Phantom FG Mk.1 - Inboard Pylon Weight Limits

Richard E

Although they would probably contribute to a rather sluggish performance, would the FAA's Phantom FG Mk.1's inboard pylons be rated to carry a 2,000 lb payload?

I have an idea for an Airfix Phantom finished in a "WHIF" scheme carrying a pair of GBU-24 2,000 pound Paveway Laser Guided Bombs on its inboard pylons........ 

I know your plan is a WHIF, so this is a bit subjective.

The British Phantoms used the US Navy type pylons. They were just lumps of metal with no internal ERU to load stores onto (that design was for the USAF Phantoms).

To load any store a MWA (multiple weapons adapter) had to be bolted to the pylon. Then a CBTE (carrier bomb triple ejector) was fitted.

Finally the required bomb(s) or rocket pods were loaded to the CBTE.

phoca_thumb_l_cat5.jpg

n2blsp.jpg

This would make the 2,000lb Paveways a bit low to the ground.

WHIF though, so ..........meh!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I know your plan is a WHIF, so this is a bit subjective.

The British Phantoms used the US Navy type pylons. They were just lumps of metal with no internal ERU to load stores onto (that design was for the USAF Phantoms).

To load any store a MWA (multiple weapons adapter) had to be bolted to the pylon. Then a CBTE (carrier bomb triple ejector) was fitted.

Finally the required bomb(s) or rocket pods were loaded to the CBTE.

Hi, Phne Phixer,

I have read that the "Navy pylon" was specifically designed to carry a Sparrow and that it could carry it straight, without any adaptor, launcher or rail added (which would be needed to carry anything else), but that would contradict your information.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

15 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Phne Phixer,

I have read that the "Navy pylon" was specifically designed to carry a Sparrow and that it could carry it straight, without any adaptor, launcher or rail added (which would be needed to carry anything else), but that would contradict your information.

Fernando

Hi Fernando.

Yes, I have read of the ability for Aim 7 Sparrows to be fitted directly on the navy pylons. They were rail launched rather than ejection launched.

British Phantoms never used this though, it was not a recognised load. Sparrows and the later Skyflash were only loaded onto the 4 Aero 7a launchers recessed in the fuselage underside.

In the air defence fit, inboard pylons had the Aim 9 Sidewinders loaded onto the Lau 7a launchers bolted to the side. No ground attack weapons could be loaded without the sequence I put in my above post.

Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, Fernando said:

Hi, Phne Phixer,

Fernando

Perhaps of interest?

• Like 2

Loved it. Great film and a really interesting look at that era of technology.

I just remember using TRACOR in the early days of my career, before GPS became a standard fit.