Edge

Hi All

i mistakenly bought an old-toll Revell (ex Matchbox) Halifax recently and have decided to use it as a bit of a plaything and experiment with new techniques. One thing I'd really like to crack is scribing panel lines. I've managed to restore those lost to filling and sanding on previously built kits but this monster is more like a blank canvas! - except for the few trench-like gouges in the plastic.

My questions to the gurus here are:

1. What's the best method of filling the existing trenches? I'm thinking of using superglue & talc mix rather than sprue gloop as I think the latter may weaken the plastic?

2. How do I transfer the panel lines on the plans to the plastic? Is it a case of picking suitable datum so and working from there by measurement? I plan to draw the lines onto the plastic first so mistakes can be erased before I scribe.

Thanks for any tips

Edge

On 10/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, Edge said:

1. What's the best method of filling the existing trenches? I'm thinking of using superglue & talc mix rather than sprue gloop as I think the latter may weaken the plastic?

2. How do I transfer the panel lines on the plans to the plastic? Is it a case of picking suitable datum so and working from there by measurement? I plan to draw the lines onto the plastic first so mistakes can be erased before I scribe.

^Pretty much that.

If you can, print out the plan (or the parts you need) to actual size. Or use a bit of maths jiggery-pokery to work out the measurements.

To be honest, a lot of time I just eyeball it using known reference points.

After doing the scribing (or in my case riveting) I splodge on a thin wash then wipe it off, just to see what I’ve done a bit easier.

MHTZgEM.jpg

Mart