PK-42 T-2C/E BUCKEYE - 1/72 Revell ex Matchbox #FINISHED#

nimrod54

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the Radial Engines Rock GB has finished I have managed to do some further work on this build. After making a backing plate to help with mounting the forward instrument panel I fixed it in position and also took the time to check the fit of this against the canopy screen. 

38853097601_b67b22c54b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The wings had a couple of areas where the plastic had sunk so this was filled and sanded to match the profile. They have now been attached but there are some large gaps at the roots that will require more filling and sanding.

38822120272_7ae1f7dbb8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38853095971_1238f52e44_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Time to move this along. A few weeks ago I filled the gaps around the wings so that should reduce the chances of the wind whistling around the cockpit. Today I fitted the fixed canopy section and masked the cockpit before adding a coat of grey primer. Most of the joints seem to be OK with a small amount of work still needed around the exhaust and it should be ready for colour. 

39596117661_f0282b3cff_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I am not sure whether to stick with grey primer as a base for the International Orange or spray this over white, suggestions are welcome (try and keep 'em clean :winkgrin:).

• Like 7

Sweet little build. This is one of the very few Matchbox's that I never built. Must remedy that :hmmm:.

Definitely go with a (mucky) white ;)

Or, tho, I've heard, pink or yellow could be useful as undercoats and nothing too mucky there to boot!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Looking good there John.

I've only ever used white as a base for orange or red - the one time i used grey primer, the red was really dull and flat on top of it.

Admittedly l was using a brush as opposed to an airbrush but I imagine the principles are the same?

Keep up the great work!

Dermot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to push this one on a bit more today by adding a few missing details such as the strakes at the top of the airbrakes and a couple of intakes on the lower half of the rear fuselage. I then airbrushed on some Insignia White using HATAKA's Orange Line and have completed masking up in readiness for the International Orange.

39941219242_e9c3c9432e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39941219632_4253d35f82_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

I applied HATAKA's International Orange (FS12197) this morning, then removed the masking once it was dry. One or two areas will require some paint touch up, with one glaringly obvious spot on the starboard tip tank, I can then finish the last of the detail painting along the leading edges and the intakes before starting on the decals.

28205258159_3b29cc870d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

28205257749_46c3c4489b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

Ain’t it amazing how a splash of bright paint can really bring out a model? This is looking great and well on its way to be completed and displayed in the gallery. 

Loving it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:26, Thud4444 said:

That's really nice. The orange looks fantastic. 

Cheers Thud4444. It's the first time I have used HATAKA paints and I'm pleased with the way they have gone on.

50 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ain’t it amazing how a splash of bright paint can really bring out a model? This is looking great and well on its way to be completed and displayed in the gallery. 

Loving it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, as you say a bit of colour makes a big difference. It should make the gallery before the deadline, I have masked up the wing tip tanks to sort out the orange/black demarcation and painted the leading edges on the wings/tailplanes tonight. I've been working on the wheels and undercarriage in the background and I'll be masking up the fin leading edge tomorrow. A light rub down and some clear should then have it ready for decals.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:55, stevej60 said:

Outstanding model in the making here John, beautiful painting.

Thanks for the really kind comment Steve. The fine pigments of HATAKA's paint and some careful masking have helped me to achieve a nice finish.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:22, Hockeyboy76 said:

Love the orange. Very bright even without the pink 👚 undercoat. 😂

No pink primer this time around bud, but I fancy making some other training types so I will definitely be trying that process out on some future build.

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work John, you really are making a fantastic job of this classic kit.

The orange and white scheme is a real eye catcher, I have a soft spot for schemes like this and ones with lots of dayglo or arctic red.

Really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Thanks very much Craig, it is good of you to be so complimentary. When I look in my display cabinet a lot of the models seem to have a splash of bright colour on them and I must admit that I am attracted to bold colour schemes. I have added most of the decals this afternoon so this one looks different again tonight, just the intake warnings left, and I plan to use some black decal stripes to neaten up the tank demarcations.

25176030177_85f0508d30_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25176029257_142a0dee75_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

That Buckeye is just looking superb!! 

Got to join you in the 'bold colour schemes' stakes - I reckon they are always eye catchers and your gonna deliver a very nice addition to the GB Gallery with this kit.

Very well modelled.

Cheers... Dave   

• Like 1

I made a start on adding the final details this morning, fitting the undercarriage, the u/c doors and canopy, just some final bits to tidy up and it should be ready for the gallery. I was hoping that the new base I have ordered for this would have arrived by now so that I could have taken the final shots tomorrow, but no show as yet, so it may be early next week before I take the final photos now. Anyway, here are a couple of snaps of how things are looking to date.

40152590312_4300aae376_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40152591132_73229cdbc8_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13