Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

Apologies for the lack of progress chaps - we have 'the men' in doing some plastering and re-modelling the downstairs 'facilities' and they're taking up far too much modelling time!

Thanks Keith - I stuck to the bitter! :D

Thanks CC - the Spitfire you saw at Arundel probably was G-ILDA... or the City of Exeter :)

Thanks Benedikt - great picture of the crates in the car. What a mistaka ta maka! :)

Thanks Giorgio - it was your CA Gel tip that fixed it in the end! :)

Thanks Ian - I hope it's not Benedikt's car too :)

Thanks Joe, very kind :)

Thanks Tony :D  I'm not sure why this canopy caused so many problems. Perhaps it's my mood or something...

Thanks Tomo - beer had! :)

Thanks Jaime, although I could do without any more battles like that :)

I started masking the canopy this morning:

37803192422_280ff479d3_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... and then this arrived in the post:

37827852491_6b7877a471_z.jpg

Not the best Spitfire model I've seen but:

23975161228_9860edd8d6_z.jpg

... it hides a copy of the video.

I've spent most of the day trying to find out how to edit 360 degree mp4 video files, so far with no luck. I shall persevere!

• Like 17

Just caught up with this and enjoyed the read. Great story about the chemicals. As a lad I would have loved to have been involved in something like that. Glad some of my tips were of use. I'll have to start charging commission. Looking forward to the catch up at Telford - crickey it's not far off now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What on earth have you been up to Ced?

Hundreds of little tubes of glue on your bench

Jars of gloss varnish and all the clamps in the world

And you got embroiled in a chemical workshop instead of the modelling studio

I do love the upper vents, brilliant use of 'some old Spitfire' bits, had to be good for summat after all.  😕

Now back to the windscreen, have you lost your file?

Really mate!

Back to basics gloss the clear bit, let it dry

Make the edges varnish free and glue it in with a good glueing

Clean it with the file to size then polish it flatter

Sorted

No seriously mate , you've done a fabulous job of that and beaten the little b....r into the ground

And yes, fabulous little Spitfire, might be the finest little Merlin replica ever

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

spent most of the day trying to find out how to edit 360 degree mp4 video files, so far with no luck. 

Any use Ced?

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/360-degree-video-editing-process

The rare Spitfire Mk.USB is a nice touch imo.:D

37 minutes ago, perdu said:

have you lost your file?

A disciplinary offence, surely?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Nigel - always learning from BM! Looking forward to Telford too :D

Thanks Giorgio - not the best Spitfire in my collection! :)

Thanks Bill :) I've been messing things up! The canopy's in now and I've cleaned up the surrounds. I'll get it masked and progress! File is safe, don't worry.

Thanks Keith :)

Thanks Tony :) I had a look at the link but, knowing very little about video editing apart from my attempts at using iMovie, I'm not sure where to start :(

The USB contained a single mp4 file and, as this screen grab shows, it's obviously 360:

37851138021_31d7b86d4b_z.jpg

Video Screen Grab by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

but what I need to do is edit out the bits I don't want, set the viewing angle I want to 'focus' on and produce a 'flat' video. It looks like Pinnacle Studio Ultimate will do the job but there's no trial version and forking out £115 is a risk if it doesn't work... why don't they do a trial version??

The girls are home this weekend so little modelling time :(

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Will the new Spit hang from the ceiling too? Unable to watch video due to bandwidth issues, but am home in the week so looking forward to watching the video along with a 🍺 or more!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Ian :D Nope, the new 'Spitfire' will stay on the desk... it's not even good enough for my ceiling!

I've spent most of the day editing the video and 'converting' the 360 clips I want to 'flat' video. Then importing it to iMovie and painstakingly editing it to include some of the photos.

Only to find iMovie can't render the movie at the end; it crashes. Rats. I shall persevere!

Talking of perseverance, while videos were processing I did some on the Gosling...

It should come as no surprise that the tailplanes don't fit:

37156095353_e01f53b4af_z.jpg

They need to 'meet' at the front and, of course, fit without a gap on the join. After much fettling I got it to fit(ish) and glued them in, supported with BluTak:

24024497538_b5dfe60b67_n.jpg 37167069324_e337368899_n.jpg

... and then blobbed some Humbrol filler on the front ready for sanding:

37885440061_0201534357_z.jpg

Next a quick look at the gear doors:

37157564603_6142b4f8e1_z.jpg

... showed the usual flash. Ugh. BUT where do they go when retracted? There's not much room with the wheels in:

37175547974_aa30a3d086_z.jpg

RC groups has the following image for the Goose:

a319229-250-pbyleg.gif

So it looks as though the lower support goes in behind the wheel. :hmmm:

• Like 13

You'll be scratchbuilding soon if you're not careful Ced! All the work you're doing here is leading up to it.....and fine work it is too!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jaime :) I think / hope the only challenge left is the float assembly and rigging, although this kit has had me at every step so far!

Thanks Benedikt :) You're right and the windows have been bothering me. I've taken them out while I still can, trimmed the frames, reinserted the clear and glued them again. If they're still not good enough I'll flood the damned things with ClearFix at the end. That'll teach 'em! I agree on the wheels too, I think.

Thanks Ian :) I'm doing enough messing about for now thanks, but some scratch building is always, er, a challenge!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello once again, Ced. It's a seaplane . So it should fit tight as it could be.  I would keep it close or fill that gap. Cheers

This was originally for the wheels, but should be working for everything  else on a seaplane . Good to hear for the rework of the windows , Ced. Cheers and goodnight.

Edit: This was obsolete, except from "Cheers and goodnight"

Wer liest, kommt weiter!:banghead::banghead:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Benedikt :)

I've finally edited the Spitfire video.

Exported some of the 360 movie in 'flat format', learning stuff about Insta360Studio, a great free editing package.

Imported photos and videos into iMovie and spent ages editing only to find that it crashed trying to render the video :(

Found 'DaVinchi Resolve' and learnt how to edit and export movies in that.

Rendered video and uploaded to YouTube as a private video.

I'm hoping you can see it by clicking this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqig_TBXK2Y&feature=youtu.be

Right, NOW I can get back to the Gosling.

• Like 2

Me too unfortunately, but that's only on the iPad, I'll try again later on the main computer using Chrome.

Shame the Gosling is giving you such a hard time, but I'm sure you'll get there in the end. Next time try something Tamiya.

Cheers

John

• Sad 1

Thanks Guys and apologies - I thought 'Private' meant I could post a link but it should have been 'Unlisted'; corrected at about 2:30 here. Ooops.

I'm being very disciplined and finishing the Gosling before starting the TR.9. Goodness knows why. I may allow myself to fondle the sprues tomorrow.

This looks like a Gosling:

37862246316_0e785127a6_z.jpg

... but the wings aren't fixed. You can see the sihrsc treatment it got in the background, trying to settle the 'step' into the fuselage opening which is, for some reason, curved:

24058991458_cf7870d41c_z.jpg

As you can probably see there was blood, sweat and tears, mainly caused by trying to Dexter the front part. After some time I was happy enough (although my standards are slipping).

Now you all know how much I love my Bernas for gently holding parts together, or even applying a slight pressure, but sometimes things need CLAMPING:

37862378846_def823f41a_z.jpg

Hopefully that'll teach it!

• Like 16