Jammer Fortress! 1/72 B-17G Fortress Mk.III

As others have observed but I will reiterate; superb camouflage effect and weathering.

May I ask what paints / mixes you used for the dark earth and green?

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers
  • Thanks 1

Really fantastic! The 17 looks so different in those colors as well as coastal command.

Thanks for sharing.

All the Best!

Don

ps is that an LA Kings emblem on your avatar? Blackhawks fan here....thank god it's hockey season.

• Thanks 1

Great looking fortress.

I was not aware of a Jammer version - any more details?

What did you weather it with?

Any idea what is the small bulge just forward of the supercharger on #1 and #4 engines?

Ran

• Thanks 1

The answer to your question about the bulge Ran is "flame dampers".  When the B17s were brought over to the UK their first stop was at the Scottish Pioneer Aviation factory to have flame dampers fitted so that there would be no tell-tale exhaust flames visible at night for nightfighters to home in on.

An excellent Fortress III Habu, beautiful finish and superbly weathered.  You say it was built OOB, does that mean that the Airfix kit is provided with the H2S etc option for a Fortress III of 214 sqdn?

Max

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, Michael Enright said:

As others have observed but I will reiterate; superb camouflage effect and weathering.

May I ask what paints / mixes you used for the dark earth and green?

Michael

Both are good ol Testors MM enamels. Right out of the bottle, and I add a little black for postshading.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:26 AM, galgos said:

The answer to your question about the bulge Ran is "flame dampers".  When the B17s were brought over to the UK their first stop was at the Scottish Pioneer Aviation factory to have flame dampers fitted so that there would be no tell-tale exhaust flames visible at night for nightfighters to home in on.

An excellent Fortress III Habu, beautiful finish and superbly weathered.  You say it was built OOB, does that mean that the Airfix kit is provided with the H2S etc option for a Fortress III of 214 sqdn?

Max

That is correct. The H2S radome is part of the original B-17G release anyway, so we always knew this version was coming. As for the rest of the mods, the tall aerial, the tail yagi antenna, the flame suppressors and tires all come on a new sprue thats added to this kit. So, in essence, if you buy this kit, you can make a regular B-17G out of it.

Lovely build. The finish looks spot on to me. 

It's odd how seeing a familiar plane in a different suit and tie makes you look at it differently. All this time and I hadn't picked up on the somewhat sinister look of the canopy on the B17. The dark colours on your model really bring that look to the fore.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2017 at 3:58 AM, DJJunis said:

Really fantastic! The 17 looks so different in those colors as well as coastal command.

Thanks for sharing.

All the Best!

Don

ps is that an LA Kings emblem on your avatar? Blackhawks fan here....thank god it's hockey season.

I wanna do a coastal command as well. But that's an F model ;)

Yes, that is in fact the emblem of the Two-Time Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings. :D

On 10/14/2017 at 6:40 AM, Ran said:

Great looking fortress.

I was not aware of a Jammer version - any more details?

What did you weather it with?

Any idea what is the small bulge just forward of the supercharger on #1 and #4 engines?

Ran

All weathered with Tamiya weathering sets. I usually use A,B,C,and E. Gives me the mud, oil, soot, snow (for deposit stains), gray, green and sand colors.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:26 PM, Dan214sqn said:

Great job. My uncle was a wireless op on 214. Sadly KIA. A few years ago we found his crash site in Norfolk and recovered parts of the aircraft . 

Wow! What a story! :surprised: