Airfix 1/48 Walrus

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

God, you are so far ahead of me that it's embarrassing!  Nice job

True, but you have done the interior PE and extra detailing I have steered clear of for this build. Apart from that, I changed my mind to rig it so you will probably overtake me while I am driving myself nuts trying to wire it up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the reason that I have posted little update son the Walrus lately, the rigging. The rigging above the engine is very fine fishing line (stolen from my daughters hand reel) while the rigging underneath the engine is Ez-line. I used superglue to start with but it leaves unsightly patches and kinks the Ez-line while white glue takes a bit longer but dries clear. The underneath section is still in progress.

file.php?id=16590

file.php?id=16589

• Like 1

So the fun begins. The rigging on the engine module is done, engine on and the wings just glued on. The rigging of the wing commences when the glue on all that dries. It will be turned upside down and, using Ez-Iine, I will be starting to rig it by gluing the top rigging points then adding the lower wings and working on the lower rigging.

file.php?id=16612

file.php?id=16611

• Like 2

I found a structural consideration to take in to the building of the upper wings and engine module. When I glued the centre section on I should have pinned it in some way as I found the section pulled away from the struts with the weight of the wings pulling down on it. This should not be a problem, hopefully, when the wings are all on there and glued/rigged.

Edited by Harvs73

The rigging has started but I have given it up for the moment in frustration as the superglue takes too long to set which has resulted in some of the rigging being too loose.

I have glued on one side lower wing and started the rigging with the access being slightly easier without the other side lower wing. Once this side is complete the inner rigging on the other wing will be harder to get to but will eventually be done.

Using fishing line has resulted in a bit of structural strength just like on the original aircraft. If Ezy-line was used I don't think the wings would be a rigid as they are now.

file.php?id=16638

file.php?id=16637

• Like 5

Looking great David

Just one thing - and I'm sorry I should have noticed this earlier, it probably isn't helpful now - you're supposed to snip off the horizontal bar between the tailplane struts after installing them - it isn't there on the real aircraft. I nearly missed it on mine, it's not all that clear from the instructions. Hope it's not too late but if it is, you're in good company, the build in Airfix Modelworld missed it too!

On 25/12/2017 at 8:19 PM, zebra said:

Looking great David

Just one thing - and I'm sorry I should have noticed this earlier, it probably isn't helpful now - you're supposed to snip off the horizontal bar between the tailplane struts after installing them - it isn't there on the real aircraft. I nearly missed it on mine, it's not all that clear from the instructions. Hope it's not too late but if it is, you're in good company, the build in Airfix Modelworld missed it too!

Thanks, fixed it easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...