Colours of British insignia on Kingcobra.

kotey

Begemot decal now prepare big decal for P-63 Kingcobra in 1\72 and 1\48 scale.

One of marking scheme will be one of two P-63A - Kingcobra Mk.I  FR408, which tested at Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE)/

One of big question - which shades of Dull Red and Dark Blue used in this time at insignia?

Hi Andrey

despite much talk,  I suspect the use of the brighter pre war colours is pretty limited,    they certainly don't turn up in the few colour images from the time.

see  here, scroll down

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1483031215

By the time of  the Kingcobra  i'd be very surprised if they were anything  other than "Red" and "Blue"  from the chart below

bstablegb_1.JPG

"Matt Red and Matt Blue" are the brighter pre war colours

this is a scan of the RAF colour chart to be found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two,

HTH

T

• Like 2

The re-introduction of bright blue and bright red roundel colours was promulgated in Air Publication (A.P.) 2656A in 1947 which provided the stores ref. numbers and nomenclature for the "new" paints (Bright Red and Bright Blue), together with a note that existing roundels were to be replaced when the supplies of paint became available. This was formalised in A.L.42 of 1 Nov 1947 which stated at Para 6.1.3 that "the colours (of roundels) shall be bright".

DARD Technical Circular No.8 (Preliminary Issue) of 6 Feb 1946 from MAP to Resident Technical Officers had cancelled DTD Technical Circular No. 360 Issue 2 and set out the provisions for the peace time camouflage and identification marking of aircraft, but stated in respect of roundels:-

"14. The roundels as detailed in diagrams 8 and 10 of DTD Technical Circular 360, Issue 2 are to be retained for the time being.

Discussions are taking place with regard to the proportions of the various colour bands of the roundels and also with regard to the colours of the paints to be used. Full particulars on these points will be issued as soon as received from Air Ministry.

15. The position of roundels to be used on any particular aircraft is to remain as heretofore."

A 7 Feb 1945 amendment to DTD 360 Technical Circular Issue 2 formalised the earlier operational instructions that from 7 Jan 1945 all aircraft except PRU and those camouflaged for night operations should revert to red, white and blue roundels on the upper surface of the wings. The revised dimensions specified were for the white portion to be half the diameter of the roundel and the red portion 3/8ths of the diameter. I can't post pics here and the integral text is too lengthy to transcribe but I'll post the diagrams 8 and 10 mentioned above at my blog.   

Nick 

• Thanks 1