PK-109 Junkers Ju 188 - FINISHED

GREG DESTEC

18 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

great progress Greg.Looking forward to the finished article.

Cheers Steve,

Almost done now. I am using the kit stand as well seeing as its wheels up! :smile:

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

That splinter scheme looks so good! I think the stripes could be RLM 65 as the undersides, or RLM 76 as the fighter a/c undersides are. You takes your pick! V-P

I have gone with light grey as the instructions er...instructs:huh:

Transfers went on very well considering they are 40 odd years old!! I just need a Matt coat to seal them in and I am done 😊

• Like 2

Final update - all done!!

A very enjoyable build made all the more so by all your kind comments and encouragement - thank you :D

I finished off the model which is wholly brush painted in acrylics, by stippling on the stripes. The transfers are the kits own and worked very well for being 40 odd years old!!

Unfortunately the photos showed more flaws than my human eye could note, and there is a gap in the glazed area, which was tricky to line up. Oh well....

Posted in the gallery, but heres a couple more shots of the finished article. Now, what do i do next? Havoc? Bf 110?? Halifax??? or the B-25......all suggestions welcome.

23976235958_67794dbca3_z.jpgIMG_2551 by G DSC, on Flickr

23976247998_3fda511371_z.jpgIMG_2553 by G DSC, on Flickr

23976245128_31972a18a5_z.jpgIMG_2555 by G DSC, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Cheers 

Greg B)

• Like 13

That just looks great Greg, use of the kit's decals and mounting it on the supplied stand is certainly in the true spirit of this GB. 

The options for your next choice are all very tempting, however you don't see too many Bostons built, so I'd have a soft spot for that. 

Cheers and well done... Dave. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That just looks great Greg, use of the kit's decals and mounting it on the supplied stand is certainly in the true spirit of this GB. 

The options for your next choice are all very tempting, however you don't see too many Bostons built, so I'd have a soft spot for that. 

Cheers and well done... Dave. 

Thanks Dave,

While Matchbox kits are not the most detailed kits around they are very good in outline and are tremendous fun to build. 

The Havoc is a recent acquisition of mine and one I never built back in the day so it's a strong possibility.. ideally I would like to do them all time allowing, but we will see.

Cheers Greg 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Now, what do i do next? Havoc? Bf 110?? Halifax??? or the B-25......all suggestions welcome.

Well done with the Ju 188 it looks grand.

Bf110, Mitchell, Havoc or Halifax is a tough choice. The Havoc Green Hornet is probably my favorite of them, but thinking objectively the Halifax or Bf110 are probably the better of the kits. If I was forced at gun point to choose out of the four of them I would say Bf 110.   

33831174276_52e8db8723_k.jpg

31021285406_857fabd020_k.jpg

30128120454_a766cb6f5a_k.jpg

30734307786_5e6c4c0d20_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 8

Cheers Old Thumper,

That's a great line up of the kits in question. All very well done. Are there any kits from the Matchbox range you have still to build?

I will make my decision about which one to do next over the weekend as I want to keep the momentum going. I forgot I have a couple of Beaufighters as well! 

Cheers Greg 

17 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Old Thumper,

That's a great line up of the kits in question. All very well done. Are there any kits from the Matchbox range you have still to build?

I will make my decision about which one to do next over the weekend as I want to keep the momentum going. I forgot I have a couple of Beaufighters as well! 

Cheers Greg 

Thanks.

The Beaufighter is not a bad kit to build, the main thing that lets it down is the engine cowlings which are conical rather than drum shaped. When I built my Beaufighter I used scrap cowlings from the spares box and added a few panel lines to break things up.

37120710774_a0eb76170c_k.jpg

I only really go for World War Two subjects so haven't built any of the Matchbox jets since returning to the hobby, I built quite a lot as a kid though. Probably only built about half of the World War Two aircraft kits, I will build all of them eventually and then maybe move on to jets.  

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nicely done Greg, well done.

As for your next choice my personal favourite would be the A-20 Havoc/Boston.

There is something special about that old Havoc kit that makes it look much better than it should, it's probably the box art and Green Hornet decal option that does it for me.

• Like 1

Well done Greg! Your 109 in the Gallery looks fantastic! I do like the stippled paintwork! Great job! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well done Greg! Your 109 in the Gallery looks fantastic! I do like the stippled paintwork! Great job! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix,

I did the wings using rough masks, then did the rest free hand and it turned out ok. Kind of stripping and dry brushing combined.

Cheers Greg:smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, old thumper said:

There is something special about that old Havoc kit that makes it look much better than it should, it's probably the box art and Green Hornet decal option that does it for me.

I like the Green Hornet version too, I will decide which kit to do next shortly.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, BerndM said:

Beautiful result ! Love the striking and the well applied paint Job. Good work mate !

:thumbsup:

Cheers Bernd:yes::yes:

Thanks for the positive feedback.

All the best Greg

• Like 1