smaller due to plastic thickness

On 10/8/2017 at 13:02, Mick4350 said:

You'd think when Airfix could get an entire aircraft scanned by LIDAR that it would a simply exercise to get a person in a contemporary flight suit and have that subject scanned at the same time. Just a thought Airfix, if you follow this forum !

This simply does not work. When Airfix did the 1/48 figures for the OP Herrick sets they looked at modern ways of doing figures but they simply were not happy with the results and went back to the tried and tested option of getting them sculpted.

Julien

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Julien said:

I seriously doubt that looking at what is available out there.

Julien

Their last set of WWII figures was panned because of the sculpting. Airfix seem unable to attract a competent sculptor.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, Julien said:

I dont expect crew

Same thing happened at Ryanair :lol:

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Their last set of WWII figures was panned because of the sculpting. Airfix seem unable to attract a competent sculptor.

That is an airfix problem though, rather than a lack of competent sculptors as was suggested.

Aren't we talking Airfix kits? If Airfix don't have a tame sculptor they'll find it difficult to put pilots in.

Clearly good sculpters exist. Look at Zveda's 1:72 figures and the host of new 1:35 figures from various companies.

Also the hard plastic wargaming figures by Games Workshop, Perry Miniatures etc.

Edited by 3DStewart
More info added.

How about a pilot set,to include separate arms,heads and legs to allow various poses.