Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

No modelling today - Backgammon game, over the pub, nap and then the new Concorde documentary (BBC 4 for UK residents) followed by the Apprentice. Still a bit washed out!

Thanks Bill - ah, the Spitfire smell! We were told in the briefing that, sadly, they can't bottle it :(

Thanks Keith :) Entry in the log book? You bet:

37592283292_7a959dbbda.jpg

172, 172, 172... 27 year gap, Spitfire! Bit of a jump eh?

Thanks John, Benedikt, malpaso, Giorgio, Ian, and Steve :)

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Whenever I feel low, I watch the "Be on the lookout for a friendly wing on your starboard side" scene. Perfect scoring.

Agreed PC - bloody marvellous! :D

2 hours ago, celt said:

I for one am not jealous of Ced flying a Spitfire,:fraidnot:  if it was a Hurricane,then I would be :jealous: with envy.BTW Ced,when I built,sorry attempted to  build this kit it ended up smashed to pieces and ended up in the council recyling bag.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Makes a change from being buried in the back garden....:tease::D

Keith

Thanks celt and Keith - hopefully I'll be able to bash some shape into the Grumman and save it from 'recycling'. We shall see!

• Like 11

Hello Ced,

Can't believe how much I'm glad for you !!:yahoo::yahoo:

Must be exhilarating ! Hope that I can fly and fly in a Corsair

I know I must cross the pond ! but still it's a dream.

Obviously, You will not tell me twice that I can have a run in G-ILDA !!

I will be strapped in before one finish to tell me that :rofl2:

That's great Really happy for you, can't wait to see the video !!

The oldest I flew in was a Morane 317, hunting for tractor in South west France !!:wicked::wicked:

And take some aerial photos of a wine yard !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Wasn't there something feeling like Top gun or so in your comment ? Ced, next time in a F-14?

F-14 I just sit in, but I ask to get in the A-6E before !!

The fighter jockey was surprised and disappointed !

And then, I've been invited by the Czech to sit in a Su-25.

So, A-6E, F-14A and Su-25 in an afternoon , not too bad !

All that wearing my RAF flight suit with the Tailhook 91 badge.

Can wear it for Telford, must be fun !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Thanks Keith :)

Thanks CC :) I hope you get the chance for a Corsair flight; we should all chase our dreams.

Thanks Benedikt - feet on the ground is a sensible attitude! :)

Cheers Johnny - go on, you know you want to!

The video is here!

It's 50 minutes so a lot of boring flying along the coast, albeit with elliptical wings in view.

It's 360o video so you need to view it on YouTube but you can move the view around by dragging the mouse or with the control on the top left.

I've asked for the original file so I can edit it but in the meantime here are the highlights:

2:20 chocks away - look left to see Andy going through the signals. The hands open/close are checks on the radiator flaps
2:56 taxy, zig zag; can YOU see in front?
4:45 Power check
Waiting for Slingsbys
5:58 Line up
6:29 Take off! Look right or behind to get a sense of the acceleration.
7:54 Lars closes his canopy (note the gap at the back)
9:00 not rain - clouds!
13:00 Portsmouth, Queen Elizabeth in the distance on the right
16:18 Cowes on the left
18:00 I have control! Look down to see one hand on the stick
19:55 stay out of the clouds! Look forward and you'll see them brushing the canopy
20:20 You have control
21:30 Needles and white cliffs - look left and down
22:39 Needles low level
31:00 Portsmouth (again)
32:15 Barrel roll #1 - the Spitfire smile! Look backwards
33:10 Barrel roll #2
37:00 that is rain - forward view
38:00 Arundel under the left wing
40:00 Tangmere? Ahead on the right
42:19 Airfield in sight (just) on the right
43:00 throttle back
43:45 Lars’s canopy open
44:45 sweeping approach
45:20 touch down
45:45 hit the bumps
49:08 shut down

Enjoy!

• Like 13

Hello Ced great video. Your countenance says more more than thousand words. At the begining a mixture of beeing a bit nervous and great excitement for a long awaited thing. Like a child waiting for its (first) christmas presents or going on its first holiday. At the rolls it's more like child on a funfair: Give me more of that, please!. Good to see you really enjoyed that. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't had chance to watch it all Ced, but your grin when he opens up the Merlin on take off says it all! She does move better than your average Cessna too....!!

