Canberra PR.9 ( Revell 04281 )

BerndM

Hi all, the postman brought today my ordered Canberra kit. Re-Released by Revell some years ago with an excellent new decal sheet i finally got one for a good price.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great choice. I have got both boxes, so will be very interested to see how it builds up. 

Cheers,

Thank you, it is one of the Matchbox kits i have never build before.

The kit came yesterday and i have compared the parts with photos and the instructions which showed some details of the real thing, missing on the kit, may i add some of them.

Basicly i plan to build it oob.

Have a great day mate :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John_W said:

The kit is missing a few lumps and bumps and any detail in the wheel wells, but builds up reasonably nicely.

That was my Impression, crude but looks like a Canberra.

May i can add some stuff outside, the cockpit needs no detailing under the thick canopy not to speak from the navigators cockpit.

All in all it looks like a good build and welcome reinforcement for my 1:72 collection.

Thats a real beauty ! I see also some add ons done by you.

Did you have used nose weight or is the fuselage resting on an invisble little stand ?

Just now, Arniec said:

You can build it with AM if you like. That is no problem.

OOB as possible, some antennas can be added for example and the "dingdbums" at the tail plane as well.

Before starting some photos of the box and what it contains:

cover

Boxart

The sprues and details. The "bomb bay" will be closed anyway.

The instructions with both marking schemes. They  are very detailed and Revell provides the BS Color numbers.

also some further details about this aircraft. This is something i really like.

The real highlight are the decals. 

Looks like a good build wich will start later on.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 6

Looks great Bernd!

Have you decided which decal option to go with? 

The sprues look flash free and nicely rendered. I look forward to your progress.

Cheers Greg 😉

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

I have previously contemplated buying this Revell edition of Matchbox’s Canberra, especially after seeing the great decal sheet. The kit is a little on the basic side, however that was the mantra of Matchbox kits anyway. After all for almost 30 years this was the only 1/72 PR.9 on the market, so it really should be celebrated. I’ll look forward to the progress of your build. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks great Bernd!

Have you decided which decal option to go with? 

The sprues look flash free and nicely rendered. I look forward to your progress.

Cheers Greg 😉

Hi Greg, it looks indeed very nice on the sprues and it will be the Canberra from the "Best Focus" competition. 

The relative large and less detailed surfaces needs a striking three tone scheme with loads of stencils, the beauty in Hemp needs some recessed panel lines, washings and shadings maybe something for a PR.9 from Airfix.

I have also a german RF-4E from the same NATO exercise.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I have previously contemplated buying this Revell edition of Matchbox’s Canberra, especially after seeing the great decal sheet. The kit is a little on the basic side, however that was the mantra of Matchbox kits anyway. After all for almost 30 years this was the only 1/72 PR.9 on the market, so it really should be celebrated. I’ll look forward to the progress of your build. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

Thanks for commenting Dave, Revells Canberra realese becomes more rare here in Germany and more expensive. Thats maybe similar in your country as well, so you should not wait for too long. The decal sheet is worth the buy alone.

The older Revell issues and the original Matchbox kits have collectors prices.

Considering the age it is still a good kit and worth to build. 

Cheers

Bernd

Saturday afternoon, shopping is done and it rains outside :).....

The pilots cockpit, bulkhead and front wheel bay in place as a good start, i have also cut the wing parts and tail planes out and cleaned them a bit.

I won t do much in the Cockpit but the Instrument panel need some care.

• Like 4

The results of yesterdays modelling session.

The exhausts are not really deep you look at a wall, so i cut it out and sanded it smooth. Now you look at a wall but much deeper inside. The whole affair was painted in black ( Humbroll Hu 33 acrylic )

181919a

Some smaller bits....

The wings are together

I have made holes for the static dischargers at the outer wings.

The Sunday started with some sanding.

Not a perfect fit but o.K.

I hope you enjoy the build as i do.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 2

I should relocate my copy of this kit: I hadn't previously noted the "PRU" badge.

For a 1982-era aircraft or later (some earlier schemes too) you're going to need to make the RWR antenna fairings for the fin leading edge and fuselage tail cone.  Both are shown quite clearly in the painting instructions.  Matchbox provided neither, having opted for colour schemes from earlier periods in their initial issue, and Revell, understandably, haven't updated the moulds to include them as far as I can see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I should relocate my copy of this kit: I hadn't previously noted the "PRU" badge.

For a 1982-era aircraft or later (some earlier schemes too) you're going to need to make the RWR antenna fairings for the fin leading edge and fuselage tail cone.  Both are shown quite clearly in the painting instructions.  Matchbox provided neither, having opted for colour schemes from earlier periods in their initial issue, and Revell, understandably, haven't updated the moulds to include them as far as I can see.

Thanks for commenting, you should place your kit on the "to build" pile !

i have found some fitting parts for the missing RWR antenna, some old missiles, the rest must be scratch build.

May the Canberra page has a photo from this aircraft.

1 minute ago, BerndM said:

Thanks for commenting, you should place your kit on the "to build" pile !

i have found some fitting parts for the missing RWR antenna, some old missiles, the rest must be scratch build.

May the Canberra page has a photo from this aircraft.

You're right, I should.

Small missiles sounds like a very good starting point: bombs and radomes can be useful too.

I haven't checked the Walkaround page on here, but Canberra Kid's website (sorry, can't post a link) has plenty of material for us to play with.

• Like 1