Beaufighter Mk IIF , Gibraltar 1944

Troy Smith

another random found while searching for something else

"Beaufighter Mk IIF with Merlin engines parked in front of Gibraltar 1944"

d4dd9ab67860a155e084bb1af81c9afe--bristo

never seen this before,  anyone know more?

Squadron, Colours? 

IIRC all the Beaufighter II's I've  seen have been black.

Hope of interest,....I was about to post when I thought, hang on, now try searching "Beaufighter II, Gibraltar"

9b0a456d5bc48c06483ae869b2dbac78--bristo

24299acbe78a11b9a6dcad5ca4191236--bristo

a  bit more turns up that (of course) @tonyot  has been there and done the model already

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69077-fleet-air-arm-beaufighter-mkii-in-172nd-scale/

It was used for second line duties and mostly as a fast target for ships gunners to track and is in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue undersides. Note how the demarcation between the colours is different on both nacelles!

beau2-2.jpg

on PB,  but showing up for me on Chrome with the PB embed add-on....

hope of interest

T

• Like 7

On 10/7/2017 at 11:11 PM, Troy Smith said:

another random found while searching for something else

"Beaufighter Mk IIF with Merlin engines parked in front of Gibraltar 1944"

24299acbe78a11b9a6dcad5ca4191236--bristo

The canopy frames here appear to be left in black ?

779 Sq, RNAS North Front, Gibraltar.  A Fleet Requirements Unit which operated Beaufighter IIs (amongst other types) from June 1943 to disbandment in August 1945.  Sturtivant FAA Aircraft associates 5 serials (T3087, T3148, T3418, T3439, V8169) with the squadron but others recorded as "To Gibraltar" may not have gone further east.  Sturtivant FAA Squadrons says that some squadron aircraft bore individual codes but doesn't give any serial/code correlations.  Suggest colour scheme is TSS with Sky undersides but NB Ron Belling records similar aircraft (eg T3137) with 726 and 789 Squadrons in South Africa as having TSS uppersurfaces and AM Sky Blue undersides: he certainly distinguishes the undersides colour from the Sky on Hellcats seen on the same occasion.

The Beaufighter II seems to have been the FAA's preferred Beaufighter variant - or more likely it was the variant the RAF could spare most easily.

The later nightfighter scheme of Sea Grey Medium with Dark Green on the uppersurfaces was not uncommon on RAF Beaufighter IIs late in their career eg with OTUs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funny enough Troy, I bought the CMK conversion two weeks ago to model either the 779 Sqn variant or one from Lee-On-The-Solent shown in Sqn's of the Fleet Air Arm. As Seahawk said above I planned to do it in TSS. Just yesterday I found another one online in Trincomalee: 

history.net/WW2Memoir-Indomitable-Whiteing2.htm

Scroll down a short distance on the right.

I’ve been looking at Beaufighter pix for my build and have gone rather cross eyed doing so! I had come across Troy’s first photo before but not taken much notice because mine is a Mk.I not a II.

As for FAA usage I think the II was the main mark for the FAA because yes the RAF didn’t like them.

As for @Troy Smith remark about always being Night, I have the Sturtivant tome on FAA squadrons and there’s is a Mike Keep illustration there of a natural metal/silver example complete with squadron crest on the tail where otherwise the fin flash would be. I can’t find a photo and I’m wondering whether it is one of those illustrations based on a description rather than a photo?

Trevor

EDIT

this from Wings Pallette (not the Mike Keep drawing though)

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/296/pics/9_62.jpg

• Like 1

How much I love these Merlin-engined Beaus! Polish 307 squadron was using them for some time between Defiants and Hercules-engined Beaufighters, so they have some publicity in my country. I remember I had a picture of one in black, with powerful looking engines when I was a kid.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ve been looking at Beaufighter pix for my build and have gone rather cross eyed doing so! I had come across Troy’s first photo before but not taken much notice because mine is a Mk.I not a II.

As for FAA usage I think the II was the main mark for the FAA because yes the RAF didn’t like them.

As for @Troy Smith remark about always being Night, I have the Sturtivant tome on FAA squadrons and there’s is a Mike Keep illustration there of a natural metal/silver example complete with squadron crest on the tail where otherwise the fin flash would be. I can’t find a photo and I’m wondering whether it is one of those illustrations based on a description rather than a photo?

