Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

Ced, I haven't seen the full video, but your smile at take off really means all :thumbsup::thumbsup: Impressive acceleration, BTW; I did turn to side and back view as you suggested, can only imagine what it was like for you :penguin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Haha, Just came across this But I won't withhold it to you. Off Topic :offtopic:

Now I know, why they call a Volvo a Schweden Panzer or it's made of Schweden Stahl. I like to get one for chasing dark BMW/ Mercedes and Audi on the motorway while  having no distance and using their headlight flasher:

22405491_295428987532031_256202446093215

22365576_295429027532027_887897844164339

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Thanks Giorgio - I'm hoping to get a copy of the video file for editing and, if I do and can edit it (gulp) I'll post a 'bite sized' version.

Thanks Leon - glad you enjoyed it :)

Thanks Steve - you're too kind. No visor down time OR opportunities to call "Tally", despite me practising from your script!

Benedikt that's GREAT! I want one, with a rotating turret so that you can aim the barrel at tailgaters and other poor drivers. Ammunition optional?

No progress today as I've been at Aerospace Bristol for a preview day. I'm uploading some pictures now and will post (probably in chat) later.

• Like 6

Finally some progress on the Gosling. Some.

The side intakes were drilled out (before on the left):

37472638080_d2663c8937_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Flattened off with a scalpel, drilled first with the (broken) bit and then enlarged with the second, which I also broke. Fragile these (not so) cheap bits. I'll start using the Baronial ones I think.

The plan then was to open the nacelle join to close the gap in the wing position and align with the nacelle sides on the wing. A strip of plastic was stuck in to also allow shaping of the vent thingy:

37029540504_47f3f63065_z.jpg

'orrible. To reduce the work and keep the shape the nacelle halves were glued at the back to align with the bits on the wing:

37707491872_51317bd30f_z.jpg

... and joined at the front to maintain the mount for the props. Really 'orrid:

37707498032_abf6a6a5c4_z.jpg

I'll let that dry and then fill the gaps ready for some filing. Probably lots of it.

• Like 12

My ultimate aviation aim was always to hitch a fast ride in Thunder City's Lightning. Sadly, that's no longer a possibility, and even when it was possible, it was jaw droppingly expensive (but I lived in hope).

I'm glad that you got your Spitfire ride Ced, everyone should be able to realise a fantasy every so often.

The wee Gosling is coming along nicely. As has been said, you must be a masochist. It'll be quite an accomplishment when you're done.

• Thanks 1

On 15 October 2017 at 20:16, CedB said:

Benedikt that's GREAT! I want one, with a rotating turret so that you can aim the barrel at tailgaters and other poor drivers. Ammunition optional?

Me too especially for the French tailgaters, it seems to be a national sport. Only 20mm ammo though,  let's not get carried away.

John

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, CedB said:

then fill the gaps ready for some filing. Probably lots of it.

By the way wouldn't it be easier to cut off the upper vents, filling the nacelles then and glue them on again? So you wouldn't need any plastic strip for them, except they have to be wider in general. I would do so as it seems to be easier to smooth the nacelles and shape the vents. Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks John - I don't know how we solve this tailgater problem short of ammunition. My youngest drives far too close and when I eventually asked her to back off she said "But I was taught that you were OK as long as you could see the tyres of the car in front". When I told her that was when you stopped behind a car so you could pull around it if it broke down she said "Oh, right". Now whenever I see a tailgater in Bath I wonder if they had the same instructor. 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule', that's my aide-memoire.

Thanks Simon, Keith, Benedikt, Jaime and Stew - I think I'm getting there, slowly, but the phrase 'pig's ear' keeps coming into my head :)

Thanks Rob - sad you've missed the chance of a Lightning flight although I guess that would be really expensive!

