PK-109 Junkers Ju 188 - FINISHED

GREG DESTEC

Its been a while since i built any Matchbox models, and consequently i am looking forward to this a lot!

It took a while to decide on a suitable victim from the stash but eventually i came up with this one....

36880608173_886a49d90b_z.jpgIMG_2525 by G DSC, on Flickr

37518444952_86cfe199e5_z.jpgIMG_2528 by G DSC, on Flickr

37518451412_e878770833_z.jpgIMG_2526 by G DSC, on Flickr

There may be trouble ahead...!

37518448262_252f6ec671_z.jpgIMG_2527 by G DSC, on Flickr

Not unfixable.....

Look at all that groovy 70's plastic. I wonder how or who decided to use these colours???!

This will hopefully be the first of a few entries by me as i do not anticipate it will take long to build.

Thanks for lloking, cheers

Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
TITLE
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Great choice mate :)

Beside the Flak hit in the wing the kit looks pretty nice as well the cool boxart.

Which version is your favorite ?

Hi Bernd,

The one with the stripes looks the better of the two to me. This afternoon I did a dry fit with tape and it goes together nicely. The large cockpit transparency comes in four parts and shows a big empty space in the office so i may try  to fill it up with bits and pieces. 

Cheers Greg 

• Like 3

Guess both aircraft had a standart RLM70/71/65 standart camo as base. The one with the stripes looks really nice, go for it :)

The right Cockpit side had a large instrument panel, the Pilot had an armored seat with a side console to the left.

The rear wall of the cockpit had the radios installed along with some ammo containers and hoses for the machine guns.

You have a good hand with painting figures may the guys will do the Job alone.

Cheers

• Like 2

This kit reminds me of a holiday in Great Yarmouth when I was 10, where I bought it at a shop on the seafront. I also finished it in the stripes and loved it, so will be watching with interest :popcorn:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Nice choice greg,good looking kit,  didn't know these had folding wings though :P

Glynn

Thanks Glynn,

That would be the naval version for the ill fated Graf Zeppelin aircraft carrier ;) lol.

Cheers Greg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Guess both aircraft had a standart RLM70/71/65 standart camo as base. The one with the stripes looks really nice, go for it :)

The right Cockpit side had a large instrument panel, the Pilot had an armored seat with a side console to the left.

The rear wall of the cockpit had the radios installed along with some ammo containers and hoses for the machine guns.

You have a good hand with painting figures may the guys will do the Job alone.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips Bernd. I will see what I can come up with.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafalbert said:

This kit reminds me of a holiday in Great Yarmouth when I was 10, where I bought it at a shop on the seafront. I also finished it in the stripes and loved it, so will be watching with interest :popcorn:

Yeah,

Brings back good memories don't they? 

Cheers Greg :yes:

38 minutes ago, Arniec said:

Great choice Greg. I will be watching this one.:popcorn:

That broken part will be fixable.

Cheers,

Hi Arniec,

The plastic on these old kits can be quite brittle but is definitely able to be fixed. 

Looking forward to getting stuck in to this one.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Glynn,

That would be the naval version for the ill fated Graf Zeppelin aircraft carrier ;) lol.

Cheers Greg

...i really like that idea :penguin:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Look at all that groovy 70's plastic. I wonder how or who decided to use these colours???!

I think there were only three paints available on the colour chart in the 1970s. Orange, Brown and Baby Poo Green. That's it. I seem to recall that all British Leyland cars came in these three colours too.

Looking forward to the 188 build. One of the few Matchbox kits I didn't build back in the day.

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Apart from the wings coming in two halves (outer and inner) its not a bad kit to glue together. The main thing I didn't like about the kit was that there are no clear parts for the lower glazing, I think I painted the windows in on my one mine using humbrol gloss metallic black.

I found research little difficult, I remember the stripes were pale blue rather than white and I have a feeling the aircraft was based on the Bay of Biscay rather than the Baltic.

30540007711_5a8f0b522c_k.jpg

29996351324_5ecbef49c7_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I will say, that I too thought it was a wing fold at first, in the first pic. But, a broken part just signals a time for a modeller to shine!;)

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Thom216,

I'll give it my best shot.

Cheers Greg:party:

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I think there were only three paints available on the colour chart in the 1970s. Orange, Brown and Baby Poo Green. That's it. I seem to recall that all British Leyland cars came in these three colours too.

Looking forward to the 188 build. One of the few Matchbox kits I didn't build back in the day.

Best regards;

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think your right on that count!

The 188 is not seen that often so in thought I'd give to a go.

All the best Greg.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Apart from the wings coming in two halves (outer and inner) its not a bad kit to glue together. The main thing I didn't like about the kit was that there are no clear parts for the lower glazing, I think I painted the windows in on my one mine using humbrol gloss metallic black.

I found research little difficult, I remember the stripes were pale blue rather than white and I have a feeling the aircraft was based on the Bay of Biscay rather than the Baltic.

30540007711_5a8f0b522c_k.jpg

29996351324_5ecbef49c7_k.jpg

Nice job on the 188 OT,

I will be chuffed if mine turns out as good as yours. The Matchbox paint guide is bit vague with the colours, and I agree that there's not much out there by way of reference to the type in general. I have been beavering away at this one today and hope to post an update later.

Cheers Greg 😀

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 3

Update 1:

37545118392_d43c479610_z.jpgIMG_2529 by G DSC, on Flickr

Dry fit with masking tape, all looks to fit well, dig the fab luminous camo!

36866874064_6a609fc68d_z.jpgIMG_2530 by G DSC, on Flickr

Main wings assembled, including repair.

37318560370_fbc20b5062_z.jpgIMG_2531 by G DSC, on Flickr

Detailing (broadly speaking) to the office underway...

37318554150_24fa77b8bc_z.jpgIMG_2533 by G DSC, on Flickr

Close uo of cockpit floor, white plastic card additions to spli the flight deck.

37318550370_0ef8185991_z.jpgIMG_2534 by G DSC, on Flickr

Side wall panels, still to do a bit more on these but at least they fill the spaces out a little.

Thats it for now folks. I'm enjoying this one. Any comments welcome.

Thanks for looking. Greg

• Like 11

Basicly the Matchbox Ju 188 shapes up quite well, my last one was the victim of my first kit bash, i used it and the old Revell Ju 88C to get a Ju 88G back in the days.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BerndM said:

Basicly the Matchbox Ju 188 shapes up quite well, my last one was the victim of my first kit bash, i used it and the old Revell Ju 88C to get a Ju 88G back in the days.

Hi mate,

Sounds like a good plan. There must have been a lot of bits left over from that project.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Pleased to see you were able to overcome the problem with the broken wing. This coming along very nicely.

Martian

Thanks Martian,

I hope to keep up the pace with this one. 

The plastic on these old kits is very brittle, and cutting the cockpit floor up produced more repair than I anticipated. 

More soon, I hope.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1