Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

Thanks Keith - more filler is no surprise I guess :(

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm guessing you were already braced for that. Still it is coming together nicely and seeing the bits there does reinforce my original (childhood in fact) thought that it is a lovely looking aeroplane :wub:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - she is a good looking bird isn't she? Probably the main reason I haven't binned the kit yet! :)

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Doing a grand job there Ced. :clap2: nice fix on the top vent too.

Jont.

Thanks Jont :)

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great work on the nacelles and props, Ced! Now the wings and fuselage side by side do look good!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - I have to keep 'stepping back' from the horrid detail on the kit to look at the overall model, the only thing that keeps me going! :)

More filler this morning. Just for a change I thought I'd give Squadron Green a go - Nigel uses it so I'm hoping some of the skill will rub off:

37720497526_4e787f87c1_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It's coarser than the Humbrol and smells funny but it goes on well - not 'hot' like the Humbrol and seems to start drying faster. That said it sands very well and seems to only 'stick' to the gaps:

37061732434_cc2aa0f6a8_n.jpg 37722477546_30d0263ca2_n.jpg

One of the problems with this kit is dealing with the joins without sanding away the angle on the hull. Hopefully I've sorted it by sanding at an angle from both sides rather than across the join.

A reducing number of parts:

37098811013_c50213eeb0_z.jpg

Including these nasty floats and even nastier struts:

37098814163_4c87c7e5cd_z.jpg

Note how the moldings make the tips of the floats 'vague'. The locating pins are also far too fat so they got chopped off. Now ready for some final attention; yes, a bit of filler:

23917790128_2ef60ab7b1_z.jpg

I've also cleaned up the tailplanes and filled the ejector marks:

37100875073_3002f4c616_z.jpg

Next I decided to glue in the canopy:

37512507890_8986fa2693_z.jpg

'Fits where it touches' as my Mum would have said... in other words, it doesn't fit. I needed some strong glue to hold in sides so out came the 5 minute epoxy (another Nigel recommendation). I don't use this very often and have the 'easy use' twin tube which of course had gummed up, but only one of them. Consequently when I pressed the plungers I got a LOT of one compound and none of the other. I know it's messy anyway but this is ridiculous. Hopefully some of this is the right mix:

37512643760_0ce84dc3ee_z.jpg

I then searched for something that would hold the clear part in the fuselage and NOT get stuck to the epoxy. The only thing I could find was my self-closing tweezers:

37061899844_b3042b821b_z.jpg

We'll have 'some fun' later if they've stuck to the epoxy. Gulp.

• Like 11
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

This kit is really fighting you, Ced :fight: Great progress nonetheless :clap:

BTW, for (nasty fitting) canopies, I use CA gel: it doesn't frost and sets quick-ish (slower than regular CA anyway, which can also be a plus). My :2c: 

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What a brilliant idea by Squadron - 'let's change the colour of our green putty tube from green to.....red & pink. That'll make it much easier to find on the LHS shelves!'....:D Is a degree in stupidity a pre-requisite to do well in marketing?! Anyway, it'll soon sort out those gappy gaps Ced!

Keith

PS have you read the 'health warnings' on the back of the tube? Great fun...!! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Giorgio - CA Gel, got it! I may try that later :)

Thanks Keith :) Green putty, red tube... presumably their red putty is... nice stuff anyway. I read the warnings on the back after reading your post... GOOD GRIEF I didn't know that! I'll now make sure I only use it in a wind tunnel wearing an NBC suit and then get hosed down afterwards! Toluene eh? I remember 'Doc Jenkins', our great Chemistry teacher, teaching us titration. We swirled until the colour change - 'Well done boys, now do it again' - and being told to stop after that as we had just made di-nitrotoluene and a third titration could have had interesting results!

Amazing what you remember eh?

Thanks Johnny :)

Thanks Martian - your confidence is appreciated! :)

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Hopefully some of this is the right mix

It wasn't. My fault. Canopy removed and badly mixed epoxy cleaned off:

37756718262_b96eaf0b62_z.jpg

Just a minute, I have some magic stuff for glueing canopies:

37788414481_7059fa675c_z.jpg

Amazing what you remember eh? Blobbed on, brushed in, smoothed out and then zapped with the UV torch.

That didn't work either - then I realised why it was at the bottom of the tool drawer - it doesn't stick well to clear plastic.

Amazing what you remember eh?

It did, however, make a nice surround for the canopy:

23936040028_c6b427c806_z.jpg

Right, time to try a proper mix of epoxy. To get better control over the syringes I cut the plungers apart with my cheap Dexter-like saw:

23936566548_ef38fb03d7_z.jpg

... which seemed to be not working as well as I remembered. The red plastic was clogging the teeth:

37789555561_98c8ab629d_z.jpg

Weird.

When I'm over this spell of frustration I'll have another go at the canopy.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ha yes, I'd forgotten the TNT experiment until you mentioned it! I wonder if they're still allowed to even think about that in our elf n safety age - just in case...:boom: 

Keep at it Ced, I'm sure there'll be a lovely fitted canopy by the end of the day!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :)

Attempt #2:

23939448558_6bebd459bc_z.jpg

A Nigel tip is to keep the mix on the bench so you can see when it's gone off. Should be 5 minutes eh? I'll leave it for longer than that and, if it hasn't gone off, then I think the tubes might be too old and have, er, gone off.