Certification is going to be an increasing problem I guess as the old aircraft reach flying hours where no one knows if they're safe or not, like the Vulcan. :(

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

By the way wouldn't it be easier to cut off the upper vents, filling the nacelles then and glue them on again? So you wouldn't need any plastic strip for them, except they have to be wider in general. I would do so as it seems to be easier to smooth the nacelles and shape the vents. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt - good idea (see below) but I want to keep the front of the nacelles narrow to match the spinners. I've had a change of heart this morning...

Filed and sanded the Humbrol which has given me a rough shape to work on:

37718879502_014d9c1518_z.jpg

Out with the dental burrs and Dremel to open up the rear of the cowlings:

23897992468_0a7ac2a5c8_n.jpg 37492465260_3c03cbe768_n.jpg

... which I'll bung some black paint in at the end (if I remember).

Looking at the awful mess on the top I decided to chop off the lumps and search the stash for some suitable vent things. The sprue attachments on Eduard's Spitfire looked like a good start:

23898168128_03f1b0b044_z.jpg

... but then I saw this:

23898351858_9a13c8982e_z.jpg

Hmmm. Saw off the mess on the top, cut off the front exhaust, take a bit off the bottom...

37042307154_1e33dd5520_n.jpg 37703083166_12f02b8cc2_n.jpg

... and then stick them on with plenty of TET, pushing them into position:

37751938101_699d1566d3_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling. :deadhorse:

• Like 21

Nice work on the vents Ced. The beauty of a well stocked spares box, eh?

IIRC, a supersonic run in the Lightning was going to be about (wait for it) $20,000 Aussie shekels. Which buys a not too bad new car here. That is of course, not counting the airfares to Seth Efrika and accommodations etc. Still, it would've been one heck of a way to blow a bunch of cash.

Oh well. Back to joy flights in the local Tiger Moth...

• Like 2

Thanks Rob - crikey, $20,000 IS expensive, even for Lightning but I guess for those who've done it worth every penny dollar. I seem to remember some RAF Phantoms up for sale years ago... they seemed cheap until you saw the 'buyer collects' clause :D

Thanks Simon - I'm sure you don't want people to buy more Spitfires just for the spares :D I did feel a bit guilty to be honest but then I thought 'When will I use all these bits anyway?' Better hold onto them though, just in case.

Thanks Giorgio :)

A bit more bashing this afternoon. I keep saying I need the nacelle fronts to be the same size as the spinners so I thought it was time to tackle these:

23900293408_127b674cc3_z.jpg

'orrid, again. No, the spinners don't have bushes on the back and no, there are no thick mounts around the prop shafts. After several eye watering minutes with these tools I now have some clean props:

37725028072_b6f51b6f49_z.jpg

... and some very smooth, dusty fingers. The final madness was to add the missing intakes on the front and to try and round out the intakes using the thinnest tool I have:

37047981184_dbfed5b7d7_z.jpg

Then I suddenly re-focused back to the real world, saw the real size of the intakes and thought ENOUGH!

Onwards!

• Like 16

You are crafting that Gosling into shape very  nicely there Ced. Words like recalcitrant and intractable spring to mind looking at the raw ingredients you're having to re-fashion to the shape of an aircraft. :thumbsup2:

One for the bathroom ceiling perhaps? :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I seem to remember some RAF Phantoms up for sale years ago...

I think Mark Hanna bought one with the intention of returning it to flight - sadly that never happened... The Russians used to offer flights in Mig 29's & Su 27's. Don't know if they still do,do know I couldn't afford one!

Good progress on that ancient Airfix plastic Ced. I'm glad I don't have one in the stash - I hate throwing things away...!! :lol:

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Tony and Keith :) Coming close to the last bits now, thank goodness:

37504402070_ff9494c86f_z.jpg

Although, guess what, the fuselage needs filling.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Although, guess what, the fuselage needs filling.

I'm guessing you were already braced for that. Still it is coming together nicely and seeing the bits there does reinforce my original (childhood in fact) thought that it is a lovely looking aeroplane :wub:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1