Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

Thanks Keith :) I know nothing about paint science either but iModelkit has an 'auto mix' that let's you choose a reference and then 'calculates' a mix from the paints you have in stock - good app. I tried using the photo you posted (nice!) as a reference but the colour varies so much... perhaps it doesn't matter what I choose if I weather it!

Flickr's up and down like a whore's yo yo at the moment but I'll have a play and post later.

• Haha 1

Hi Ced

Bit late joining in here, but as part of my catch up I've just seen the video of your flight - what an incredible experience! I love the 360 view on the video, especially as I could pick out landmarks! I'm from Portsmouth and my gf's just the other side of Bognor, so we often see 'your' Spitfire overhead or along the coast - it was great to be able to pick out Bognor Pier, Butlins and then the sea defences at Elmer.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it all - the 49 mins flew by (aha!). I have to agree with Biggles87 though, Battle of Britain soundtrack would be in my head too!

I'm off to see what's in my piggy bank! (probably just enough for an Airfix Spitfire - 1/72 of course!)

Best wishes

Jim

• Like 3

Enjoyed the Spitfire vid, that's one heck of a grin Ced!

Great to see the Gosling is growing into a goose at last, it sure has been a problem child and that moulding is positively prehistoric. It's looking great now, home straight! :thumbsup2:

I like the idea of a colour mixing app. I've got an Android and I can't see anything that would give you a colour mixing 'solution' from a stock of paint. Any recommendations out there?

• Thanks 1

Nice looking pigmentationing there Ced. Your paint jobs just get smooooother with each build!

1 hour ago, HP42 said:

I like the idea of a colour mixing app. I've got an Android and I can't see anything that would give you a colour mixing 'solution' from a stock of paint. Any recommendations out there?

Nowt on Android to compare with iModelkit's mixing palette  - the most you can hope for is a series of paint inventory / manufacturer comparison apps. A pretty poor showing all told.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I dunno about the science of colour mixing Ced, I do know all eyes & monitors vary, but in that shot above the bit marked 71.044 is getting there to my eyes, but still not quite dark or green enough.

Keith

Edit; On my monitor the wing of the Seafire in the foreground would give you something to go at. It may be that lightening RAF dark green & then adding that bit of red (and/or some yellow) & possibly a touch of grey might get close? 

3210ecf1279ebe4bd5a97fe0bfc95a64.jpg

Hey Keith,

Did'nt know that pic ! What a very good one, where is it coming from ?

sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hello Ced,

I must confess that I have looked again at your video !

Your pleasure is so overwelming...

Thank for sharing, again;

A TR 9, not a fourth entry to this GB ??:hmmm:

Very good job on your Gosling, first FAA model ???

Burn the heretics !! :D

To me the best match is from Xtracrylics !

Very good ones, I used it on my Seafire and my Corsair.

Have a very nice day or night

Thinking of Gilda Ah when she get her gloves off ....

Hoops, I skidded !:lol:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks Jimbo :) It was a great experience and one of the benefits of 'modern life' is that it's captured. No cameras (or any loose items) allowed in war birds so the video is worth the extra.

One of the other 'pilots' that day lived fairly locally and he'd arranged for his wife and father-in-law to wait in a known location to video the Spitfire victory rolling over his house. Now that's a special day!

Thanks Jont - I'm getting the hang of it! :) Now if only I could weather like a Spadgent!

Thanks Phil :) I still grin watching the video...

Cheers Tony, very kind. I aspire to a Baronship, sometime :) I think Apple's developer community is 'blessed' by some great tools and support. There's an app for that :D

Thanks CC :)

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

3210ecf1279ebe4bd5a97fe0bfc95a64.jpg

I'm re-posting Keith's photo 'cos it's given me an idea... or is it the wine?

If I go for that sort of finish it won't matter what the paint starts off like... I can 'weather it'.

iModelKit gave me another mix when I started with Vallejo 053:

37918982662_d1fdc376bc_z.jpg

Without wanting to be smug, the app let's you choose a 'reference' from multiple sources. I chose Humbrol 224.

Click '+ New Paint', choose the source (like your stock) and it gives a list, closest match at the top.

The 'Mix' bit shows how far off you are so you can add another paint.

Click '+ New Paint' again and choose a colour; I didn't want to mix brands so I stuck to Vallejo Model air.

Click the little 'Calculator' icon and it works out the mix. The one shown here is close enough; -2 red, +1 green but spot on for black.

To achieve the weather effect I think I'l start with that mix and add some white / brown for patches.

Full of ill conceived confidence I sprayed the thinned Hobby Aqueous EDSG:

37919748532_33f9497a35_z.jpg

EDSG by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

We'll see tomorrow what sort of dog's breakfast I can make of the finish.

