PK-109 Junkers Ju 188 - FINISHED

GREG DESTEC

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi mate,

Sounds like a good plan. There must have been a lot of bits left over from that project.

Cheers Greg

Good morning

sadly not, this is roughly 25 years ago and the result and the rest of both kits are long gone. 

From the 188 i have used the engines and the tailplane only, i am not sure about the undercarriage.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Nice start. Looking good already.

Thanks Thom216,

Once I get the pit sorted, this one should progress very quickly owing to the low number of parts. 

Cheers Greg😀

45 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Managed to miss this one so far. I'm looking forward to following your progress with this one. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

You've not missed much. I am working on the cockpit at the moment. I hope to post some progress pics later.

All the best 

Greg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work so far Greg.

The Ju-188 is a cracking looking aircraft and the Matchbox one looks to be quite good, for some reason I don't think I built this one in my youth so i will have to make up for it by watching your build instead.

Craig.

Thanks Craig!

The Ju 188 doesn't get an airing often despite being a good looking subject. The Matchbox kit builds up very easily but has one or two problem areas as Old Thumper pointed out. I am trying to beef up the office a bit before closing the fuselage. After that it will not take long to finish. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Update 2:

Pictures speak louder than words (sometimes!) so.......

37632888891_4630c7b43d_z.jpgIMG_2535 by G DSC, on Flickr

37373844300_5292a33f44_z.jpgIMG_2536 by G DSC, on Flickr

37600425252_8531385926_z.jpgIMG_2537 by G DSC, on Flickr

37373841680_bcab5f79fe_z.jpgIMG_2538 by G DSC, on Flickr

37632881211_3b3edb6566_z.jpgIMG_2539 by G DSC, on Flickr

37373838700_6ba64a9fc0_z.jpgIMG_2540 by G DSC, on Flickr

37373836960_fe2dda2ac3_z.jpgIMG_2541 by G DSC, on Flickr

So the last picture is my wip for the gunners turret ring/seat/cage. Its quite prominent and helps fill the big space between the pilot and the rear gunner/radio man.

The figures are from a Revell set but i think may be ICM in origin. They are a bit undersized but are an improvement on the Matchbox guys. I have decided to build the model wheels up so have attched the gear doors in the closed position. These have still to be cleaned up a bit, and i will rescribe the rear doors which have faint raised panel lines.

Thats it for now feel free to comment. 

Thanks for looking, cheers Greg ;)

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Pleased to see everything going well.

Another thing is the fuselage halves can be a bit springy when the time comes to glue the canopy on, I think I had to clamp mine together to get them to meet up correctly.

Yes, I know what you mean.

I have been doing plenty of dry fitting especially with the rear cockpit glazing. Speaking of which, how did you deal with the seam over the gun blisters? 

Cheers Greg

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

I just painted the seam in as part of the framing, I couldn't think what else to do without making new blisters and I didn't want all that trouble.

I like your thinking OT. I have tried polishing out a flaw caused by the clear part coming off the sprue, and the seam is only visable on the blister parts but I can live with that. 

Cheers Greg. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Nice work there on the office greg, the little fellas look nicely painted too they'll look the part under the canopy, 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn,

They are nicely detailed but a bit on the small side. Maybe the magnifying effect of the thick glass will make them look the correct size.

Cheers Greg😉

• Haha 1

Update 3:

36982645753_634248c90b_z.jpgIMG_2542 by G DSC, on Flickr

37604662456_9bcbf188cf_z.jpgIMG_2543 by G DSC, on Flickr

36943031734_ac2f5f93ee_z.jpgIMG_2544 by G DSC, on Flickr

36943045294_4bb7543f76_z.jpgIMG_2545 by G DSC, on Flickr

So from the top: fuselage joined, and two of the three crew installed. 

The gunner position. Hmmm...a tad over engineered on my part! It looks like hes sitting in a back cage ladder! This little structure was perhaphs too difficult a scratch for me. Once i had it all put together it bent out of shape somewhat. Still not too much will be seen once its installed in the cockpit.

Wings: gear doors at the back rescribed and front doors tidied up a bit.

Finally fuselage with the start of the scribing on the raised panel lines. A bit tedious to be honest but too late to change my mind now!!

Anyway thats it for now. Next update should present somes thimg that looks like an aeroplane, i hope.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Looks great so far, your addition in the cockpit are a major improvement.

Cheers Bernd!😀

Scratch building is not one of my strengths but I wanted to give it a go on this project. The gunners cage is somewhat crude but not much can be seen behind the thick transparencies.

I will try to post some update pics this weekend as the airframe is together now and painting has begun.

How's the Canberra going?

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Bernd!😀

Scratch building is not one of my strengths but I wanted to give it a go on this project. The gunners cage is somewhat crude but not much can be seen behind the thick transparencies.

I will try to post some update pics this weekend as the airframe is together now and painting has begun.

How's the Canberra going?

Cheers Greg

That sounds like a well running Project :penguin:

....just have a look :pilot:

• Like 1

Update 4:

37450969440_ea233e37fe_z.jpgIMG_2546 by G DSC, on Flickr

23855224278_898e3f7fb3_z.jpgIMG_2547 by G DSC, on Flickr

Nearly there now. First pic is the assembled airframe as Matchbox intended (without the engines) in its "natural" colours.

Basic camo applied in pic 2 ready for the stripes, which the instructions tell me should be light grey. The upper gunner mg has broken off (typical) but i managed to save it from the carpet monster so should be reattached for the final update. 

Thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg ;)

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, old thumper said:

From what I read the stripes should be the same colour as the underside. I'm not a Luftwaffe expert at all though, and sometimes it is just nice to follow what the box says.

Thanks OT,

I was thinking the same but couldn't find any images relating to the proposed scheme. In the end I started doing the stripes earlier today in light grey per the instructions.

Cheers Greg

22 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Coming along nicely!

Mike.B)

Cheers Mike,

Thanks for looking in.

All the best Greg😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Some lovely work dude. Great save with the split wing, she’s looking great under paint too. 

Cheers :yes:,

It's almost finished now. Just a few touch ups and the transfers, I hope they are still good to use.

All the best Greg😀