PK-39 F-5B

azureglo

:wub::Tasty: I am missing that one from my collection. Nice to see it in the GB. Good luck with your build.

I will watch this one as I have got the single seater.:popcorn:

Cheers,

• Like 1

The F-5 has a great shape and together with the colorful livery it will become a real looker.

You dont need to sell me on the F-5 Bernd, I was so taken with it I even built the Hobbyboss/Minihobby abomination last year. Very "pretty" little plane, even available for civilians that have the cash.

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Long time since our Telford encounter, Nigel. This one is a nice simple no frill, no etch, no nonsense build. I'm itching to try out my new upgraded photo studio complete with tethered, remotely controlled full frame DSLR and various expensive macro lenses. Lets hope I don mangle this beast too much.

A

• Like 2

A gentle start, MB don't do much in the way of cockpit detail, so staying true to the the OOB rules, just tamiya tape belts and some seat painting for the ejector lazy boy recliners. FS36231 for everything methinks as it was closest and American:

pit.jpg

Gee, I was thirteen when this was first released and mangling  a Revell Skycrane I got on my birthday courtesy of my eldest brother.

seats.jpg

zippedup.jpg

Wow, this is fun again, a few hours and a zipped up fuselage, modelling as it used to be.

Cheers all,

Anil

• Like 10

A new thing for me , liquid gravity noseweight. Seeing as @Tony Oliver clarified that its not lead and should not react with its preferred application agent, plus I have a couple of bottles, I gave it a go:

liquidgravity.jpg

noseweight.jpg

While I was at it, I had a go a at rescribing, not as bad as I expected it to be. The gaps etc are to be expected in a 70's kit and easy enough to fill.

fuselage.jpg

The canopy on the other hand has some fit issues:

canopy.jpg

I'm going to use milliput fine on this and shape it while wet to avoid sanding & micromeshing but I think I may be overoptimistic on how well it may work. 

A

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

I would use black Milliput on those canopy gaps to avoid any show through.

Good point Nigel, thats one tip to remember. I wonder if a smidge of superglue would also work. They dry clear and are sandable to a smooth finish. Might want to Clear the canopy first Anil. 

This kit is looking  great and like the other Matchbox items on show here, I’m watching each and every one with keen interest. 

I might even decide to host a Matchbox III GB in five years time! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I would use black Milliput on those canopy gaps to avoid any show through.

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good point Nigel, thats one tip to remember. I wonder if a smidge of superglue would also work. They dry clear and are sandable to a smooth finish. Might want to Clear the canopy first Anil. 

This kit is looking  great and like the other Matchbox items on show here, I’m watching each and every one with keen interest. 

I might even decide to host a Matchbox III GB in five years time! 

Cheers.. Dave

@Rabbit LeaderCanopy already Futured and I use Roket odourless already as my canopy glue but its sanding I wanted to avoid and it turned out surprisingly well, lots of hot water and improvised shaping tools but it seems to have done the trick. @Nigel Heath Black Milliput doh! , so obvious but that's what sets you apart from us bodgers, you think through stuff! Considering the small fortune I spent on getting black superglue that is en route from Japan, this is as easy as popping into my LMS , yes I have one!

filled.jpg

Just dry fitted the wings, interesting multi part assembly that seems designed to create gaps...maybe they had a deal going with Milliput? Bet the 13 year old me couldn't have cared less, ah simpler times...

wingjoin.jpg

A

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

A small update, I braved the multiple gaps and milliputed then sanded like a fool: It looks acceptable, only primer will tell...

filler.jpg

Added coloured nav lights to the tank tips, these will be fun to mask.

tanktip.jpg

Now I've got some modelling time, lets see if we can this this primered, I've got a Fury Tempest arriving shortly...

Cheers

A

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

New contract firmly sorted, it's primer time:

primed.jpg

A quick blast or two of Mr Color C311 for the undersides:

underside.jpg

Need to pick up the pace a bit but I have a tortuous 4 PM drive around the M25 every day so subject to fair weather, main camo starts tomorrow. Noticed that my delicate scribing has mostly vanished until you get to about two inches away/

Cheer

A

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Another small update: Three colour camo airbrushed freehand:

camotop.jpg

camobottom.jpg

Tomorrow is glossing for decals using that bottle of Mr Super Clear UV cut being used as a stand in the first pic, this may yet make to the finish line.

A

• Like 9

I learnt something about about 30 year old decals: They have 30 year old glue.  Each one had a mass of opaque white glop that needed to laboriously and carefully wiped off with a cotton bud.

decalglop.jpg

decalclean.jpg

Still , floated on with a drop of Future they seemed to work well and snuggle down. The bottom was bare so I put on some random crap from a part used Hobbyboss sheet. 

decaltop.jpg

decalbottom.jpg

decalside.jpg

Currently drying and tomorrow sees the matt coat, detail painting and hopefully finished on the weekend.

A

• Like 7