• Like 12

EDSG with tone variations, can it get any better than this? :clap: :D  Of course it can, a certain specific Spitfire with tone variations comes to mind .... :whistle: 

Ciao

• Like 1

The painting is turning out very well. The tone variations on EDSG are a beauty!

Thanks for the clarification on the X20A :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio :) Which Spitfire with tonal variations did you like?

Thanks Leon - glad you've caught up; good to see you :)

Thanks Martin, you're too kind :)

Thanks Jaime :)

With some trepidation, but not much, I mixed up some VMA and Cookie's thinners. Silly. VMA doesn't need thinners. Doh. I suffered, of course, even with 5psi, my lowest setting ever.

I chased the paint about a bit, panicked when I got some spidering (NO THINNER next time) and, as the paint dried, watched it go, er, grey. Keep going, it may get better.

It didn't.

In the end I added 2 drops of IG (it was green and near at hand).

More by accident than anything (certainly not skill or intention) I think I got an acceptable 'dirty' finish:

37932381282_8c8dd63be0_z.jpg

Dirty Gosling by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

37253655574_943df958d6_z.jpg

26187708189_25ed90aa57_z.jpg

Sort of like Keith's photo? It took ages. Long enough for my coffee to go cold. About an hour? Time flew.

Any obvious mess ups will get weathered to death after the transfers go on.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Long enough for my coffee to go cold. About an hour?

An hour?! It usually takes me at least 1 or 2 hours to put a camo coat on a 1/72nd the size of the Gosling or smaler & 2 to 3 on a 48th equivalent! No wonder I get so few finished!! :D

That doesn't look too bad a representation of Dark Slate Grey at all Ced, good job!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio :) Which Spitfire with tonal variations did you like?

I "did" not like it, I "will" like it  - the one you flew in, of course :) 

3 hours ago, CedB said:

More by accident than anything (certainly not skill or intention) I think I got an acceptable 'dirty' finish:

You did that by accident?? :frantic:  :frantic:  Well, it turned out just great, the best base for weathering! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris :) Well spotted on the tailplane, now touched up with the other bits.

Thanks Keith - crikey, I'm obviously spraying too fast! I will... try... to... slow down :)

Ah, thanks Giorgio - the TR.9, to be started soon (I hope). :)

Over the pub tonight - yes, again!

There may be a short intermission....

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

No don't - you'll end up building three a year like me (& that's a good year...!!)

Keith

What's wrong with building three kits a year? :whistle: That's my average, too :coolio:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The camouflage with the tonal variations looks good.

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

No don't - you'll end up building three a year like me (& that's a good year...!!)

3 hours ago, giemme said:

What's wrong with building three kits a year? :whistle: That's my average, too :coolio:  :D

Well, it seems I'm not the only one with such a poor average... except this year I've only finished one yet...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

I agree with Keith on the Dark Slate Grey and I like the patchy appearance ( it was intentional wasn't it ) which seemed to be a feature of that particular colour.

Three kits a year? That's pushing it a bit if you ask me. :D

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks Keith, Giorgio and John - don't mind the quantity, it's the quality that matters... and the fun, don't forget the fun :D

Thanks Jaime - glad you like it - and the same comment about quality, not quantity, applies to you! :)

Thanks Steve - I was taught to 'show my workings' and I'm pleased if it helps others, especially avoiding the problems!

Thanks John - yes, intentional. Honest.

Before the pub last night I dry-fitted a wheel to see if the yellow would be visible:

37971341171_a50f864381_z.jpg

Uh, yes, sort of. But the hole in the hub is certainly glaring. I pushed some Humbrol filler from the back of the hole and achieved a nice round hub shape... until I pushed too far. Rats. Flattened out and touched up. I might try that again, next time watching from the 'right side' until the hub's the right size.

A bit fragile this morning so, like and idiot, I decided that applying about a dozen transfers would be easy.

I like using DecalFix with Airfix decals but I forgot that it melts Mr Hobby Aqueous:

37953153062_31e43161ac_z.jpg

More 'weathering'! Switched to MicroSet and the transfers settled really well with a rolled cotton bud. And then this:

26207989319_e7384df98c_z.jpg

I don't like two-part roundels at the best of times, but when the dot is too big... grrrrr.

Check the stash - Xtradecal sheet:

37953510402_67b37c4d38_z.jpg

Hmmm, they seem to be 'non-standard' size? More stash searching and found some dots that sort of worked:

37983914371_d76f0612a9_z.jpg

They'll do for the ceiling.

Done. MicroSet on the front band and RN transfers. I'll leave this to dry:

37274822454_9d1c509493_z.jpg

• Like 15