Trevor

EDIT

this from Wings Pallette (not the Mike Keep drawing though)

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/296/pics/9_62.jpg

It is in 'Sqns of the Fleet Air Arm' 1st edition page 143: 789 Sqn, Wingfield, SA. I thought aeromaster did some decals for this in 48th but havent found any. High planes do one of their decal options for this scheme but the photo definitely does not show any camo upper surfaces which they have used.

It isn't in my 2nd edition.  However there is a picture of T3223 L1P in FAA Aircraft 1939 to 1945.  Apparently in the later night fighter scheme. 

But W9Q is in the 3rd edition - showing it to be very highly polished.

Edited by Graham Boak

On 10/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, gingerbob said:

Funny, I just saw that first shot in the last few days while searching for Beau stuff.

3 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Funny enough Troy, I bought the CMK conversion two weeks ago to model either the 779 Sqn variant or one from Lee-On-The-Solent...

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ve been looking at Beaufighter pix for my build...

Looks like it's Beaufighter season!  (Although I may wait and see what Revell comes up with...)

bob

While we're on the subject, has anybody done a conversion in 1/72 for a IIF? If so, which Lancaster kit would be the best donor for the engine nacelles, and would inboard or outboard units have the best fit? I am thinking about using one of my Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk 1 kits. I know I will have to remove the oil coolers, but I am not sure about the fairing doors for the undercart- were they different between the Mk 1 and the IIF? Am I also correct that the Merlin cowlings attach immediately in front of the main landing gear strut attachment/bulkhead? I know the nacelle upper fairing will have to be changed, but I have the High Planes IIF kit to use as a guide. I know I'm crazy, but I want to use my Hasegawa kit instead of building the HP kit, as I need the experience, and the HG kit has much better detail parts; in addition, I have the CMK cockpit and wheel bay sets, as well as the Eduard etched set. Will also use the Lanc  props, which will have to be reshaped, from the look of the photos Troy posted,  and spinners. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but am hoping Graham or ToT will be able to guide me. Thanks in advance, and hoping I haven't uncorked another can of the infamous  wiggly annelids!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
edited wordage

The Beaufighter Mk.II was a bit early for paddle-blade props.  They don't seem to be carried on the FAA ones even in 1944/45.  The Merlin installation was claimed to be as a "power egg" so should attach directly onto the bulkhead - looking at the highly polished W9Q the fasteners at the edge of the cowling do go right up to the bulkhead, but the cowling has another vertical panel line just ahead of the wing.  I suspect that if you have the HP kit in front of you, you'll be able to judge when you have the pieces in front of you.  I'd have thought that any of the current Lanc kits will do for engines.  Or the older Airfix one, for that matter, which may be available cheaper.

@72modeler

See this link....

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=27273.0

Part way down the page is a schematic for the Merlin installation. Can’t vouch for the accuracy but it gives a starting point.

The ‘power egg’ should be identical for the Lancaster and  Beau. I think it was designed for the Mk.II and the idea was picked up for the Lancaster (or was it the other way round?). Anyway make sure that the radiator intake is the  shallower type and not the deeper style used on the FE configured Lancs. If you look at the difference between the intakes on PA474 (FE) and CWH’s ‘Vera’ the difference is plain. I’m not sure which (if any) kits have the deeper type, but it’s best to be forewarned.

Trevor

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@72modeler

See this link....

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=27273.0

Part way down the page is a schematic for the Merlin installation. Can’t vouch for the accuracy but it gives a starting point.

The ‘power egg’ should be identical for the Lancaster and  Beau. I think it was designed for the Mk.II and the idea was picked up for the Lancaster (or was it the other way round?). Anyway make sure that the radiator intake is the  shallower type and not the deeper style used on the FE configured Lancs. If you look at the difference between the intakes on PA474 (FE) and CWH’s ‘Vera’ the difference is plain. I’m not sure which (if any) kits have the deeper type, but it’s best to be forewarned.

Trevor

Exactly what I needed to get started- thanks a million, Trevor!

Mike

• Like 1

72 Modeller - the Merlins are narrower and less deep in profile than the Hercules. Consequently, on the upper side of the wing, the fairings aft of the in-line installation are smaller in length, height and width by a significant amount. I'm not sure about the underside details. You would need to completely modify the wing/engine fairing shape to get a Mk. II from a Mk. I. 