I am so tempted to make a significant dent in my pension pot....!! :D After all, you don't live for ever (& if I did splash out on a flight, swmbo would likely significantly shorten my life expectancy...!!)

Keith

• Haha 4

Thanks Benedikt :) You're quite right - a mix of trepidation and excitement, great stuff!

Thanks Keith :) To be honest, most of it is a bit boring to watch and I'm not sure I'd do the 50 minute flight again... and I'd hope for better weather so we got some loops in! I'd advise anyone to 'go for it'. You might get run over by a bus tomorrow. Hopefully not, obviously, but I'd rather have a Spitfire flight than an extra weeks nursing care - horrible thought!

Where was I? Ah. Gosling. As Martin says the nacelle location pins are useless:

36932781454_c4148651e0_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... so I chopped them off, chiselled the location flat(ish) and had some sihrsc action on the wing joins.

This still leaves me with some shimming work to do on the nacelles:

23790117928_3bbc5b3cab_z.jpg

... but, hopefully, I can also use this to improve the look of the vent things on the top. Hopefully!

I'll also need to have a look for some reference images, but they seem few and far between.

Any help appreciated, especially close ups of the nacelles!

• Like 13

Hello Ced. this may help as it only has the inclined?/ inline engines:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/j4f/j4f_walk.shtml

http://www.seawings.co.uk/Widgeon-WR-ex VladYakubov.htm

http://www.seawings.co.uk/walkrounds.htm

By the way: " You might get run over by a bus tomorrow. " Is that an english phrase as I use this often in german? "Ich kann auch morgen vom Bus überfahren werden" is the thing I say  in different situations, but that has another reason. I stepped once out of a bus and wanted to cross the street in front of the bus rapt in thoughts , but a kind of a six sense stopped me walking and I took a glimpse. A bus on the other side rushed along at my nose and I could feel the wind. Hahah that was luck and I never did this again!

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't care about the kit at all at the moment Ced having just savoured every syllable of your flight report. Massively happy for you to read what a fine experience you had sir.

:yahoo:

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks like it was a phenominal experience Ced, I kept finding myself grinning on your behalf! I am, of course, still a little jealous* but very pleased you had a good flight :) 

Nice remedial work on the Gosling too, I always liked the look of the aircraft, but not the kit!

Cheers,

Stew

* I think the psychiatrists' phrasing would be "insanely jealous"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You lucky devil Ced! Well done for seizing the day and doing it!

The Gosling is a lovely plane and a horrible kit, very much like the DH88 plane/kit combo. This summer I saw a very nice preserved one in the Lisbon maritime museum that I did consider for this GB but life/work has stopped my modelling dead in its tracks. So I will watch your build instead!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 08/10/2017 at 07:59, perdu said:

I remember this one from the new Woolworth that opened on Stratford Rd in Sparkhill

I was always in the Acocks Green Woolies on the way home from school. I must have missed hundreds of buses that way.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

This summer I saw a very nice preserved one in the Lisbon maritime museum that I did consider for this GB

I should revisit the Maritime Museum. They have some nice historical naval aircraft on display there.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I was always in the Acocks Green Woolies on the way home from school. I must have missed hundreds of buses that way.

Regards,

Adrian

My wife worked there as a Saturday girl

Small planet isn't it

I didn't go to the Green often we had a good selection of local picture houses Springfield , Piccadilly and Waldorf one way down StratfordRd and the Rialto and Robin Hood t'other

And the Kings Heath ones

Most of my Woolie's money went into Sparkhill as a kid. 😃

Two Bob a week was a lot of Airfix. Back then

• Like 2

Just watched the video, Ced, even more jealous now! What a horrible job though, flying people around all day in a Spit.....

19p for an Airfix baggie when I started,and I think most of the series were under a couple of quid.....

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt :) Those links are really useful and have given me a great view of the detail, especially on the nacelles - just what I needed, thanks! Scary story about the 'near miss' with the bus!

Hi Leon and welcome :D

Thanks Tony, John, Jaime, Phil, Stew, Adrian and Ian - glad you enjoyed the video, despite the silly grin. :)

Thanks Bill - small world indeed. It's a shame Woolies didn't survive, a great shop for all sorts of stuff.

Been up to London for duaghter's birthday so not much progress to report - hopefully more soon.

• Like 3