PK-1 Hawker Fury

Robert Stuart

The first of the Furies, and the first of the Matchbox kits, if by no means first in this GB - Matchboxs Hawker Fury.

My entry here is an earlyish boxing of the kit (1975 according to Scalemates)

2017_mbox_002.jpg

I've built the kit before, a long time back, and can not recall any problems.

Looking at the plastic now, all I can comment on now is a coulple of ejector pins on the underside of thw top wing, and some sink in the undercarriage legs.  Nothing that can't be sorted out...

2017_mbox_004.jpg

Depending on mood, I may try to do something about the cockpit - the seat is an unbelievable bench, there is no joystick, nor instruments.  Matchbox suggest this whole area is painted black, which would hide a wealth of sins (this is a 1972/3 kit, released before Tamigawa began to up the game).

After market stuff - I have Model Alliance's Wings of Silver Part 1 decal set.  That contains one Fury I (RAF Cranwell), and two Fury IIs (25 and 41 Squadrons), and a Yahu instrument panel.  The Matchbox transfers (decals) look as if they have survived well, so I may stay with their 43 Squadron offering.

Even with camera shake, the Yahi IP looks stunning:

2017_mbox_006.jpg

If I 'improve' the 'pit, that will go in.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit quiet of late, but there is some progress ...

The Matchbox 'pit is very simple ....

2017_mbox_007.jpg

I've added a bit of a framework

2017_mbox_008.jpg

And some paint ...

2017_mbox_009.jpg

The frame work stops at floor level - this isn't, by any means, a fully accurate rendition, but it'll do for the model cabinet.

• Like 8

Hi Robert,

this promises to be interesting! Beautiful kit, a far cry from the others coming on its heels. I still have mine in my cabinet and I still love it (I will love it more when I have removed the dust that the last dust storm deposited everywhere...).

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John said:

I'm sure mine was bright blue and a sort of buff grey, if I remember correctly.

IIRC, my first Fury was bright blue and grey too, which matches the box art.  Matchbox did vary their colours.

Neolutionists? I hate them. They're like ticks - you can never tell when you've got one on you.

Was that Ferdinand? I did like Orphan Black, and had to sign up to NFlx to see the last few series.

2 hours ago, jean said:

this promises to be interesting! Beautiful kit, a far cry from the others coming on its heels. I still have mine in my cabinet and I still love it (I will love it more when I have removed the dust that the last dust storm deposited everywhere...).

Have fun!

Thanks JR, I didn't realise you had dust storms that far south - when I was (very) small, we lived much nearer the Sahara, and that did generate dust.  Don't have nearly so many problems at home though.

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

IIRC, my first Fury was bright blue and grey too, which matches the box art.  Matchbox did vary their colours.

Was that Ferdinand? I did like Orphan Black, and had to sign up to NFlx to see the last few series

The evolution of Matchbox kit colours is a subject in itself. I loved my orange and white Zero! 

The quote is indeed Ferdinand. Orphan Black was a bit mind boggling in places but it was a great series. 

John 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...