Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

When I finished the Ju-52 @zebra asked "Do you have anything older than this or the Frog S-6B?". The answer is 'Yes!'.

23712235408_91243b3b8f_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

According to Scalemates.com this is the 2010 issue (new decals) of the 1959 tooling. The Ju and the SE.6 were tooled in 1964 - mere youngsters.

A bit disappointing as the guy who sold this to me at a show told me 'all the red boxes are new tools'. Aha ha ha.

Want some sprue shots? Are you sure? I hope you've had your breakfast...

37516152426_15c218a97c_z.jpg

37564192091_bfa2d87f7e_z.jpg

'Normal for those days' molding that looks really crisp in some places and a bit 'vague' in others.

37532420762_5bd24129a2_z.jpg

Hmmm. At least the (small) clear parts look OK:

37305613980_1c6aeeae42_z.jpg

(Molly apologises for the hair). Two schemes on the transfers:

36854089514_09efc975e6_z.jpg

... and of course I'll be doing the Royal Navy one, otherwise this would be a Widgeon.

Busy this morning but I may start it later.

• Like 20

About time, I was beginning to think you were slacking

😂

I remember this one from the new Woolworth that opened on Stratford Rd in Sparkhill

Mom and I were out shopping ( I was out mooching but it had the same effect) and we wandered in for a look round

Up on the right hand side was this amazing display of Airfix bagged kits and mom said "Pick one"

Gosling came home with me and was probably the first of my Airfixes not to get 'glue-window'

Rock on Ced I'm in mate

😁

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

Holly molly !!

This guy is a machine !!:cheers:

Hey Ced, Sure that you will make the best from this old kit !

If you don't mind, I will take a seat in the corner, next to the stove

You make me eager to get my retirement !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks Bill :) Sorry for the delay - I had to... what's it called when I'm not modelling... sleep, that's it, sleep. I also had to perform my weekly marital task; fast forwarding through the Strictly recording for Mrs B. Eh? What were YOU thinking I meant?

As usual the old Airfix kits bring out the nostalgia... great stuff :)

Thanks Zebra - ah, the memories! :)

Thanks Chris :) I know... but they're sort of picking themselves. I must have a poltergeist or something. Finished by the end of the day? Now there's a challenge. Sadly I'm out this morning but we shall see!

Hi CC :) Thanks for the kind comments - we shall see what I can do with it!

Thanks Keith :) I'm certainly a glutton! Good job Mrs B monitors my diet (damn her!)

How to slow down a modeller #6. Connect the fuselage to the runner at a right angle:

37565102451_de1bd5bd92_z.jpg

Did they have nano-saws in the 1960s? We do now! Off in a trice and some IG splashed on:

37517089146_be973dc940_z.jpg

... which nicely highlighted the ejector marks that hadn't looked too bad before. They won't be seen so they'll be ignored.

Unlike the pilot. I think I've aged with dignity but, sadly, the same can't be said of the kit pilot:

37306446860_fe84461a2b_z.jpg

Replaced with a 'Chubbie' from the stash, repainted as per the instructions 'all in leather':

36855798304_79503139c9_z.jpg

These Naval boys eh? He won't be seen either but I have my (low) standards.

A quick dry fit shows that the fuselage will need some attention and I have to go out now. Rats.

More later.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Hello Ced,

Mrs Ced is monitoring your diet ?

I'm the one behind the pan ! since This Sunday is a rest day....

Wake up at 0945 Aaaaand call up the kids !

It was full English breakfast at CC Castle !

WP_20171008_10_47_34_Pro

All is imported of course, I did bring back from my last trip !

As @bbudde will say Guten appetit !

WP_20171008_11_00_05_Pro

With my US Naval institute big mug full of cofee sorry about that.

What are you sayin' about navy lads ??? It was a matter of leather No ??

Have a good modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Hi Ced,

Here you go again! The third entry in the GB and an "oldie" again :)  I guess by the end of October this one will be in the gallery and you'll be in the middle of your fourth entry then?

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Great choice Ced. I used to fly these when I was an Airfix pilot in the mid 60s.

I flew anti-submarine patrols along Stamshaw Forshore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Blimey Ced you have the output of a WWII Soviet tank factory. Interesting choice. A mate from work built one of these a couple of years back. To say it was as rough as a Ursidae' gluteus maximus is an understantement. Good luck, oh and lovely paint job on the pilot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks Simon - hopefully I'll get to the end! :)

Thanks Benedikt :) The pilot is from the painted stash so all I had to do was re-paint the RAF blue. Great bit of box art and it's encouraged me to slow down and try harder with this one; I do have a 'soft spot' for the Gosling.

Hi CC - wow, what a great breakfast! Very envious... :)

Thanks John - more nostalgia love it! :)

Hi Jaime :) OK, I'll slow down a bit and try not to finish before the end of the month!! :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Giorgio - we shall see! :)

Hi Keith - Mum's scissors? Naughty :nono:

Hi Joe - I can just see you flying these in your youth... making vroooooomm noises I'll bet! :D

Thanks Tomo :D I'm still settling into retirement and I think I should do something else... but I'm enjoying the modelling too much!

A bit more done this afternoon. Pilot installed and windows glued in with Gators Grip:

23722944938_d1e4aed05f_z.jpg

I'll let that dry and then mask up before closing in case a window pops.

More nano-saw action (craft saw, actually) to get the wings off:

37543101572_494caf4e31_z.jpg

... and then dry fitted. There are BIG locating pegs in the end of each wing and they 'click' if you push hard, but they leave the wings out of alignment:

23723006198_0c339d62ae_n.jpg 37575305951_6874356ee3_n.jpg

... so I cut them off and aligned the wings by eye.

Similarly the nacelles don't align if you leave the locating pins on (left) but are merely 'orrid if you cut them off (glued right):

37526749456_1be3666fe2_n.jpg 36865256464_550de5747b_n.jpg

Note there's a hold missing next to the 'half intake'. I think I'll look for some reference shots.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Fun start Ced.

I have seen one of these built up nice in person so if anyone can do it, I know you can.

Personally I finally found a Grumman Goose from Sword to make into Cutter's Goose.  Will see it that rings any bells on your side of the pond.

• Like 2

Ced, the idea that you might be slightly masochistic is starting to creep in my mind .... and I think I might have said that before ... :frantic::frantic: There sure is plenty of filling/sanding/fitting to do on this kit :wacko:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are making this modelling lark ridiculously enjoyable  - there's nothing like a freshly-minted Ced-thread for setting up a pleasurable sense of anticipation.:nodding:

1959? This kit comes out and Milles Davis records Kind of Blue.

Coincidence? I think not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tomo :D I'm still settling into retirement and I think I should do something else... but I'm enjoying the modelling too much!

Do more modelling Ced - nuff said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

As @bbudde will say Guten appetit !

Yes and just before that "Moin" or "Mahlzeit"! Hope it was tasty, but this would  never be something for breakfast here in Germany. If anything warm at all there , then maybe a "getoastetes Toast mit Spiegelei" and of course "der große Pott heißer Kaffee"

Grüße aus Münster

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

I don’t think I’m alone in liking this choice Ced :winkgrin:.

When I was around 8 to 10 years old, it was. one that I always wanted, but could never find in the shops :(.

Last week I saw a Sword one sell for over AUD$120 on Evilbay :o!

I think such prices are quite an inspiration to go to town on the Airfix one. 

It’s good to see you enjoying the model making :).

Best regards 

TonyT

• Thanks 1