1/16 King Tiger Henschel Turret

I finally found one, and in Canada.  Turns out a friend has 2 so it cost me a Trumpeter 1/48 VIIC U-Boat which I bought today and traded him for the 1/16 King Tiger and ATAK Zimmerit to fit.

Both still sealed in the plastic bags and ready to butcher.

I still have that 1/16 Jagdtiger coming that might get here before Christmas so it's getting interesting and a little cramped around here.  My modelling budget is shot what with the car repair, etc but I couldn't turn this down.

Hope Trumpeter doesn't release the 1/16 Panther too soon.

Huge box and the option to have a clear or opaque turret or upper hull.  Obviously I'll have some clear parts as spares.  Metal sprockets and idlers and the tracks are individual links but they came pre-assembled.  That's good as 

it was not fun assembling the tracks for that aborted Jagdtiger I started back in January.

kWAADH0.jpgLr0dTyJ.jpg

• Like 3

Is that a half-scale armchair that box is resting on?

Booooo! at the pre-assembled tracks! I'd LOVE to assemble them myself. Something to do while watching TV methinks.

I will be following with much interest.

Rearguards,

Badder

Believe me pushing those little metal pins into the links is no fun and tough on thumbs.  No, the box is about 34 inches long.

Day 1. 

The engine is about half assembled and everything else is just dry fitted as lots of filling punch outs, masking and painting before glue.  This will be pretty much OOB with the ATAK Zimmerit added.

This is already starting off better than the 1/16 Jagdtiger as the sponsons aren't warped like they were on that kit.  The metal sprockets and idlers are a bit of a pain though.  Once again the inside row of track teeth

are too long so they need to be trimmed so the tracks fit around the sprocket properly or the sprocket isn't quite the right profile.  Filing or trimming the sprocket is not possible without a lathe now so the inside teeth become about 1.5mm shorter

and only the ones over the sprockets.

Kelly also has a 1/16 Tamiya Early Tiger I static model.  Wonder what I can trade for that???

A25ynUX.jpgn46rSot.jpgMaR6n88.jpgNXokdzg.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

Day 2

Not much progress.  Filling punch marks and sanding.   Fitted some hatches and got the sides mounted inside the lower hull.  Assembled all of the wheels and the turret ring so it sits in place.

That's a Dragon 1/35 Tiger II for a size comparison.

KARVHuZ.jpgYlgfCoV.jpgZcI8ErZ.jpg

• Like 2

Big gun and big model.  With the gun and side skirts in place it's 25" long and 9 3/4" wide and won't fit the display case.

Got the sponsons sanded finally and some sort of ivory mixed Tamiya paint on some of the interior.  Hope to get the red primer down tomorrow.

Trumpeter doesn't include periscopes for the driver or radio operator so had to fab those but otherwise the fit and everything on this kit is pretty good.

Just lots and lots of parts.

Pb0LesR.jpgBERWm5T.jpgShfgTni.jpgpd7W30d.jpgeqxcpx2.jpgRHigXZF.jpg

• Like 2

Here it is as of tonight.  Mixed up 3 bottles of Tamiya Flat Red with some Flat Black to make red primer and still ran out.  That's it until I can get to the

LHS for more red and also more white and Deck Tan to make that ivory off white color.  Lots of detailing to go yet.

Sure glad there are only 18 torsion bars and swing arms.

Q9dIxOq.jpg NW2r7C0.jpgTJq5CSI.jpgbPZ1zcb.jpgoX9Dapw.jpg4lm8p2f.jpgX72AbFS.jpggzaJnwP.jpg

• Like 4

Trial fit on the tracks. Too long so removed 2 links per side for a more realistic sag.

Started on the ATAK zimmerit.  Super glue is not the way to go.  Will pick up some 5 minute epoxy and try it so the zimmerit can be adjusted before the glue sets.

Thinking about starting the 66 shells and racks, not too enthused about that.

Here it is as of this afternoon.

3ssAP0a.jpg7R9CrvK.jpgme4W29r.jpg

• Like 2

First attempt at applying zimmerit.  Turned out not bad but needs some putty in the middle on both sides as the pieces were too short.  Probably should have butted the middle and

left the short at one end but too late now.

Here it is as of this evening.

v0vMJBp.jpgzpAjpMA.jpgG8MILdL.jpgCLvvTJJ.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Francis

Yes it does look pretty good and they sell it in 1/35 so my next attempt will be better, I hope.

Didn't really  realize how much was involved in this kit, I've now got the turret exterior completed but the interior will be a project and all those shells another.

Lloyd

Starting to look like a Tiger II now. 

Note to self, next time make sure the mounting holes for the cable brackets, tools and spare track hangers don't get filled with epoxy when attaching zimmerit.

It's a bit of a chore to dig them out after the fact.  Had to add spacers to the side skirt mounting pads due to the thickness of the zimmerit and lots of super glue to mount the skirts as Tamiya

Extra Thin won't stick to resin.

Haven't started the turret interior other than the gun and mount for display.  It's pretty involved and going to be fun to paint........not.

Still a ways to the finish line yet though.  Here it is as of tonight.

cumDIjR.jpgmusnD7F.jpgVypq1sb.jpgQc27jB5.jpgWD60vPz.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Chris

I'll beat up the zimmerit a bit on the corners and where ever and I'm spraying the wheels with red primer this AM so I can use the hairspray and chip them up some but it's going to be relatively clean otherwise.

I think it will be the old 3 color camo scheme but faded as usual.

There are several hundred punch out marks on the flat track links that will get some muck on them as I'm not about to start filling and sanding them.  Funny the links with the teeth are ok but

the flat links have 3 punch outs per link.  I filled the 8 flat links on the turret sides and that's enough.

Started looking at the turret interior and may take a break today.

Thanks for looking.

Lloyd

2 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

It's almost too big Andy, has to sit on top of the display case as it won't fit inside.

I prefer to put each one of my kits in individual cases as it keeps the dust off them :) I dread to think of the cost of a case to fit this one!

Andy

Probably a custom case, 25" x 10" x 10" and pretty pricey.  I think it will just end up getting dusted once in a while.

My 1/16 Panzer IV managed to go into the display cabinet but the 1/16 SU100 and this one will have to sit on top.

Got to invent some kind of guard to keep Mr. Kitty off though as he likes to "inspect"

Lloyd 

Starting to look like an ammo factory here and that's not all, there are another 16 shells that aren't  cleaned up and painted yet.  Then some of them have 3 decals, oh joy.

Got the turret interior assembled and painted except for all the shells to fill those racks.  Got one of the six shell racks built and installed in the hull and there's another 46 shells to mount in them.

The turret won't turn now with the shell racks in place but it's not a big deal.  Had to glue the gun solid in the mounting as the spring they supplied won't hold that long heavy barrel up.

Maybe another day of shells and racks and this one can go to the paint booth.  Still haven't painted the wheels in red primer, got sidetracked inside the turret.

Here it is as of tonight.

d1dhIhy.jpgKX7BbaY.jpgdrL4T50.jpgnuFS3Cp.jpgXOCE555.jpgCsWoiRs.jpgQACD4pr.jpgdpDSisI.jpg

• Like 2