Perhaps I should have said 'cured' to save confusion. :hmmm:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I remember 'Doc Jenkins', our great Chemistry teacher, teaching us titration. We swirled until the colour change - 'Well done boys, now do it again' - and being told to stop after that as we had just made di-nitrotoluene and a third titration could have had interesting results

That's nothing, one Easter holiday our Chemistry teacher "volunteered" us Chemistry A-Level students (the ones he trusted anyway) to collect some free chemicals from an old boy whose Dad had a private laboratory.  Well it was an amazing place with plaques on the wall thanking for things like inventing wonder weapons and revolutionising ship propeller design and metallurgy!.  Anyway we were led out to several rotting wooden sheds (each seemed the size of a prison hut in The Great Escape etc), filled with carboy after carboy of vintage 1940's chemicals.  Having filed our Transit van with likely stuff we had a poke around in case there was anything else worthwhile.

"Sir, the whole side of this shed's full of Nitric Acid"

"Handy, we'll have some of those then"

"And sir, the other side's all big bottles of Di-Nitro Toluene, that sounds a bit like TNT"

"???%£*@@£, come out of there carefully and don't touch anything".

We left fairly rapidly if carefully, with our teacher making a phone call to the authorities.

This was in the late 70's.  H&S eh.? Even though the IRA blew up the nearby waterworks we still had a school CCF armoury full of .303s and Brens!

Nice Gosling by the way.  I've got one I want to make into the USCG version, so my filling skills will be tested to get a decent surface for the Aluminum (note speeling) paint.

Cheers

Will

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Great story Will :D I think I could do with some of those chemicals for this blasted kit!

Well the epoxy didn't stick the canopy, even though it certainly stuck the cocktail stick in the mixing pot - solid! Hmmm, I guess it's 'gone off' then? Out with the clear part, clean up and time to try Giorgio's method of CA gel:

37123836303_986dc3cd14_z.jpg

Glued one side and zapped it:

37793922491_c339b4f677_z.jpg

... which seemed to be firm so the other side was CA'd, zapped and clamped:

37745774936_b7f6a58ee1_z.jpg

Did I mention it's too wide without clamping? Well it is.

When that was cured I mixed up some black Milliput using 'the AlexN method':

23941872718_d8689315db_z.jpg

Black for blending canopies is another Nigel tip as, if any of the filler shows through the clear part, it's, er, black. Just remember to wear gloves:

37085322194_3ba1846c92_z.jpg

... like I didn't. Doh!

Anyway, after a Rob tip (moist finger) and then a clean up with a damp cotton bud I now, finally, have the canopy in:

37085475174_bbb8abb321_z.jpg

About flippin' time!

Over the pub tonight for a well deserved pint (or two). :beer::beer::beer::drink:

• Like 18
  • Confused 1

Really enjoyed your video, You seem to have enjoyed the flight.

I saw the place I visited last august. Arundel.

So the Spitfire I saw there was may be G-ILDA...

Congrats for the old Airfix ! You did great !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Over the pub tonight for a well deserved pint (or two). :beer::beer::beer::drink:

Hoping you'll fit the canopy. The side windows look also nasty deep. Clearfix on the outside? Have a nice evening. As we say here : Was muss, das muss!

22549663_1477909025664021_55934854322052

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Hoping you'll fit the canopy. The side windows look also nasty deep. Clearfix on the outside? Have a nice evening. As we say here : Was muss, das muss!

22549663_1477909025664021_55934854322052

Benedikt

Not your car, hopefully

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Nope, everyone has his own style! :whistle:

Hello Benedikt,

Is this a german car ? Look like serbian one.

The Spitfire carry it Under the wings, they choosed outside the trunk.

Beer thirsty was surely strong or may be there was a bargain on beer ??

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Great story Will :D I think I could do with some of those chemicals for this blasted kit!

Well the epoxy didn't stick the canopy, even though it certainly stuck the cocktail stick in the mixing pot - solid! Hmmm, I guess it's 'gone off' then? Out with the clear part, clean up and time to try Giorgio's method of CA gel:

37123836303_986dc3cd14_z.jpg

Glued one side and zapped it:

37793922491_c339b4f677_z.jpg

... which seemed to be firm so the other side was CA'd, zapped and clamped:

37745774936_b7f6a58ee1_z.jpg

Did I mention it's too wide without clamping? Well it is.

When that was cured I mixed up some black Milliput using 'the AlexN method':

23941872718_d8689315db_z.jpg

Black for blending canopies is another Nigel tip as, if any of the filler shows through the clear part, it's, er, black. Just remember to wear gloves:

37085322194_3ba1846c92_z.jpg

... like I didn't. Doh!

Anyway, after a Rob tip (moist finger) and then a clean up with a damp cotton bud I now, finally, have the canopy in:

37085475174_bbb8abb321_z.jpg

About flippin' time!

I looked twice the video, thank for givin'us a glance of a dream. Thank Again !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Is this a german car ? Look like serbian one.

The Spitfire carry it Under the wings, they choosed outside the trunk.

Beer thirsty was surely strong or may be there was a bargain on beer ??

Must have been something like that! No german car as there seem to be letters at the end, but an EU one, because of the blue stripe on the left.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a nervous wreck after reading through the Chronicles of Rogue Glue..luckily our man Sir Cedney Quicknozzle brooks no nonsense and subdues this Hydra-headed beast with verve and aplomb.:viking:

• Haha 6

Ced I'm running out of likes for liking each of your attempts at this wretched canopy. Glad you beat it in the end. have a well deserved beer on me.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Ced I'm running out of likes for liking each of your attempts at this wretched canopy. Glad you beat it in the end. have a well deserved beer on me.

will just add, a blue Chimay at Telford !

:cheers:

Nicely done !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1