Boeing BOAC 747-600

Abandoned Project

A long time ago on a modelling forum far, far away I started a project I am determined to finish and due to me having trouble posting pictures on said forum I decided to bring this project across to where all my other crazy ideas (they just might work!) are.
so to begin the 747-600 if built would have been the longest 747 ever at 279 feet long with a wingspan of 250 feet. This means stretching the fuselage by 100mm with a 40/22/38mm split and the wings by 48mm each.
tn_b1c37b4e-b88a-4960-be98-6823555c6315.jpgtn_fc6b6c31-ae07-42af-8824-adbf2da8d0b6.jpg
As you can see I have elected to keep the stretch to a minimum by removing as little as possible from the SUD and upper section while still achieving the same stretch as the first time below
tn_75d43a21-eee2-4c35-89da-ec2c7dfae5df.jpghopefully I will start assembling the two sides of the fuselage and get some pics with my standard 747-400 for reference.
A long time ago I decided to build a 747-700 as well but I must admit (defeat) that I have come to my senses as that is not going to happen (unfortunately). But i am now building a (poss. Thai Air) 747-8i and a Cargolux 747-8F to go with my old school Thai Air 747-400 and Gulf Air 747-600.
  • Like 2

Boeing never developed a twin body 747 but this did become a 1/20th scale model at the 1996 Farnborough airshow and go for wind tunnel testing. this is more a what might have been than complete what if. anyway while this didn't see full scale it was just one of many design studies that slowly morphed into the 747-8. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

finally got the fuselage into one piece! :yahoo:

tn_a62f86f7-a5db-4fef-b738-e075975141aa.

here is a birds-eye-view to show the length

tn_3bcb9f23-dfb3-4d1e-ba58-c439e5c82378.

when finished it (got to be PC and gender neutral ;)) will be 590mm long with a 535mm wingspan compared to the standard 490mm by 446mm of the 747-400, then all i have to do is build a display cabinet for it and the rest of my 747 collection to reside in.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

that's one big bitch of a Boeing - wouldn't it be great if they really existed to shame those big ugly double decker buses from Toulouse that have  infested and over complicated our international airports

sorry - I am a very big Boeing snob

keep calm and Boeing on 

• Like 2

Ah, the A380. 10 years old and already being mothballed and sold on to charter companies while the 747-200 is still in use. I think the writing is on the wall. 

I'm a little bit of a Boeing snob myself. Essentially the 747 and the A380 fulfil different business models and airlines seem to be favouring the point to point model over the hub and spoke. Boeing 1 - 0 Airbus 😉

Edited by dadofthree
  • Like 1

In a moment of fickleness have decided to change to this

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/ba-reveals-boac-747-400-retrojet-for-centenary-celebrations/289026

wadda ya think?

Have had to update the link with the good news from BA. Not such a whif now. 

Edited by dadofthree
Update link
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alittle bit of a backstory  (something I never had for the Gulf Air 746).

At the Farnborough Airshow in 1996 Boeing displayed the scale models of the 747-500 and 747-600 in the hope for some orders. Although there was plenty of interest, none of the big airlines would place an order until the sales team found a MoU from 1973 from BOAC when a similar size stretch was offered. The memo stated that when suitable engines were available an order would be placed. BA said that they were not in a position to honour the agreement from 1973 but after several weeks of talks between Boeing's and BA's legal teams a deal was struck. This gave all the momentum needed for Boeing to fill the order books with just enough orders to get the project going. As the construction progressed, the price tag grew and potential buyers pulled out including BA. At this point Boeing approached the UK government  and pushed for BA to be forced to honour the deal. What happened next nobody is quite sure how or why it happened, but it did. The UK government decided to take on the project and pay for Boeing to finish the world's only 747-600 in the colours of the company that originally ordered it, BOAC. It was finished in August 1998, was certified in February 1999 and flew under BA's control til 2010 when it took up residence at Duxford.

Edited by Abandoned Project
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Unfortunately I have allowed myself to get distracted with my fleet of what-if aircraft (imagination outweighing modelling time). I'm currently working on my 747-400Y and 747-Xstretch wings and engines as well as the wings for the-600, and building a 777-300ER (I bought for the landing gear) OOB, wheels up of course. Plus the IL-86 and the 2 747-8i as well. I really should try and focus.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/12/2020 at 22:19, Abandoned Project said:

Unfortunately I have allowed myself to get distracted with my fleet of what-if aircraft (imagination outweighing modelling time). I'm currently working on my 747-400Y and 747-Xstretch wings and engines as well as the wings for the-600, and building a 777-300ER (I bought for the landing gear) OOB, wheels up of course. Plus the IL-86 and the 2 747-8i as well. I really should try and focus.

I'm glad it isn't just me who has loads of projects on the go simultaneously, and as a result nothing ever seems to get finished!

• Haha 1