1/48 Revell P51-D - Short Fuse Sallee

So, after a steep learning curve here is my first attempt at foiling.

It's the oollllllllldddddddd Revell kit with about 20 bits to it.

Foiled with aluminum tape and painted with tamiya / vallejo air acrylics.

Decals are Aeromaster Mustangs Forever part 4 (superb by the way - other than the starboard tail serial number which I managed to get stuck to my finger without noticing until an hour later and by that point it was knackered. My own fault).

There are a LOT of wrinkles and residue from the ali tape which has spoiled it a bit but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with this.  If I do another foil job (distinct possibility!!) I've certainly learned a few lessosn ;)

Hope you like.

DSC_5470

DSC_5471

DSC_5473

• Like 12

Lawzer and @exdraken ... Lawzer the residue can be taken care of with an earbud and some IPA.

Exdraken go ahead its not as hard to do as it looks ive got 4-5 under my belt. And aluminum really does look the part as you can see. You must have something in the pile o shame or on the shelf of doom to practice with. Look at lawzers or at @rob Lyttle builds with his F-86’s. Or you can have a look at my stuff in the RFI section. I am just finishing decals today and tomorrow on my latest an EE Lightning and will have that in the RFI by next weekend. 

• Like 2

Good foiling exercise!

Though in fact, the P-51 wings usually weren't natural metal but painted with silver dope after the joints were puttied and then sanded down – all to give the laminar flow airfoil the smoothest conditions. And the elevators were fabric covered, so matt aluminium paint would look more convincing…

Nice work, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

looks great here!

A tecnique that I always want to try... but even starting seems too much :D

I've got nothing in the stash that would suit this foil technique - but it looks fun - so I might have to invest in something that should be 'shiny'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I am just finishing decals today and tomorrow on my latest an EE Lightning and will have that in the RFI by next weekend. 

I for one will be looking forward to seeing your RFI - keep us posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

I've got nothing in the stash that would suit this foil technique - but it looks fun - so I might have to invest in something that should be 'shiny'.

I was trying to think what you could do raf/luftwaffe wise.....

spitfire maybe?  Or an me262 would look nice ;) although not exactly accurate!!! 😆

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2