I've contemplated doing this conversion, and keep coming back to the High Planes kit as the only sensible route.

KE

1 hour ago, styreno said:

the Merlins are narrower and less deep in profile than the Hercules. Consequently, on the upper side of the wing, the fairings aft of the in-line installation are smaller in length, height and width by a significant amount. I'm not sure about the underside details. You would need to completely modify the wing/engine fairing shape to get a Mk. II from a Mk. I. 

for ease of reference...

note dihedral tail plane here

250485e6a3590c208412b0bcd932d259.jpg

Bristol_Beaufighter_AL-61A.jpg

as can be seen the Hercules require big fairings over the wing,  and as most Beaufighter kits are Hercules based,   thsi creates big holes....

CMK  in 1/48th  have a resin wing insert.

flat tail here

beaufighter+black.jpg

useful there are a couple of clear upper wing shots.

as for the underside,  from a quick eyeball,  I suspect the underside nacelle is the same or similar,  as the UC stayed the same,  and the Merlin is lower slung

bristol+beaufighter+II.jpg

this seems to lack UC doors

Photo_beaufighter_Mk1F.jpg

255_Squadron_RAF_Beaufighter_MK_II_at_RA

the sketch Trevor mentions looks reasonable compared to the photos.

mk_ii_nacelle.jpg

beaufighter_mk2_side_view.png

For those considering this in 1/48th, there is the CMK set, which is a fair chunk of change, and work

build (of a MkV actually)

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/beaufightervds_1.htm

review

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/beaufighteriireviewto_1.htm

Falcon Models did a full vacform,  which High PLanes are selling with decals

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/falcon-bristol-beaufighter-ii-with-high-planes-decals-kit-1-48/

Not found any build of this online  (or stockists in the UK)

the Mk.V was another example of the RAF turret obsession.....   but does look rather neat.

bristol-beaufighter-mk-v-prototype-19410

apparently the two prototypes were issued to squadrons to test.

there is this profile,

9_52.jpg

but I've never seen a photo.....(and a closer look at caption says "as it may have appeared")

• Like 2

1 hour ago, styreno said:

72 Modeller - the Merlins are narrower and less deep in profile than the Hercules. Consequently, on the upper side of the wing, the fairings aft of the in-line installation are smaller in length, height and width by a significant amount. I'm not sure about the underside details. You would need to completely modify the wing/engine fairing shape to get a Mk. II from a Mk. I. 

I've contemplated doing this conversion, and keep coming back to the High Planes kit as the only sensible route.

KE

Well aware of the upper fairing differences between the two- I had given thought to  cutting a rectangular section of the Hasegawa kit upper wings  to remove the radial engine nacelle fairing and substituting either  sheet of plasticard or a suitable airfoil-shaped upper section from a pair of wings in  my spares bin. The small, triangular-shaped nacelle fairings would be easy to do from a suitable wood or plastic master and vacforming a pair of replacements. I can always use the ones that are on my HP kit as a reference.  Not that big a deal, as I have to whack off the LE oil coolers, anyway, and my rectangular cut will be wide enough to get rid of them at the same time. Of course, as soon as I make the attempt, somebody will release a new-tool injected IIF or an aftermarket firm will do a IIF resin conversion. (Colin, are you out there? For the new Airfix kit, please!)

Mike

On 9.10.2017 at 8:49 PM, GrzeM said:

How much I love these Merlin-engined Beaus! Polish 307 squadron was using them for some time between Defiants and Hercules-engined Beaufighters, so they have some publicity in my country. I remember I had a picture of one in black, with powerful looking engines when I was a kid.

Indeed, in Poland we have soft spot on Mk II. I made many years ago scratch conversion of old Frog kit and Airfix Lancaster engines left from doing Manchester conversion. If anybody wish to see it is here:

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4

Stevehnz- Thanks! Have ordered the magazine, which I vaguely remembered seeing back in the day, but did not know which issue- Airfix Magazine and SAM always had great conversion articles, many by Alan. I have almost all of the SAM issues, but very few Airfix magazines.

J--W it was your conversion and another one I saw recently in 1/48, which used a resin conversion set, that got me thinking about doing one; I also think the IIF with the dihedral tailplane is the bee's knees!

Thank you both for your responses!

Mike

• Like 1