PK-42 T-2C/E BUCKEYE - 1/72 Revell ex Matchbox #FINISHED#

nimrod54

After a rummage through my unmade kits I stumbled across this Revell re-box of Matchbox kit PK42 T2 Buckeye. Here is a shot of the box and its contents along with the Pavla update set for the cockpit.

37271144960_ffeb50725c_c.jpg

36860030513_0dd0885cdb_c.jpg

37271143690_796d6bfc08_c.jpg

36860031083_6c4166d62a_c.jpg

It looks as though I had intended starting this at some point in the past because the main parts (Fuselage, Wings etc) have been separated from the sprues and then packed away again. If this is an issue then please let me know.

I will take some close up photos of the sprues tomorrow to show the relevant Matchbox number before making a start.

• Like 8

Hi John, Welcome to the GB. Nice model you have picked for it.

That it is just started is no problem. That is still way below the 25% rule.

Nice with a resin cockpit. 

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your interest and the comments and gents. Whilst waiting for some bits and pieces for other builds, I decided to make a start on this one by removing the major resin parts from their casting blocks then giving them a coat of primer in prep for painting.

37619373451_5fb6823f96_c.jpg

37619372591_fd37ae14ab_c.jpg

37619374261_f766a60b83_c.jpg

The next job was to remove the moulded detail from the fuselage halves ready to receive the resin cockpit and after several hours of cutting, scraping and sanding I achieved an acceptable first fit. Further work is required to complete this but I have to fit the resin nose wheel bay before I continue because this fits to the front of the cockpit tub.  

37587040772_539d756370_c.jpg

37587041862_1c659e47a3_c.jpg

37587041302_9200b6eb35_c.jpg

Until next time. Happy Modelling.

• Like 13

Hi John,

As nice as Matchbox kits were, I cannot feel sorry to work on some nice, boring light grey Revell plastic, as opposed to colored plastic in the worst possible taste.

Having said that, the panel lines cannot pass for anything else but Matchbox!!!

The Pavla cockpit is a huge improvement and this will look real nice once finished.

Great show so far

JR

• Like 1

Thanks to @jean, @Romeo Alpha Yankee and @dude_gan_ainm for their kind comments.

Work has been steadily progressing, in between doctors and hospital appointments, and I have almost completed the cockpit tub, just a small amount of sidewall detail to scratch together and I can fix this in position. I had a struggle trying to fit the nose wheel bay in the space indicated in the instructions (which are a bit vague when it comes to explaining how things go together) and I am still not happy with the result, I will see if I can improve this when I commence the final fit of the completed assembly.

37648261346_fdd481cac8_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr 

The instrument panels require a wash then some gloss on the dials to represent the glass, that should see those finished too.

37648265206_f933ce6caa_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments chaps, I've made a start on fitting the cockpit and once I had fixed it into one side I started to join the fuselage halves. I had to do some sanding to the tub to close a gap and glued sections at a time leaving the nose joint for the moment. I am going to leave the glued section clamped up overnight before closing up the nose tomorrow.  I'm not entirely happy with the fit of the resin parts, I think that I should have done a bit more sanding and scraping, but things were starting to look a little thin around the intakes and I didn't want to risk breaking through.

24316052368_5914303ac2_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

I've also replaced what I assume is the pitot on the fin with some brass tubing which should at least please @Hockeyboy76. :winkgrin:

24316051548_2617a33b10_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Look at that brass tube in all its glory. Hope you get the nose closed without any issues. 

Molly seems to be getting bigger too buddy. 

Steady on now matey, it's only a bit of tubing. I glued  and clamped the nose this morning and it should look OK when it is cleaned up. I am more concerned about filling and sanding that trench on the fuse/fin join on the stbd side.

Molly is 18 weeks old now and weighs a healthy 6.5kg. Over the past week she has taken to pinning me down by placing her paws on my chest whilst she dangles her soggy chew toy in my face. She waits for me to take 'Sog Frog' and throw it across the room before then starting the whole the process again. Fun, but not pleasant, I can't wait for her to grow out of that one. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Don't dismiss the excellent work you have put into this kit John. the brass tube being a great example.

Thanks for the comment Craig. I tend to use a fair amount of brass tubing usually as replacement these sort of parts and particularly when making 1/144 scale models. In fact so much that @Hockeyboy76 thinks that I may have shares in Albion Alloys, :D hence the light hearted ribbing.

I ran a sanding stick over the seams last night and they look to be fine, at least the nose won't be a contender for the Karl Malden look alike contest and a bit more filling and sanding should take care of the tail trench. I had a quick test fit of the wings too, but these require some further work to add lights to the wing tip tanks and a clean up before I can fit them.

38177042512_5b4258d372_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

38177043472_f5b6a3593a_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

Looking at the completion dates for the GB's that I am involved in, some of my builds will have go on the back burner for a short time otherwise I will be in danger of not completing anything. Updates on this one may not be as frequent for a few weeks, but I will slot stuff in whilst waiting for paint to dry etc.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Shares in them? When I received my tubing it had Johns name and address on it crossed out 😉.  I’m stocking up now before another order goes in!

He does do good stuff with it though.  Keep up the great work dude. 

• Haha 1

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Arniec said:

You have done a great job sofar John:thumbsup2:

Can't wait to see it with some paint on.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold, just working my way up the order of group builds by completion date at the moment, so things may slow down on this for now. I am still hoping to have it ready for paint soon though, by working on it as and when time allows.

• Like 1